Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confirmation of new V8 for Holden

Confirmation of new V8 for Holden

Holden confirms a 260kW 6.0-litre V8 and an upgraded Alloytec V6 from next month

By MARTON PETTENDY 13 December 2005
    IT’S official: Holden has confirmed it will replace its current 5.7-litre Gen III V8 with a more powerful and more efficient 6.0-litre version within two weeks.

Holden boss Denny Mooney said that from 2006 Holden’s staple V8 will become a 260kW/510Nm version of General Motors’ new 6.0-litre Gen IV.

"We are going to come out with a 6.0-litre V8 this year," he said. "We're happy to take another step with our V8. We think it's just a good move from a refinement standpoint.

"(It has) good, strong, low-end torque that people that buy V8s want and enjoy ... the right balance between economy power and refinement."

Holden’s GM-sourced Gen III V8 joined the Holden range in June 1999 with the release of the VT II Commodore line-up, in which it offered 220kW/446Nm. It replaced Holden’s long-running 5.0-litre V8, which delivered 195kW/430Nm in its final form.

But the Gen III doesn’t meet Australia’s strict new Euro III-based 2006 emissions regulations, and it’s believed adopting GM’s new V8 was more cost-effective than upgrading the Gen III.

As reported by GoAuto two weeks ago, many Holden dealers are already taking orders for Gen IV V8-powered models, stocks of which will be in dealerships by the end of December.

Codenamed L72 but dubbed "LS1.5" by Holden insiders, the 6.0-litre Gen IV continues the all-alloy, two-valves-per-cylinder pushrod design of the Gen III, but differs from the Gen IV LS2 6.0-litre V8 that powers the new Corvette Z06 and HSV’s local line-up, in which it produces 297kW.

"It will not be the LS2," said Mr Mooney. "It's actually a lower power version ... of the Gen IV V8. It's got a milder camshaft. It's not meant to be the HSV kind of performance level."

Introduced in its North American SUV line-up this year and originally expected to make its local debut in September’s all-new VE Commodore, GM’s fourth-generation pushrod V8 differs primarily in its employment of variable valve timing and Displacement On Demand (DOD) technology, which is claimed to reduce fuel consumption by up to seven per cent.

Combined with GM’s new 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission, which is claimed to reduce fuel consumption a further four per cent and improve 0-100km/h acceleration times by up to seven per cent, Holden’s new V8/auto combination should be more powerful, smoother and at least as economical as the Gen III.

The Gen III currently powers Holden’s Monaro, SS and SV8 sports flagships and its top-shelf long-wheelbase Caprice (in 250kW guise), and is optional in Calais (with 235kW), Berlina and Statesman (in 245kW form).

It’s not known whether Holden will continue to offer V8 versions of its all-wheel drive Crewman Cross8 and Adventra LX8 models in 2006, when the new V8 will power an otherwise unchanged VZ Commodore range for eight months before the new VE Commodore sedan is released.

Revised V6 for 2006 too

HOLDEN’S Port Melbourne-built Alloytec V6 will from next month gain on-board diagnostics, an upgraded catalytic converter and an extra knock sensor.

Reflecting the cost of meeting Australia’s so-called Step II emissions requirements for 2006, the Alloytec upgrade comes after just 16 months of service in VZ Commodore.

The same upgraded 3.6-litre V6, but with a higher torque output, will next year also appear in Holden’s Thailand-built Rodeo utility. Rodeo’s new V6 will offer more performance and better fuel economy than the Isuzu V6 that’s no longer required for use in Frontera and Jackaroo models.
    http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2570D6001484E4
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

i wonder how the alloytech will compare to the barra in terms of fuel economy....and performance.....are they still gonna offer the weaker version in the executive....??

oh and 510 Nm....shit that aint bad....
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

So Holden have stepped up the fight against the XR8!

Quote Originally Posted by Revolution
    So Holden have stepped up the fight against the XR8!
    rofl well no shit, i would laugh my ass off for a few weeks if they didn't.....
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

They go to great lengths to point out it's not HSV's 6LT engine no no no.
    Bout time we seen some Torque figures to 510nm isn't bad at all.
    But i guess it's not the power and torque most will be thanking, Well yes they will lol.. But a good step forward in refinement is whats been needed.
    I can allready guess the 0-100 times 5.3 seconds.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Can't wait to read the first reviews of this beast! Those who get Motor and Wheels, be sure to post some high-res scans for us!

I think Everyone will be waiting for the First 0-100 times then they will want to know if it's better then the Gen3 A step forward in refinement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx
    Codenamed L72 but dubbed "LS1.5" by Holden insiders, the 6.0-litre Gen IV continues the all-alloy, two-valves-per-cylinder pushrod design of the Gen III, but differs from the Gen IV LS2 6.0-litre V8 that powers the new Corvette Z06 and HSV’s local line-up, in which it produces 297kW
    That's kinda weird they wouldn't just use the 400 bhp LS2. I understand not wanting to tread on HSV's toes, but it's still GM and considering they just snatched the the LS6 out of the C5 Corvette to put into the CTS-V and given all their other blatant "we'll just rebadge it and call it a day" moves *cough*Saab 9-2X*cough*, it's surprising to me GM would actually make this "LS1.5" just to categorize their lineup.

But it's Australian and they always get the better cars.

I read somewhere that it will be tuned more as a towing engine as opposed to a high-po engine :S

Quote Originally Posted by PBB
    That's kinda weird they wouldn't just use the 400 bhp LS2. I understand not wanting to tread on HSV's toes, but it's still GM and considering they just snatched the the LS6 out of the C5 Corvette to put into the CTS-V and given all their other blatant "we'll just rebadge it and call it a day" moves *cough*Saab 9-2X*cough*, it's surprising to me GM would actually make this "LS1.5" just to categorize their lineup.

But it's Australian and they always get the better cars.
    HSV's not GM And they will tell you this all day long.

If they got 300kw(400HP) In the VE Commodore SS then it would rip even Fords FPV V8 range and that won't keep competition good it will kill it and holden will suffer for it.

Jinx it's a tree stump puller

hahaha!

Just wondering, but is it Ateco that owns HSV? I know its some company starting with A....

I thought it might have been TVR? It's funny it's not a thing most of us know it's almost keep-ed a secret.

Who are Ateco i haven't herd of them before.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    I thought it might have been TVR? It's funny it's not a thing most of us know it's almost keep-ed a secret.

Who are Ateco i haven't herd of them before.
    Ateco being an importer, and i think you're thinking of TWR. As far as I'm aware, Tom Walkinshaw still owns HSV, but GM and Holden have made it very clear that they want to buy HSV if it comes on to the market

I thought when he went under he lost HSV? I know that HSV are very keen to keep HSV out of GM's hands.
    Tom Walinshaw just bought Holden motor Sport i think i seen him back around this year.

Yeah hes got his hands on HMS and Skaife just gave him control of HRT, so hes gunna try integrate them 2 together.

Im almost surprised really Holden went to such lengths to find a different engine. They might scream all day its not HSV's engine, but theyre both Gen4's when you look at it so you'd expect alot of carryover parts between them. By the time the VE comes though they'll need that 260kw for it to keep up with a VZ SS as the VE's supposedly going to weigh alot more like the BA did.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information