Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: body kits?

Question body kits?

I was just wondering what function body kits have other then looking cool. Being a muscle car fan, I don't really know much about asian cars.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodguy200
    I was just wondering what function body kits have other then looking cool. Being a muscle car fan, I don't really know much about asian cars.
    The only thing that I can think of is that let's say you put a turbo on your engine and you also want to put a big intercooler, sometimes you got to change the front bumper to make it fit. Other than that just makes the car look nicer.

On cars where it actually matters, body kits can be used to help aerodynamics, but other than that, pretty much for show.

Looking cool is a side benefit, the real reason behind body kits is to add extra weight to the car so that the performance will be hindered to make them easier to drive for the Eminem/Tupac/ Sean Paul type Civic drivers.

On a more serious note, welcome to the UCP forums good to have another musclecar fan here.

Body Kits, like stickers and wings, add horsepower.*

*not really.
    Stickers add horsepower. I promise.

Oh, for sure! I just love it when a guy really adds some speed to his ride by adding a big exhaust tip and a huge JGTC wing onto a stock Civic! Also really good for aerodynamics are those superb vinyl stick-on fake air vents. An added adavantage is that if they are strategically placed they can even help to cool your brakes!
    That depends on what your definition of the word 'is' is - US President Bill Clinton

Seriously though, bodykits are designed to change the flow of air around a car making it more stable at high speeds among other things. These days they are often nothing more than a fashion statement, and a detestable one at that. Want an unusual or unique Civic? Why not bolt in a 2.2 VTEC motor or supercharge it or rear mount the engine or something far out!

Actually not only Jap fans (which I am proud to be) are guilty of this posturing. I have seen some very ordinary Commodores of late save for big HRT wings and replica Walkinshaw Group A bodykits which serve no purpose.
    That depends on what your definition of the word 'is' is - US President Bill Clinton

I know what you are going through Nildo. In New Zealand we have a guy in my town in a replica k-mart Commodore with all these stickers and body kits which are just so tacky, especially when you don't even bother to put it on a V8 Commodore. I also know someone whos got a stock 3.8L Commodore and done the whole HSV bodykit and crap on it, but only use it to drop her kids down at school, and the highest speed she would ever be going is 100kph. This is what I call Australasian rice.

Body Kits in their intended form as ground effects, are to improve the aerodynamics of a car. Unfortunately ricers have exploited them.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

Quote Originally Posted by Nildo
    Seriously though, bodykits are designed to change the flow of air around a car making it more stable at high speeds among other things. These days they are often nothing more than a fashion statement, and a detestable one at that. Want an unusual or unique Civic? Why not bolt in a 2.2 VTEC motor or supercharge it or rear mount the engine or something far out!

Actually not only Jap fans (which I am proud to be) are guilty of this posturing. I have seen some very ordinary Commodores of late save for big HRT wings and replica Walkinshaw Group A bodykits which serve no purpose.
    The rear wing on the first Yellow GTS VS Commodores was actually designed not to work because they found that if it did at high speed, it lightened the front too much and made it dangerous to steer. Obviously a purpose built kit , correctly designed would have incorporated a front dam to hold down that end of things. Unfortunately cars designed for public road use are compromised by spoon drains and the like. The Walkinshaw VL actually had all the racing bits because of homologation rules at that time. Apparently most dealers would remove the genuine side skirts and replace them with smaller ones. You got the originals in the boot becasue they made the car impractical for road use. Ironically then one of the most "rice-ish" body kits found on a Commodore was in fact one of the most effective. While I'm going on about it, HSV actually said to the guy who designed the Monaro that, despite his protestations to the contrary, they had to put a spoiler on the HSV coupes because the people they were aimed at would not accept a car like that without. How dare they. If I ordered one it would be the one thing I would delete.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Alternativly you could always turn to playdough and a small model car to play with.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Im a jap fan by far but id have to side with the american muscle fans on this one. Body kits are intended* to be used for aerodynamics but no one does same thing with front air dams should be used to fit a larger intercooler but again no one does. Personally I like a hatchback with a carbon lip on the front stock sides and rear and a spoon carbon wing and thats it for aero* body parts. Yea i believe eggnog said that a 2.2 motor from the prelude would be nice and wow it is. Someone in my town has a hatchback with the H22 droppe din fully built and turbo'd. The car is completely stripped on the interior and he took it up to hot import nights seattle and it dyno'd at over 400hp in a car that weighs under 2k. One downfall though he struggles to get traction. But that is one unordinary hatchback (NO BODYKIT )

Quote Originally Posted by HBloverb18
    Yea i believe eggnog said that a 2.2 motor from the prelude would be nice and wow it is.
    Due credit goes to Nildo. I said no such things...but I agree, it is (or was, rather) one of the nicer 4-bangers in Honda's lineup...

sorry both yellow car icons lol, yea too bad it weighed a fortune lol but thats why they came up with the motor swap. Is that an mr2 on your icon or what?

oops nvm its an audi? what type?

Thread Information