Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Bugatti Veyron the greatest car ever made??

....no.
    Top 10:
    1) Mclaren F1
    2) Dodge Viper
    3) BMW M5
    4) Ferrari F430
    5) Ferrari Enzo
    6) Corvette Z06
    7) Lamborghini Gallardo
    8) 1967 AC Cobra 427
    9) 1971 Hemi Cuda
    10) Mercedes SL55 AMG

...no?

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    ...no?
    ...no

The Ferrari 250 GTO and McLaren F1 both have supercar status that can't be toppled except with time. It's way too early to be calling the Veyron the greatest supercar ever made, and even with time, I don't think it's going to prove itself.

a very low weight is a feature a supercar cannot be without in my perfect world.

How many of you have actually driven the Veyron? Since I have no first hand experience I think it's quite impossible to tell... It may be that if you've driven *every* car in the world the Veyron would still manage to blow your brain... or may be not. I wouldn't call it the greatest car ever made, but neither would I say that about any car.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

no...

I think the best car should be AFFORDABLE, quick, all terrain , agile and a ppl carrier.
    "In UCP I TRUST".

Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo
    I think the McLaren F1 is greatest supercar ever made.

A superCar is not just about how fast it is, but a big deal is the philosophy behind it. The veyro belongs in the same Category as the MB Mclaren SLR, just a publicity stunt/imageboost product.

The McLaren on the other hand was built with one thing in mind, performance. From the first pencil stroke to the last welded piece of carbon fiber.

To me it has an apeal the Veyron and other supercars like the SLR will never have.
    I Agree 100%, Gordon did an excellent job with starting out with the points he wanted and built accordingly. The McLaren F1 was never meant to be the fastest car in the world yet it did accomplish this prestigious recognition. The car is absolutely mind blowing, everything from the engine to the seatbelts.

Its also one of the thirtiest car in only like 12 minutes you need to get gas so thats a minus -

1001hp doesn't mean it's the best car ever made...
    one can achieve the same performance with less power and less weight.

i dun have the spec with me, but i reckon it's only on par with other supercars, not too much better than Enzo, or Carrera GT.. may be even the SLR.. anyone with spec for comparison please?

Ok, some of you have made good points, some have not. But aside from having a W16 with 4 turbos and 1001 HP, what makes this car such an engineering masterpeice in comparison to other supercars? I really don't know much about it, that's why I'm asking.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Depends on how you define "best." Technology-wise, yes, I think the Veyron is the best production car in the world.
    "Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." -Warren Buffett

For me a nice interior is a must and the Veyron's is arguably the best.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock827
    1001hp doesn't mean it's the best car ever made...
    one can achieve the same performance with less power and less weight.

i dun have the spec with me, but i reckon it's only on par with other supercars, not too much better than Enzo, or Carrera GT.. may be even the SLR.. anyone with spec for comparison please?
    I think Clarkson quotes that if the Bugatti gives the Enzo or Carrera GT a 15 second headstart, it'll still beat them both to 300kph. That's a whole different league.
    Sure Porsche made cars after 1965, but who cares . . .

Hi, my name is Chris Ball and i am currently employed by Suburban Motor Company Inc. The aim of the company is to design specific areas of a car that the manufacturers have trouble with. In July 1999 drawings of a new supercar were left on my desk, these were the drawings of the new Bugatti Veyron, I was asked to get to work on designing the cooling system for the Bugatti. I was contacted by the cheif of design from Volkswagen who had been set the task of designing a hypercar capable of speeds of over 250mph. At my time at the company I had become quite a big hit with car cooling systems, I have also work on the Ferrari F430, McLaren SLR and the new Porsche Cayman. The Bugatti was different and I was flooded with phone calls everyday telling me that another 2 turbos have been added and a rear spoiler, I handed my drawings in on 18th March 2000 and have never seen anything else of them since then. However, I reveived an Invitation a few months back to go to Germany to the VW Headquaters and test drive the Bugatti. The date was on 27th November 2005 and It was the most breathtaking day of my life, the speed was incredible and the styling you just can't put into words. My point is that they will NEVER be a car in the world built like this again and I feel so honoured to have driven one, It is quite simply the GREATEST CAR EVER BUILT!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisball
    My point is that they will NEVER be a car in the world built like this again and I feel so honoured to have driven one, It is quite simply the GREATEST CAR EVER BUILT!
    Thats what they said when the Mclaren F1 was first built (or any record setting car for all that matter). It will be topped by something else...maybe even this decade.

As for the greatest car in the world part I still think that is debatable whether one has driven the car or not. I still think the Mclaren F1 was a more rounded car and certainly weighed much less as several others have mentioned. The Bugatti weighs close to 2 tons which for Supercars is hugely heavy.

right now D.C. and Miami., but also London
    Greatest car ever?? Arguably it could be. Definitively. No. I just can't see the Bugatti covering every single point that is important to every single person who drives, better than any other car does. I don't even think it hits most of them. We (myself definately included) always assume that breakneck speed, and knife edge handling are the alpha and omega in what makes a great car. However if a car cannot compete with a Ford Mondeo in the real world of loans, kids, traffic, school runs, shopping, gas prices, and INSURANCE, then it really, honestly cannot be called the greatest car in the world. Fastest yes, best handling maybe, greatest I don't think so.
    IMHO.
    Of course having said all that it doesn't stop me from dreaming about one!!!!
    Mustangs/ TVRs, M3s, 911 Turbos...make me smile from ear to ear...everything else..just makes me smile.

Thread Information