Thread: Alfa 147GTA clutch & pressure plate damage

Question Alfa 147GTA clutch & pressure plate damage

I love my new 147GTA, but............

I recently took my 147GTA in for service because the clutch suddenly gave in. The dealer is claiming that driver technique has caused the part to fail and will not repair it under warranty.

The car only has 6,000km on the clock and has not been mistreated. Being the only driver of the vehicle, I can say that I do not ride the clutch.

When the gearbox was dropped from the car, it was revealed that the pressure plate was broken in 4 places.

The dealer says they have never seen this before and think it happened because of abuse. I have suggested that pehaps the clutch was worn and burnt because it was spinning against the sharp edges of a broken pressure plate. The daeler will not even consider this possibility

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I would like to hear from you (especially if you have a vehicle with the V6 engine)

The only person that I know who owns an Alfa is a friend from Venezuela, he has a 146 TI year 1998. One day he was driving when suddenly his clutch broke. He said he didn't do anything stupid like to break it............. it might be some Alfa clutch problems.....??..

I can contact him if you like to ask him more specific questions. I'll see if I can talk to him tommorrow.

Good Luck

i find it very odd, wat i would suggest is to go to another and get a second opinion, don t let a poor dealership ruin the experience of a great car

Thanks Niko,

If you wouldn't mind talking to him about that clutch problem, that would be great.

Cheers, Nathan.

Dont let up. Persue it through other channels.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

well, he says the car had already 50k kmh which I don't consider that much. He said he learned to drive manual with that car and that he might have damaged the clutch while learning. Also that the "clutch pump" (I really don't know the word in english) was kind of damaged and was hitting the clutch with that and well.... I don't know seems like something different than your problem. To fix it he changed the "clutch pump" and the disc and it was pretty expensive.

Your problem seems very strange since the car is new. If you know how to drive and you didn't do anything badly to the car it must be fabrication problems. Go and talk to the dealership, write a letter or something, they should fix you that under warranty.

Sorry my info wasn't much help, I thought it could be something similar.
    Last edited by Niko_Fx; 02-27-2004 at 10:56 AM.

Thread Information