Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest disaster in 2005?

Biggest disaster in 2005?

Well 2005 will only last for two more days and our newspaper had a year-review in it today. Since so much has happenend in 2005 I decided to ask you people what in your opinion is the biggest disaster of the year 2005? On 31th of december I will make a poll.

These are my choises:

The tsunami in Asia
    Although the tsunami itself was in 2004, the real result becomes visible in 2005. An estimated 225.000 people didn't survive the destructive earthquake. The whole world gets in action to help the victims.

London bombings
    Western-Europe always thought they would be save for terrorism, until july the 7th that was... Four young people blow themselfs up in 3 Underground trains and a double-deck bus. More than 50 people die. The fear gets even bigger then two weeks later another bombing attempt fails.

Hurricane Katrina
    In august 2005 New Orleans seems to be the target of Katrina, a heavy hurricane. People are warned and asked to please leave the city, but almost nobody seems to listen. More than a thoushand people don't survive the power of Katrina. President Bush doesn't want to accept foreign help, and feels the consequenses. He gets loads of criticism for not accepting the help. Some people even say he didn't want the help because most of the victims had a dark skin...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Well, the most destructive was definitely the tsunami.

And I think you cannot compare a 225,000 victims catastrophe to a 50 victims one...

Quote Originally Posted by pergarec
    Well, the most destructive was definitely the tsunami.

And I think you cannot compare a 225,000 victims catastrophe to a 50 victims one...
    the tsunami occurred in 2004
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    the tsunami occurred in 2004
    I say that in my first post, but I also say that the real result is getting visible in 2005. The last victims were identified last summer...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

How about the earthquakes in Pakistan?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    I say that in my first post, but I also say that the real result is getting visible in 2005. The last victims were identified last summer...
    there are still people dying from the Hiroshima nuclear bomb....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    and the swearing in of GW Bush?

I asked you people to come up with ideas for the poll. I already mentioned three...

I think the earthquake comes a lot higher in priority. Whole villages were wiped out, generations lost in an instant. And you cant sum up the damage in loss of lives alone, as the whole infrastructure that was there is lost, and building that up again for the future will take so much time, that even more generations to come will feel the 'force' of the quake.
    Porsche!

Yeah, the earthquake really was significant. At least in Katrina they had help. I heard that not much help went to Pakistan.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    and the swearing in of GW Bush?
    zing!
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    Hurricane Katrina
    In august 2005 New Orleans seems to be the target of Katrina, a heavy hurricane. People are warned and asked to please leave the city, but almost nobody seems to listen. More than a thoushand people don't survive the power of Katrina. President Bush doesn't want to accept foreign help, and feels the consequenses. He gets loads of criticism for not accepting the help. Some people even say he didn't want the help because most of the victims had a dark skin...
    at least they got part of it right

If the Tsunami counts, I vote for that. Otherwise, Hurricane Katrina.

Yeah and i defintly agree with NSXType-R, which makes it worse as people are still die'in today sadly
    .................................................................................:¦Back Again¦:.................................................................................

I must say I'm quite surprised I don't hear anybody talking about the London bombings. I would be scared as hell if it happenend over here...

Thread Information