Thread: Michael Park Inquest

Michael Park Inquest

Rally driver's unexplained crash
    Michael Park
    Michael Park died instantly, the coroner was told
    One of the world's top rally drivers has told an inquest that he cannot explain the crash which killed his co-driver in the Wales Rally GB.

Markko Martin described how he lost control of his Peugeot 307 car as he travelled at up to 100mph in a rally stage at Bryn Forest near Port Talbot.

An accidental death verdict was recorded at the inquest on Michael Park, 39, from Newent, Gloucestershire.

He died instantly in the crash in the international rally in September.

Estonian driver Mr Martin had partnered Mr Park since 2000 and the pair had won five world rallies together. Mr Martin told the inquest that he believed they were the best rally team in the world.

The inquest heard how the car crashed side-on into a tree during the 17-mile penultimate stage of the rally on 18 September.

He did everything he could but in that particular instance he was unable to do enough to save Michael's life and that will always be a huge source of regret to him
    Paul Turner

The hearing was told that conditions were perfect, that there was no fault with their Peugeot 307 and that there had never been an accident at that site before.

Mr Martin said as they approached a left-hand bend he lost control of the car which spun round and they hit a tree. He said there was "nowhere else to go".

"I'm sure I did everything I could. In rallying you have these moments very often. Sometimes you get away with moments like that and other times you go off the road," he said.

Spectators immediately rushed to help father-of-two Mr Park who was slumped in his seat.

Park and Martin's Peugeot 307
    Michael Park was on the right-hand side of the car when it hit a tree

The inquest heard that after the accident a team of rally paramedics were on the scene within five minutes.

They worked for forty minutes to try to revive Mr Park, but he had died instantly.

A post mortem examination concluded that he had died of multiple injuries.

The final stages of the rally - one of Wales's biggest annual sporting events - and planned celebrations were abandoned and a minute's silence was held at the end of the rally in Cardiff's Millennium Stadium later that day.

Coroner Dr David Osborne recorded a verdict of accidental death, saying there was no mechanical faults with the car and the accident was one of the risks associated with rallying.

Dr Osborne read a statement from Mr Park's widow who did not attend the inquest.

'Instantaneously known'

She described her husband's early life as one of 10 children and how he was a rally driver before they met which had meant spending six of every 12 months away from home.

Markko Martin's manager Paul Turner had called her on the fateful morning of the accident and she had "instantaneously known" something serious had happened.

"He said 'I do not know how to tell you this'," her statement read.

"I immediately knew what he was about to explain. He then went on to say that Michael had received fatal injuries as a result of the accident."

She added: "I had always lived with the knowledge that something like this could happen.

"I am thankful that when it happened he was competing in the UK closer to home."

'Good guy'

Outside the inquest, Paul Turner, who was Mr Park's manager and remains Mr Martin's, said:

"Michael was a fantastic co-driver and a fantastic friend and family man.

"He had many friends in the sport and was an all round good guy.

"It has been an incredibly difficult time for Markko, more than anything else Mike was a close friend, they worked together for more than six years and he obviously feels responsible.

"Markko has one of the best records of keeping the car on the road.

"He did everything he could but in that particular instance he was unable to do enough to save Michael's life and that will always be a huge source of regret to him."
    Last edited by Mustang; 12-15-2005 at 04:55 PM.
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Thread Information