Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Bugatti Veyron the greatest car ever made??

Is the Bugatti Veyron the greatest car ever made??

I was astonished when JC called the Veyron the greatest car ever made on Top Gear. I agree it's the fastest as far as top speed goes and 0-60 also as far as I know. But does that qualify it as the greatest car ever? Don't get me wrong, I don't take JC's word as gospel. I just want to see what you guys think?
    Last edited by taz_rocks_miami; 01-03-2006 at 09:39 PM.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

in that price range yes, overall no imo
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

I don't know.. it may be the best at everything, but there are other cars that I see as more revolutionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    I don't know.. it may be the best at everything, but there are other cars that I see as more revolutionary.
    Is it the best at everything? We agree it's the best at acceleration and top speed, but JC didn't talk about it's handling or braking, just how fast it is.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

I thought Clarkson had described it as like a large Lotus Elise around the track? And as for braking: 0 to 100 to 0 in 5 seconds! Yep, the brakes work.
    Sure Porsche made cars after 1965, but who cares . . .

Its ugly and overweight, and stupidly brash. Worst. Supercar. Ever.

Heck no, go pick up the latest Road and Track and read the whole article Gordon Murray wrote about it. The design of what the car was gonna look like was set out and kept before they even evaluated any important factors such as drag. And they started with ideas set, impairing the team of designers to get the job done. The car could have been better, but it is remarkable the work they did with the already set guidelines.

the veyron is a piece of art, it is stylish....luxurious and fast for what it is.

but i'd still take an S7 TT over it.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

yeh it is dude

Quote Originally Posted by hanz blix
    yeh it is dude
    Thank you for your enlightening post, the thread just became better because of it.

I think the McLaren F1 is greatest supercar ever made.

A superCar is not just about how fast it is, but a big deal is the philosophy behind it. The veyro belongs in the same Category as the MB Mclaren SLR, just a publicity stunt/imageboost product.

The McLaren on the other hand was built with one thing in mind, performance. From the first pencil stroke to the last welded piece of carbon fiber.

To me it has an apeal the Veyron and other supercars like the SLR will never have.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

The veyron is one of the most advanced cars of its time.Whether it is the most practical and sstuff like that is left out of consideration.It still is one of the most technically advanced cars.Period.

The good, the bad, and the ugly...

Bugatti, the name alone presents a reason to consider this car seriously. Bugattis of yore were paragons of performance and meticulous build. For any car to be considered truly great it has to have a combination of many different factors. A decorated history, meaningful technology, quality craftsmanship, and of course performance all meld to create something more than the sum of its parts.

The numbers game demanded it. Purity of design weighs heavy in any creation of genius and would demand a cleaner overall design, yet the Veyron is encumbered with turbos and active aerodynamics. A simpler MR setup would have saved on weight but the enormous power necessitated AWD. The Veyron concedes purity for singularity of purpose. A car that can produce shocking acceleration and top out above 250 mph.

Reminds me of the saying, a camel is a horse designed by a committee. Not so much a work of genius but a genius work by committee. Odd as it may seem, the Veyron impresses with its ability. Is it great? Yes. Is it the greatest? It is amongst the greatest.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Forget the shell for a second, concentrate on the engine first. Think about the technical feats accomplished to provide a reliable 1001bhp, one that wont just last for a racing weekend, but day in day out will still be working at the same level. Next, someone mentionned this before, the transmission. To handle all that power, a lot of engineering went into that.

When people compare the McLaren and say it was way more focussed, carbon fibre, light weight, that was because it was a design specification. Bugatti/VW on the other hand didnt care for a lightweight car, they wanted it stuffed to the brim with luxuries, stuff you would find in most luxury cars. And can you really blame them for that? It still manages to go faster and stronger regardless, so whats the complaining about?

One thing that irritated me was that Autocar said after testing the Veyron "it was too clinical, had no character for a supercar". Okay, I agree with that on a level, that you want a bit of character in your car. But the justification I see from Bugattis side is that if they had made it anything less that engineering/technologically sound, people would have said it was 'badly made' or 'ill thought out'. By being clinical, it ensured people didnt have the chance to give it stick on that level. And by making it that way, it also ensures its 1001bhp is useable too!

For me, the Veyron is just magical. When I hear about the small tiny engineering designs they put in to make the Veyron a better car, it fully justifies the delay they had with it. Well done Bugatti, and I hope the small one to be confirmed is just as good!
    Porsche!

It's an engineering masterpiece.

Thread Information