Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: why does your cars have so much power?

why does your cars have so much power?

ok aussies, i've got a question for all of you

while i was reading some stuff i took a closer look about engines that are put in australian fords and holdens

and to my surprise i saw that there aren't many cars that could have engine less powerful than 200HP

for european standards that's quite much

can you give me the reason why it's in that way?
    12 cylinders or walk!

I guess it's just the roads here, theres not much space to really put your foot down, and if you do you'll get a £90 fine plus 3points
    .................................................................................:¦Back Again¦:.................................................................................

Maybe same reason as in the US: low fuel prices

Making this tread at 2:40 am wasn't that great timing since most of us aussies would be asleep but to answer your question there aren' that many cars built here and the ones that are, are sedan's with v6's or i6 which are quite large. Only Toyota build cars in Australia which have 4's and thats in their camry's and their v6 is only a little 3 litre one with 141 kw. Holdens engine line up for the Commodore is a 3.6 litre v6 with 175 or 190 kw and the 5.7 v8 with 235 250 or 260 kw. Ford's engine line up in the Falcon includes the newly updated i6 with 190kw and 245 in turbo as well as their 5.4 v8 with 230 or 260kw. Mitsubishi however just have the 175kw 3.6 litre v6 in there 380.

I guess having this much power in base cars must seem alot for European's but its just the way these cars have developed over the last half century especially in the case of the Commodore's and Falcons.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

And we have one state (fine, Territory!) where a speed limit is generally unheard of . But no-one lives there....
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

Commodores and falcons are setting the standard, and others, like the 380 are folowing....If the VE commodore was to have a power reduction it would get laughed at and the falcon would be the king of the Hill...not that it isnt already...the falcons the current local base model power king...

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    Commodores and falcons are setting the standard, and others, like the 380 are folowing....If the VE commodore was to have a power reduction it would get laughed at and the falcon would be the king of the Hill...not that it isnt already...the falcons the current local base model power king...

and may it stay that way till the day i depart from this earth
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi
    can you give me the reason why it's in that way?
    #1 Minimum weights for Holden/Falcon start at approx 1650-1750kg and go up from there. They are similar to Mercedes S-Class in size. I'm told that if you ignore American trucks & SUV sales, the average size of Australia's best selling new passenger cars are supposedly larger than the average new US passenger car, or anywhere else in the world. Big cars for a big country, as they say

#2 Although most models are (thankfully) still available with manual transmission, regrettably most are specified as automatics. You need lots of low-rev torque to give a heavy automatic car good intitial acceleration from standstill. Additionally this solid torquey shove from idle-speed revs gives that important 'big car feel' which is crucial to our market-preference and 'easy going' driving style. Not wishing to be rude, but ask the average Aussie what it's like when he puts his foot down from the stop light in a typical European 3 litre automatic, eg. For us it feels like the motor 'takes a crap' until it struggles to 3000rpm when the power finally starts to appear

#3 Aussies keep their cars on the road longer. The average age of the Australian car fleet is the oldest in the Western world, IIRC about 11 years. To achieve this long service life, Oz cars have traditionally employed large capacity long-stroke low revving engines which by their nature generate lots of 'buyer friendly' low-rev torque. A byproduct of big torquey engines is good hp

#4 Long distances between .. anywhere! Take a look at the size of the Oz mainland. We are supposedly the most urbanised western country, so a very sparsely populated interior with maybe 90% of our population centred in the few capital cities. You have to cruise for hour upon hour to travel the vast distances between these capital cities, so for durability, comfort & economy you need tall gearing for low revs at cruise-speeds. Hence our preference for big torquey engines which also means good hp

#5 The vast majority of our roads and highways are still undivided and only 2-lane (the lane you're on, and the lane coming towards you!) and there are lots of huge trucks and caravans to overtake. Due to our generally poor highway network with few overtaking lanes, the overtaking opportunities you do find are often few and far between, so potent acceleration rates between 80-120km/h can literally be vital for survival. For example, a BMW 330Ci is considered a sporty powerful car, but the slowest Falcon made (6cyl auto) is significantly faster from 80-120km/h

#6 We love our towbars and the trailers and caravans they drag behind us. In the US I get the impression that it's not uncommon for the average family to own several vehicles - a truck for towing, a sedan for family duty and maybe a small car for commuting as well. However in Oz the family car has to be flexible (and powerful) enough to do it all, including towing. I read a few years ago that about 65% of all new Falcons were factory-fitted with towbars, and about 15-20% of the remainder were retrofitted later in life!

#7 Our fuel prices are half what yours are

thanks a lot man
    12 cylinders or walk!

Aussies love there power We like fast 6's we like RWD If our 6 can beat a V8 we are in heaven.
    Like Nota was saying in the U.S they might own a 5 seat car and have there trucks to tow around.
    Here the family car can be the tow car, I have seen models just after myn car 93 year Holden Commodores towing cars on a tandem, And power doesn't sound like much @ 127kw(170hp) I can't convert torque sorry... But this car was as fast as any V6 holden made till the new 2004 VZ SV6
    Aussie's would tow anything in the 6cyl family cars
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

true, australians historically havent paid as much attention to fuel efficiency as other countries, its getting more important as fuel prices and taxes rise.

australian large cars arent nearly as efficient european and asian alternatives. however they are cheaper so they are seen as better value for money.

And there more likly to run 300,000km with ease. Or like my car run in 2nd gear for 5 hours and not hurt it one bit
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

At a quick answer without reading all the posts in the thread...I would say it is because Aussies are like Americans. We like big power.
    But we build GOOD family cars.
    Perhaps they could learn something from us.:S

PS: Its good to know SlickHolden lives nowhere near the MCG.
    Do you know where...New York is?
    **** I dont live near there AT ALL.
    Do you know where the Mornington Peninsula is?
    Well I actually do live near there. Well right there.
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING
    Aussies are like Americans.
    Many would beg to differ!
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING
    At a quick answer without reading all the posts in the thread...I would say it is because Aussies are like Americans. We like big power.
    But we build GOOD family cars.
    Perhaps they could learn something from us.:S
    i would be interested to see a comparison in US vs Aussie cars, im an aussie, but not a fan of aussie cars, i drive an Accord V6L btw.

I really like the style of the new Chrysler 300C but i have never driven one, i have driven commodores and falcons but never liked them too much. I have never driven an american car. Id ben interested to hear from people who have, because i hear disrespect for americans car but dont know any aussies who have driven them.

Thread Information