Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automotive tools?

Automotive tools?

I'm searching for a good and affordable automotive tool brand. I need prices for a school assignement. If anyone has an idea or the name of a decent brand, please post the brand name/website .

Thanx!
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

SOrry J, what do you mean by "affordable" ?
    Snap-On are very expensive but will NEVER break on your or slip off or wear out. http://www.snapon.com/ So are "cheaper" in the long run. You find pros have one set of compelte spanners - usually something like Snap-ON - and amateurs have 3 or 4 sets of spanners each with one spanner broken or worn in each !!!!

Draper are another good make in the UK with excellent backup for any failures.http://www.draper.co.uk/

In the UK, Halfords are producing very good tools under their own names and their ratchets are holdign up to abuse well ! Don't know who is manufacturign them for them. You can find all theirs at www.halfords.co.uk
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Snap-On: good, but afordability is questionable

Prices you will need to get from your local distributor. At a guess (not knowing local taxes and teh like) a basic kit for a mechanic at ~E2000, an extensive one with lots of speciality tools for some brands (Porsche is nortorious for this) ~E7000
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    SOrry J, what do you mean by "affordable" ?
    Think of this situation: you are starting up your own car modifie/paint shop and have 4 employees. They all need tools (wrenches, paintguns etc. etc.). So the tools will be used every day and under heavy conditions. So we need good tools BUT the main aim of the assignment is to have good finances too. So price is important too.

Of course I checked Snap-On immediatly, but they are quite expensive for a starting entrepeneur. That's why I asked you people, figuring you would know some other good brands
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

What level of turnover and profitability are you aiming for ?
    How close is a "cheap" tool supplier ?

Cheap tools will consume costs on an on-going basis and cause frustration to the mechanics, possible damage to vehicles when they fail in use and cost TIME. All cuts into your profits. IF you are going to have 4 busy mechanics going 7 hours a day then do you REALLY want them upset, delayed and non-profitable ? THink about mechanic retention too - don't understimate the attraction of a very good tool set. ( BTW in the UK it's common in small startups for the mechanics to use their own tools ! at their own costs. MOST you will find are running expensive Snap-On or german tools ) )

Remember too that if a broken tool needs you to stop work go out, buy a replacement and then restart you can cause delays that impact the customer too ( This is less likely in a workshop with 4 complete sets as the broken tool can alwasy be "borrowed" - as long as you have a replacment policy. I've been on a job where EVERYONE's heavy 15" wrench was busted )

So if start-up costs are critical to the business viability then buy cheap ( though I'd suggest one GOOD set for the senior mechanic ). But plan to re-invest profits to grow the tool kits to full sets of QUALITY ones.

What kind of targets do you have for startup costs and projected job rate and income ?

PS: Check the Halfords prices as I'd said. THey are good quality and act like well made expensive tools You coudl probably source similar ones from other local suppliers.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

We have both 'invest' E. 10.000 and have a third man who will invest E 7.500. So we need a loan. But I need these kind of costs to estimate how big our loan must be...

But I think I'm gonna go for the Snap-On tools for everyday use tools (wrenches, engine tools) and get some cheaper tools for other things (paint, damage repair)

Depends rteally. Cousin has 2 of teh roller carts full of snap-on tools, cost him close to £50k!

MAC wools are really good. www.mactools.com might be their site, nottoo sure.

Company here aswell, www.machinemart.co.uk, quite cheap, but dont know about quality

EDIT: Nice one Mustang

Bernie Ecclestone

Watch out for "special tools " in costs.
    Local garage owner was telling me that he can't afford to do modern Vauxhall timing belts because of the cost of the special tool -- £300+ for each engine nearly !!
    So if a customer asks him to change a timing belt he turns them away or tries to "borrow" it from mates workign in main dealers.
    WATCH OUT For the tools you will NEED for the cars you intend to work on.

Also, remember what is your "exit strategy" for the business. YOU will want one complete decen set of tools. BUt what will you do wiht the other three ? Could you recoup the investment by sellign on the local sencodn hand market ? If yes, then no -brainer AND IF YES< maybe you can BUY some of the startup tools there !!!

Some of the MachineMart stuff s good and some of it is ATROCIOUS.
    Caveat emptor If it's really cheap at MM then it's cr@p

Got another question: how are those hydraulic/ pneumatic 'guns' called that the mechanics use in a F1 pitstop to change the tyres? I have no idea how it's called

I know. Bought a set off 22 spanners for £16, snapped em all!!

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    Got another question: how are those hydraulic/ pneumatic 'guns' called that the mechanics use in a F1 pitstop to change the tyres? I have no idea how it's called
    Usually just an Air-powered Rachet iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by adamfraser
    Usually just an Air-powered Rachet iirc.
    and do NOT skimp there or it can get expensive.
    A reliable accurate torque controlled one OR you find a lug bolt snapped, a nut stripped, an alloy damaged or an irate owner coming back complaining he can't get his wheel off

Also for a 4 car worksop with long hose lines remember you will need a GOOD compressor and LARGE storage if you want them to be effective !!

If this is a purely an academic issue (as I think it is) and you want to deliver the highest profitability you just need to find the cheapest supplier there is. Look for chinese products.

If this is an actual business plan and/or you would like to consider the closest to real life issues, go with Matra's recommendations. The cheap stuff gets to be more expensive on the long run. Finally, check your local suppliers. Its of no use finding a really cheap supplier in say, Spain, if when you add up transport and legal expenses they are more expensive.

Check, www.craftsman.com, I think they are good all around but that's not really my area of expertise.
    Zag when they Zig

Thread Information