Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Viva fever

Several Commodores have won Wheels Car of the Year awards - VB in 1978, VN in 1988, VR in 1993 and VT in 1997. And no doubt other awards.
    The original Torana was based on the Vauxhall Viva, model before the one above.
    The second gen Torana LH models were based on the Opel Ascona - they were a bigger car.
    The Falcon AU is not a "crap car" in my opinion - it drove acceptably well, apparantly by all reports of the time as well as the VT Commodore (I drove the AU, but not the VT, so can't say more than according to reports). And no-one calls the VT crap. There were no major quality issues with the AU either for it to get a bad reputation (unlike the EA Falcon and the VT Commodore which are both known for quality problems).
    Lack of IRS across the AU range is mentioned above - but the VT didn't have IRS as standard either.
    I would say the AU was average to competent for its time in most areas, but it certainly didn't stand out in any way, nor was it a bad car. OK, it didn't sell that greatly, but nor was it a complete sales flop.
    So, it is only really the styling (exterior and interior) that is controversial about the AU - is polarising styling really enough for a car to get the tag "crap" labelled on it?
    I can see people debating this one for years - much in the same way the Leyland P76 gets debated about.
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 01-02-2006 at 06:43 PM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Did someone mention P76? That must be my cue

If truth be known I'm also one who admits to liking the AU Falcon. I even liked its nouveau styling - including that 'controversial' grille. Imo the only thing crap about AU was how local car journalists, almost to a man, went on and on about its grille like it was the most crucial thing about the whole car's existence. And of course this supposedly 'expert view' rapidly filtered down into general public opinion and ended up completely overwhelming public perception of the vehicle. Seemingly no one judged the car - they were all too busy critiquing this bloody grille!

Its also easy to forget that the AU had a significantly lower list price than Holden VT, and as AU sales continued to wane through the model-series it was discounted ever further, so they became a decent bargain despite the lower resale. The price difference was often around $5000 (or more) and at one stage I recall new 'undriven demonstrator' AU Fortes being advertised for a spectacular $23,500, driveaway

Lack of IRS across the AU range is mentioned above - but the VT didn't have IRS as standard either.
    Pardon my correction but every model of VT, including ute & wagon, did have IRS as standard equip - no live axle version of VT was offered

Like others I also remember the original Viva which was that thin angular HA model, a really austere looking machine inside and out. Hard to believe when seeing one today, but back in the day GMH promoted the HA as being a sporty little car for driving enthusiasts! The ad guys plugged it (and the later-gen HB Brabham Torana) as having a really racy gearshift. At the time it was quite amusing to see TV advertisments for the Brabham Torana (a sub-1200cc model which Jack embarrasingly lent his name to) running alongside ads for Victa's 2-stroke lawnmower - with both machines featuring engines dubbed 'Series 70'

Speaking of racing, IIRC when campaigned at Bathurst a veritable fleet of HA Vivas comprehensively dominated the light car class, finishing in 1st right through to 8th place
    Last edited by nota; 01-02-2006 at 11:19 PM.

Apologies on the VT IRS mistake - shows I should check things rather than rely solely on memory.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

You know something funny, I have never been in a VT Commodore for a drive ever!, My mums friend owns 2 97 models but i have not been in one.
    But i have been in many Au's Taxi's are crap but the one that sticks out for me is the Series III AU my Bro's Miss's mum owns it's the SR. I went for a drive in it one day my brother said go for a spin and come back and tell me what you think, So off i went power felt good tranny was smooth shifting, Then the wheels on corners would scream and there was some knocking in the steering at over 60kp/h, Then some type of grind sound, So i came back and told him and he said yes i know, But try telling my wifes mum and dad something is wrong all they say is it's new nothing wrong?.
    So one day they had there routine maintenance with it and actually told them of this problem, 30 min later they were told it's just the tyres wearing in.
    This is 2001, Now to this day the car does the same thing and they say nothing is wrong with it? WTF? They got new tyres same thing, Had the brakes done thinking it might be like with the Ba's, NO, Wheel balance alignment no no no. They have just come to live with driving there BA Ute around now.
    Before my Brother got the BA his EF had a clutch problem, They borrowed the AU to get around in, He was bagging it like you wouldn't believe, It was very sluggish and it just had a full serves?, Ran like crap should get there money back, Anyway he took from his old EF a K&N filter within 2 days it was running nice. But he held onto his EF because he hated the AU style, He calls the grill picket fence, He was more then happy to grab a BA.
    Not saying this one AU is all of them, It's just that like all cars there are some that are not very good at all.
    My dislike of the AU is this...... I don't like it in anything other then T-Series and Ute XR8, I never liked the intiria it was plan and boring it had to much of the torus look in and out for me. And that is a car the was rejected so there was a wakeup call for Ford then but they stayed asleep.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

reported as spam.

I considered an AU as they (like most falcons) are considerably cheaper then their same year equivalent holdens.

I dont like them as i find the appearance both inside and out... uninspiring. but as for value well Fords the winner atm for sure.
    Last edited by Blue Supra; 06-29-2007 at 12:59 PM.
    The Datto will rage again...

AU Stands for Arse Up.. Actually after exsperenceing my first VT up close day after day i'm shocked and some things it does have and i didn't know it did have.. Like the auto readout in the dash and the 20 something different things in the trip computer plus the hidden ones tops 30+.. It's even got a digital speed readout And leave your lights on and they turn off when you remove the key i was told this was used on the VP calais. It's even got a run in temp 90-100 deg engine temp is when it's ready to rock and roll.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden View Post
    And leave your lights on and they turn off when you remove the key i was told this was used on the VP calais.
    I am still surprised that the Territory doesn't have any feature like that. In fact, if you leave the lights on and turn off the car/ take out the key, nothing happens at all - it doesn't even warn you. I remember the AU used to beep at you if the lights were left on - but the Territory does nothing. I've accidentally left the lights on a few times - Ford needs to fix the problem.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
    I am still surprised that the Territory doesn't have any feature like that. In fact, if you leave the lights on and turn off the car/ take out the key, nothing happens at all - it doesn't even warn you. I remember the AU used to beep at you if the lights were left on - but the Territory does nothing. I've accidentally left the lights on a few times - Ford needs to fix the problem.
    Err yeah it does

It has both automatic on/off mode and manual lights which beeps at you when you turn the engine off.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Quote Originally Posted by syko View Post
    Err yeah it does

It has both automatic on/off mode and manual lights which beeps at you when you turn the engine off.
    Ours has never warned us! If the Territory definitely has that feature, then the one I drive must be faulty. I always thought it was stupid how it didn't give any warning...

Maybe the Ford dealership can fix it.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

I wish i had auto on off.. I'm going to look into it i love little things like that everytime i drive my brothers BA it's a frill getting out and looking back.
    Quote Originally Posted by syko View Post
    Err yeah it does

Maybe not on TX models cause to be honest when we hired the Terra i couldn't find the auto on off or anything?.. But it did have them beautiful electric peddles.

Commodores have had auto-off lights for yonks. My 92 Scooby has them for christs sake.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Maybe not on TX models cause to be honest when we hired the Terra i couldn't find the auto on off or anything?.. But it did have them beautiful electric peddles.
    I think that the auto on/off lights were introduced with the SY upgrade. I'm not too sure though. EDIT: I might be thinking of auto wipers.
    Last edited by adrenaline; 06-30-2007 at 02:56 AM.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

It was a BA2 thing for Falcon at least
    I am the Stig

That kind of looks like it has the front of a old Holden,
    I can't think of the model before my time lol.

Maybe your'e thinking of the HD holden. 1966 or there abouts?
    Brad.

RIP CJT BW 202

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Commodores have had auto-off lights for yonks. My 92 Scooby has them for christs sake.
    Don't beat a 91 commodore.. I tried it out on the VP
    I think that the auto on/off lights were introduced with the SY upgrade. I'm not too sure though. EDIT: I might be thinking of auto wipers.
    I can't even remember that must admit all we did was press it to auto wash and that was about as far we got with the wipers it was good weather driving.. Blinding all the roos and they stayed far away
    Quote Originally Posted by gouldo View Post
    Maybe your'e thinking of the HD holden. 1966 or there abouts?
    I'm not sure to be honest older cars are my biggest weak point anything back from before the the late 70's i really struggle bad with.

Thread Information