Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: $2,000,000 for a Cuda!?

Quote Originally Posted by M3GTR33
    If a Ferrari Revved it's engine next to a Cuda, the Cuda would probably pee its pants, there's no comparison.
    I would search for and upload audio tracks in comparison but I don't have the time. If you're looking for a high-revving monster lurking in the exhaust, then the 250 is your best bet, but if you're looking for a deep, low-pitched roar from a car, the Cuda may be the cream of the crop.

have you ever seen or heard a 60's Ferrari? They make the meanest sound of any car of that era besides maybe a GT40. If a Ferrari Revved it's engine next to a Cuda, the Cuda would probably pee its pants, there's no comparison.
    I don't think you have ever been to a vintage car race. The muscle car's v-8's drown out the ferraris and other higher revving cars. As for the peeing the pants deal, the cuda would prolly be able to hold it in.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by 67gt500
    Originally Posted by TVR IS KING
    If it represented the pinnacle, why was there only 14 built?

My thoughts exactly, Anyone know what this car originally sold for $ 8 - 10K?
    It's just a Dodge! This whole Hemi thing has gotten out of hand....
    Road Test magazine's test (June, 1970) of a '70 Dodge Challenger Hemi was
    $4,180.50 as tested.

By 1970, there was not a huge demand for muscle cars, espeically with big blocks. The insurance for those was getting very expensive.
    And, not "just a Dodge," but a legendary Dodge!
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    I don't think you have ever been to a vintage car race. The muscle car's v-8's drown out the ferraris and other higher revving cars.
    True. And especially a Hemi (or a 427 Chevy or Ford) with open headers. I heard them myself. At car shows and the weekly car cruise I go to. Not only do some of those powerful big blocks set off car alarms, I heard one set off a car alarm about 60 or 70 feet away from the car! They are very loud, with a deep rumble.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Ah johnnynumfiv, don't go there, my grandpa was the president of SCCA, and my father is a member of the new Autobahn country club. Heraled as one of the best new race tracks in the U.S.

ANyway, let me remind you,those muscle cars you speak of are very highly tuned and another thing, we own a 275GTB/4 and it is the loudest car I've every heard. There a picture of me driving it on the Autobahn C.C. website.
    NASCAR = REDNECK

Guys let me remind you, realize this, you are comparing a highly tuned racing machine against a muscle car. There's no comparision. Especially between a 250 GTO and a Hemi Cuda. One is a homologation racer and the other is a redneck's dream. It's like comparing a Fighter Plane and a Yugo. Besides Viper007, as cool and tough as the Cuda is, have you ever seen or heard a 60's Ferrari? They make the meanest sound of any car of that era besides maybe a GT40. If a Ferrari Revved it's engine next to a Cuda, the Cuda would probably pee its pants, there's no comparison.
    They have two entirely different sounds. I think the cuda better in sound. I know the guy who owned a 71 cuda vert sold it for 400 grand. Then the guy who bought it sold it for a 2 mill a year and a half later. The guy has a collection like no other and just finds rare old cars to buy and sell for a job. What a life...

Also one of my dads Freinds drives at autobauhn country club in a modded race mustang pushing 750 horse.
    Last edited by rev440; 01-24-2006 at 02:56 PM.
    UCP biggest mustang lover

im all about originality, and classic cars, and whatnot...but $2mil for a Hemi Cuda Conv. is just stupid...you could just as easily buy a Cuda clone that is perfectly identical to an original for waay waay less...
    it makes a Bugatti Veyron look like a bargain, and you cant make an identical clone of that

think of all the cars, no...think of all the stuff, no...think of all the things you could do with $2mil...

Quote Originally Posted by BMW325
    im all about originality, and classic cars, and whatnot...but $2mil for a Hemi Cuda Conv. is just stupid...you could just as easily buy a Cuda clone that is perfectly identical to an original for waay waay less...
    it makes a Bugatti Veyron look like a bargain, and you cant make an identical clone of that

think of all the cars, no...think of all the stuff, no...think of all the things you could do with $2mil...
    Whats the point of having a clone when you can have the real thing? Clearly money is no problem with the man who bought this car.

Also one of my dads Freinds drives at autobauhn country club in a modded race mustang pushing 750 horse.[/QUOTE]

Thats pretty cool, it's aliitle cold thier right now though.

We have some pretty sweet rides too. My dad and I both drive M3 track cars there and we have a vintage Ferrari F2 we bought from Continental Ferrari in Hindsdale.

I think in general though, I think that engine sound all depends on what has been done to the car and what kind of engine one is using.
    NASCAR = REDNECK

Ah johnnynumfiv, don't go there, my grandpa was the president of SCCA, and my father is a member of the new Autobahn country club. Heraled as one of the best new race tracks in the U.S.

ANyway, let me remind you,those muscle cars you speak of are very highly tuned and another thing, we own a 275GTB/4 and it is the loudest car I've every heard. There a picture of me driving it on the Autobahn C.C. website.
    And let me remind you,
    Guys let me remind you, realize this, you are comparing a highly tuned racing machine against a muscle car.
    So you are saying the ferrari can be highly tuned, but the muscle car can't be?

One is a homologation racer and the other is a redneck's dream.
    So why can't we compare race car vs race car?

PS, I don't give a rats ass about who your family is or who they were because it means nothing.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Well $2mil seems a lot, but cars are worth what people are prepared to pay for them. We still get the odd story of farmers finding old classics in barns, rotten to hell and back, and getting £50,000 for the carcass! If it's rare enough AND special enough, then people will pay for it. It's a kudos thing.

I guess what I'm saying is the car IS worth it, if the market says it is! Simple as that.

Who cares what the engine sounds like? A truly unique classic is what it is, be it a Ferrari or a muscle car!
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes."
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -
    http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/

Its a status symbol.....not many i think 14 can say if that they own a Cuda Vert

They appeal to different people. Just because I like the Cuda more makes me a redneck? Hell then what does riding fourwheelers, going mudding, and drag racing make me?
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    And let me remind you,

So you are saying the ferrari can be highly tuned, but the muscle car can't be?

So why can't we compare race car vs race car?

PS, I don't give a rats ass about who your family is or who they were because it means nothing.

I never said that read it again you tard. I said, "those muscle cars you speak of are very highly tuned... "

And we can, thats fine

You brought up vintage racing and said basically that I had no idea what I was talking about it I just wanted to establish that I do. Though your right I don't need to get in to my families racing experience in. -SORRY

P.S. I've never heard of a Hemi Cuda Convertable race car so....what now. lol
    NASCAR = REDNECK

Quote Originally Posted by greg.Harvey
    Well $Mil seems a lot, but cars are worth what people are prepared to pay for them. We still get the odd story of farmers finding old classics in barns, rotten to hell and back, and getting £50,000 for the carcass! If it's rare enough AND special enough, then people will pay for it. It's a kudos thing.

I guess what I'm saying is the car IS worth it, if the market says it is! Simple as that.

Who cares what the engine sounds like? A truly unique classic is what it is, be it a Ferrari or a muscle car!
    You're right, a car IS worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

My issue with this is that generally premiums in price come from what the automotive community considers worthy of bringing such premiums. Cars collectively thought of highly because of winning race heritage or masterpiece builds like Duesenberg and Figoni and Flash cars.

The only thing the 'Cuda has is that there were 14 built. Unlike nicer cars of its ilk, the ZL1 Camaro used an all-aluminum engine, the 'Cuda makes do with a mundane big block iron lump. Not to nit-pick details but the bottom line is there is nothing that special about a Hemi 'Cuda.

The 2 mil is only because muscle cars are an all-American invention and are honored as revered ancestors at auctions. To me this frenzied pricing is no different than: an Elvis fan paying 2 mil for a petrified turd from the King or a lock of his hair...
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Thread Information