Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 64

Thread: What do you think?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,200
    my text book says that it is normal for diesels to have 2:1 or higher bore:stroke ratios and I took a more extreme example (12:5.15 = 2.33:1) because I thought I have seen it somewhere?!?! cant remember where though. however you kindly pointed out that todays diesels are getting better.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Location: Location: (UK)
    Posts
    2,496
    The obvious question (to me anyway) is why are you making it?

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,200
    firstly to see if it will work as well as I think (and hope) it will and also becuase I may stick it in a car if it works well enough!
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Location: Location: (UK)
    Posts
    2,496
    Hold on, you are 17 years old and fabricating your own engines completly from scratch? That doesn't sound plausable to me.

    Where is all did all this money come from that bought you a small factory that not only has the facilitys to cast extremely complitated engine blocks, but you also have all the precision engineering equipment required to fettle your three prototypes into working engines, this is a billion dollar industry you are playing in! Where is this factory and why aren't you making custom parts for customers? How can a 17 year old hold the knowledge required to design and build an engine nobody else has ever thought of all on your own?
    Nobody can do all that, manufacturers don't employ one man to make their prototypes because it can't be done.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    908
    You gotta admit he knows what he's talking about. Maybe he's got a rich dad in the industry or something who will let him do it and fund it all, you never know.

    Good luck hightower, hope it works out for you.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
    Posts
    27,776
    With a decent lathe and milling tools you dont' need to cast.
    Also one person can do the work of hundreds, it just takes one hundred times longer.
    I saw some of the prototype BDA heads, they look like they'd been put toegether with lego by a 10 year old. BUT they did the job !! THe "production" units were cast.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,654
    Good luck it should be cool ive always wanted to build a 2 stroke with pistons from a 502 for one of my jetskies.
    UCP biggest mustang lover

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    Hold on, you are 17 years old and fabricating your own engines completly from scratch? That doesn't sound plausable to me.

    Where is all did all this money come from that bought you a small factory that not only has the facilitys to cast extremely complitated engine blocks, but you also have all the precision engineering equipment required to fettle your three prototypes into working engines, this is a billion dollar industry you are playing in! Where is this factory and why aren't you making custom parts for customers? How can a 17 year old hold the knowledge required to design and build an engine nobody else has ever thought of all on your own?
    Nobody can do all that, manufacturers don't employ one man to make their prototypes because it can't be done.
    firstly my 3 working prototypes are rotary engines. They are all small (about 100cc) and i built them using my lathe and mill for this big engine I will most likely use the block from a 1.9L TD from VW and modify it I will make most of the other things myself with a lathe or mill. My dad isn't very rich and he doesn't work in the industry. However he is a very talented machinist and he knows where to get the good metal at cheap prices. (my engine will have titanium connecting rods!)

    and I do not work all be myself I always have my dad and a few older friends that help me out.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    75
    Sorry mate but this sounds like nothing but pipe dreams. After the amount of BS you posted in the Revetec thread, I can't say I'm holding out much hope for this project.

    I will say though that you do seem to know your stuff, but you inexperience as a 17 year old shines through the talk far to obviously.

    The idea of using Revetec and Coates technology together is not new or innovative, indeed I had the idea a while back and wanted to do that as my design project for uni. Alas time contraints dictated that I would only be able to focus on one part so I chose the RICE design to research. I have no doubt that engineering entities with far more expererience and funding will have also cottoned onto this potentially record breaking combination.

    (Diesel though? Come on, really?)
    Last edited by Kozy; 02-27-2008 at 09:44 AM.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Kozy View Post
    Sorry mate but this sounds like nothing but pipe dreams. After the amount of BS you posted in the Revetec thread, I can't say I'm holding out much hope for this project.

    I will say though that you do seem to know your stuff, but you inexperience as a 17 year old shines through the talk far to obviously.

    The idea of using Revetec and Coates technology together is not new or innovative, indeed I had the idea a while back and wanted to do that as my design project for uni. Alas time contraints dictated that I would only be able to focus on one part so I chose the RICE design to research. I have no doubt that engineering entities with far more expererience and funding will have also cottoned onto this potentially record breaking combination.

    (Diesel though? Come on, really?)
    You do realise that this thread is more than 2 years old right?

    Yes this project was never really more than a "pipe dream" But that has more to do with me wanting to focus on getting a great education and pursuing my own original design instead of using other people's designs...

    That and funding of course...

    BTW: I am 20 now

    Also I do not like having all my comments in a rather large thread all thrown in the BS bucket without a single explaination as to why you think they should be.

    Oh and...

    Diesel ROX!
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    581
    Now now people....

    Hightower99: Two things...

    First I would imagine that diesel uses a long bore/stroke ratio and a longer conrod ratio is mainly to reduce side thrusts on the pistons, (More cylinder pressure equals more side thrusts).

    Secondly, just be careful thinking about titanium rods, it's hard to machine and bows badly, especially if surface ground. We tried to make the piston plates many years ago with titanium and had to scrap them. I'm not saying it can't be done, rather that it is more difficult than you may think, so do your research before attempting it.
    Last edited by revetec; 02-27-2008 at 02:56 PM.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
    Posts
    27,776
    Interesting response ht
    Do you fancy going back those two years when you were being "advised" and educated that you pronounced how quickly you would do things and how Brad had it all wrong ??

    Yep, 2 years added to your age has helped a little with engineering maturity. Another 20 to go then
    ( Couldn't resist )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    With the recent discovery (on my part) of a few new technologies I have decided that I will be making a prototype with a few of them changed with a few adjustments and changes from my own ideas.
    My very basic idea is that the motor will be a 1000cc displacement inline 4.
    crankshaft will be replaced by counter rotating cams ala REVETEC but they will have only 2 lobes 180 degrees from each other and there is a lip added to the high points to keep the piston from going to high.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is a patent on this design already. I sighted it when I applied for my patent.

    Cheers

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by revetec View Post
    First I would imagine that diesel uses a long bore/stroke ratio and a longer conrod ratio is mainly to reduce side thrusts on the pistons, (More cylinder pressure equals more side thrusts).
    The biggest reason for most diesel engines using a narrow bore/long stroke setup is because it helps achieve the high compression ratio. I think that Diesel engines use slightly taller pistons (longer skirts) to handle the increased side loads on the pistons. Longer conrods help to (as you mentioned).

    Quote Originally Posted by revetec
    Secondly, just be careful thinking about titanium rods, it's hard to machine and bows badly, especially if surface ground. We tried to make the piston plates many years ago with titanium and had to scrap them. I'm not saying it can't be done, rather that it is more difficult than you may think, so do your research before attempting it.
    Thank you for the advice. I haven't worked with titanium much at all actually (too expensive) so thank you for the advice.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Interesting response ht
    Do you fancy going back those two years when you were being "advised" and educated that you pronounced how quickly you would do things and how Brad had it all wrong ??
    First I personally never really believed I would actually do this project (several major reasons jump to mind and many of them are obvious).

    But to answer your question: No I don't regret anything. (life too short ect. )
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •