Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worst Kind of Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey
    Least entertaining motorsport = NASCAR, although purely due to rallying being mostly unavailable to watch on terrestrial TV in the UK it's fast approaching NASCAR.

Rallying's an awesome sport, truly sensational so why the hell does it have to be on TV when everyone's asleep? I always manage to miss it and it's always on the night you don't check the TV guide so not only do you miss it buy your Video / DVD recorder does too...!

The worst kinds of racing though are chavs in supermarket car parks, high streets and McDonalds drive thru's, van drivers and taxi drivers - I've had cause to want to see some of these people have a bad accident after they've done something stupid on the road, repeatedly.

Whilst we're on the subject, this is one for people driving on English roads...stick to your own side of the road! If you can't keep your car in the right place, slow down. I'm seriously thinking about buying an old Toyota Hilux and taking the side off the next tw*t's 3-series that comes round a corner on the wrong side of the road heading towards me.
    Let me get this straight, you don't like Rally because of a LACK OF COVERAGE!?!? This topic isn't about what coverage which discipline gets, but rather what you see as the "Worst kind of racing".

Personally, I don't care much for NASCAR, but I don't doubt that it requires a lot of skill to drive for that amount of time at those speeds. It just doesn't do it for me though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sauc3; 04-30-2006 at 11:57 PM.

Drifting - mostly due to the way scoring goes, because its judged, its never going to be 100% objective. In normal racing, you win because you finish first

As for drag racing, dial in classes require heaps of skill because of you have to know exactly how fast your car is and be able to not beat that time. As for other classes, (ie Top Fuellers), they have to get a car with so much power dynos can't measure it off the line without shaking the tyres, keep it in a straight line with tyres that probably aren't a lot wider than those on my bike on the front and be aware of where the other guy is so they know if they can roll off the throttle and be able deal with the just sheer force of accelerating to 500+kmh in about 5 seconds.

As for NASCAR, it can be pretty damn boring but theres definate skill. Moving a car with the power of an F1 car, minus the technology and aero through 20-30 other cars at like 300kmh, that takes skill, as well as balls that would shame a bull.

Quote Originally Posted by Clique
    You cant say that stock car racing requires no skill... If it didnt require any skill then why arent you racing and earning big money?... You can say F1 requires no skill because of the techonolgy...I think that you personally need to race in order to apperciate the skill required to race at the highest level...
    If F1 requires no skill then why arent you racing and earning big money?
    your prior argument discounts the following one.

The worst kind of racing in my opinion is nascar, why would i want to watch a race that the only excitement and the only reason people watch it are from the crashes?

My favorite is rally. Most exciting and skilled racing there is in my opinion.
    You can call me scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    You are highlighting how well teh CAR does, as I'd said K, that's a lot down to $$$$$.
    Reaction time is critical and IIRC in top-fuelers they have preset changes. So it's not a lot of skill - especialy as it IS condensed into such a short time
    BUt it's not zero adn you wont' see bad drivers winning no matter HOW much they spend !!!
    Money is fudemental in all kinds of racing IMO or at least in all forms of pro racing. How fast do you want to go? How much do you wanna spend? Has anyone seen the steering wheel corrections pro drag racers make while going down the 1/4 mile? It has to take alot of skill and guts to get a 3,000+ HP car down 1,420 feet in less than 5 secs.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by scottie300z
    If F1 requires no skill then why arent you racing and earning big money?
    your prior argument discounts the following one.

The worst kind of racing in my opinion is nascar, why would i want to watch a race that the only excitement and the only reason people watch it are from the crashes?

My favorite is rally. Most exciting and skilled racing there is in my opinion.
    Don't make generalizations. I watch NASCAR, and not because of the crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Don't make generalizations. I watch NASCAR, and not because of the crashes.
    may be a generalization, but id put money that if they did a study you'd see the majority of viewers match the generalization. and the others would agree that the most exciting part of nascar is the crashes. and thats b/c most of the laps are all the same besides maybe a few key passes or a photo finish. where in other types of races there are more differentiation such as in rally. I will say F1 only has a little more differentiation than nascar, but F1 also takes more toll on the drivers and even w/ technology does take more skill.
    You can call me scott.

Nascar is the worst..
    The best are lemans...gt cups...ferrari challenge...f1..rally

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Agreed, but, I'd bet it'd be 5x easier with a rally car.
    Not really. If you thinking what I'm thinking.

THEN try to do a snowy corner at three times the speed of a "normal" everyday highness and you see why rally cars are there where they are!!

He was talking about doing it at "80 mph" and you said it'd be 5x easier in a rally car - which I agree to, but ONLY at that speed. The main argument between the 80's GpB RWD rally cars and the WRC 4WD ones was that the latter was more dangerous because 4 wheel grip meant taking a corner faster and more dangerously than ever before!! Rally cars are rally cars because they take it to a higher level of skill and competition. Infact, I'd say that for a rally driver taking a stock 4WD (say the STi or Evo) would find it easier 'round a stage than his Evo WRC/STi WRC because of lower speeds, more weight etc, but I can't comment on that really.

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    Not really. If you thinking what I'm thinking.

THEN try to do a snowy corner at three times the speed of a "normal" everyday highness and you see why rally cars are there where they are!!

He was talking about doing it at "80 mph" and you said it'd be 5x easier in a rally car - which I agree to, but ONLY at that speed. The main argument between the 80's GpB RWD rally cars and the WRC 4WD ones was that the latter was more dangerous because 4 wheel grip meant taking a corner faster and more dangerously than ever before!! Rally cars are rally cars because they take it to a higher level of skill and competition. Infact, I'd say that for a rally driver taking a stock 4WD (say the STi or Evo) would find it easier 'round a stage than his Evo WRC/STi WRC because of lower speeds, more weight etc, but I can't comment on that really.
    actually today's wrc cars still haven't reached the speed of the fastest grp B carsand it was discontinued because of a rash of deadly crashes.

and driving a stock evo vs a rally preparde one is relative because it depends what you mean by easier. it would be much easier to drive the rally car fast because that is what it was designed to do
    -Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

-I thought the blacks in Baltimore were bad, shit, they’re nothing compared to these fags you got here in San Francisco…haha.

-Kenny Powers

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    The main argument between the 80's GpB RWD rally cars and the WRC 4WD ones was that the latter was more dangerous because 4 wheel grip meant taking a corner faster and more dangerously than ever before!!.
    The few GroubB rally cars that were RWD were also mid/rear engine, weren't all that competitive and were dropped VERY quicly by the teams to move to AWD.
    GroupB were dangerous because there were no power limits and weight restrictions were obsecenly low and they were competing on stages they were far too fast for and ran on for too long so drivers became fatigued. WRC events dont go near the most difficutl/dangerous stages of old and drivesr dont rally overnight and get service halts on a regular basis.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

It's much less 'hardcore' now.

Matra, are you going to the Stoneleigh Historic Motorsport Show (sic)? Slowly Sideways GB (of whom I'm sure you are aware), are doing a Group B demo there round a rallycrossish stage. There's going to be an 037, 6R4, Stratos, an A110 (oh yes, you like that little nugget dontcha?) and a bunch of others I can't remember.

The rest of it looks pretty good too: www.historicmotorsportshow.com

Quote Originally Posted by scottie300z
    may be a generalization, but id put money that if they did a study you'd see the majority of viewers match the generalization. and the others would agree that the most exciting part of nascar is the crashes. and thats b/c most of the laps are all the same besides maybe a few key passes or a photo finish. where in other types of races there are more differentiation such as in rally. I will say F1 only has a little more differentiation than nascar, but F1 also takes more toll on the drivers and even w/ technology does take more skill.
    Still not true. Ask the NASCAR fans in this forum if they only watch it for the crashes. The answer will be no. When you have a driver you follow year after year, race to race, it's exciting. A driver can climb from 36th place to 1st in 25 laps, or can go from 1st to 18th in 2 laps. It's eventful, both exciting/boring at times, and involves a good bit of strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    Matra, are you going to the Stoneleigh Historic Motorsport Show (sic)? Slowly Sideways GB (of whom I'm sure you are aware), are doing a Group B demo there round a rallycrossish stage. There's going to be an 037, 6R4, Stratos, an A110 (oh yes, you like that little nugget dontcha?) and a bunch of others I can't remember.
    The answer HAD been a yes -- there are going to be more than one A110 there

But might be diving in Ten' that week, trygin to move to the folowing so plans are fluid. Are you ? If so we should catch up.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I will indeed. I'm not missing an opportunity to see/hear/smell some Group B madness. I can't bloody wait!

I must admit I'm intruiged by the motorbike side-car trials, too.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverG35SportC
    Nascar is the worst kind of racing in my opinion. They only go left, I mean sure it takes some amount of skill but I just cant see how its "so amazing". I mean its the same thing for 500 Miles etc... Just brutal.
    Yes, but they have to battle against 40 other drivers, and they don't have traction control or power steering/brakes.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Thread Information