Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best sounding car?

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Ferrari 250 and 330-series V12 engines are super-sweet sounding. E46 M3's, Tadek Marek-designed Aston straight sixes, and the Maserati 3500 are also great. I also really enjoy the pounding of an American big block six. Aside from that, the old 200ci Ford flathead fours (yes, the ones in model T's and B's) can be made to have a neat-o sound, and of course I love a Ford Flathead V8. Lastly, I think that most VW 4-cylinders are not bad sounding at all.

Oh, and I almost forgot. There's a video on YouTube of a guy running a supercharged Packard inline 8 in his hot rod. Great sounding car.
    Last edited by jcp123; 10-08-2012 at 07:48 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Ferrari 250 and 330-series V12 engines are super-sweet sounding. E46 M3's, Tadek Marek-designed Aston straight sixes, and the Maserati 3500 are also great. I also really enjoy the pounding of an American big block six.
    An American big-block six? Did you mean to say an American big-block V-8? I've never heard am American 6-cylinder that sounds as good as a Mopar 426-Hemi or 427 Ford or Chevy.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Yeah, the big block sixes...Chevy 292 and Ford 300. GMC had a nice 302ci inliner in the 50s, nearly impossible to find now. Chrysler had some hemi-headed slant sixes in Australia too, IIRC in displacements up to 265ci. Horsepower hung around 1/ci as well on those, and the blokes down under have, of course, put out some further speed goodies for the Hemi /6's.
    Last edited by jcp123; 10-22-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Ferrari 250 and 330-series V12 engines are super-sweet sounding.
    nice that you mention those, we were at the Dix Mille Tours at Paul Ricard last weekend (report to come...) and there were some 250 SWBs, and one of them had that glorious engine note which was not spoiled by an open exhaust.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    nice that you mention those, we were at the Dix Mille Tours at Paul Ricard last weekend (report to come...) and there were some 250 SWBs, and one of them had that glorious engine note which was not spoiled by an open exhaust.
    Just watched some more videos featuring the Colombo V12s. Definitely beautiful sounding motors. To my mind the automotive equivalent of an Omega Speedmaster. FAR better than anything the modern sportscar guys are putting out. And they were still 7k rpm motors.
    Last edited by jcp123; 10-28-2012 at 01:21 AM.

The old Saab with a motor swap sounds like a pack of angry killer bees. Tadalista
    Last edited by KevinnN; 11-11-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinnN View Post
    The old Saab with a motor swap sounds like a pack of angry killer bees.
    Engine swap? From 1949 to 1967 Saab used 2 strokes, then switched to Ford V4s until the 99 began production.

Angry killer bees is a good description.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5ytps0VDuI&feature=related"]Saab 93 XP World record - YouTube[/ame]
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

No entirely on-topic, but more or less related, I recently heard one of the modern Saab Turbo Xs with the V6 engine and it sounded angry. Never thought an executive saloon from a swedish car company known for the safety of their cars would sound this mean.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

That record 93 obviously doesn't have the original gearbox, he wouldn't have needed to blip for the down shift on the free wheeling one.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Am I allowed to bring motorbikes in here, because it is really tempting....
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    No entirely on-topic, but more or less related, I recently heard one of the modern Saab Turbo Xs with the V6 engine and it sounded angry. Never thought an executive saloon from a swedish car company known for the safety of their cars would sound this mean.
    Now that you mention it, I found this vid of a Passat 2,8l with a B7 Audi S4 exhaust, and it sounded mean. Very classic 6-banger sound, reminded me a lot of the Tadek Marek sixes I mentioned earlier.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35EOcIn_ln4"]Passat 3bg 2.8 V6 4motion highline - S4 B7 Auspuff Sound - YouTube[/ame]

I also like the sound of a Detroit Diesel 2-stroke...

As to the Ferrari 330s...here's a good vid. He teases you a bit at the beginning but talks too much. Skip to about 3:45 or so to catch the best bit.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcwZ6HU391I"]Harrys Garage- Ferrari 330 GT 2+2- EVO Video Diary Pt. 2 - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by jcp123; 11-04-2012 at 12:32 AM.

Last but not least...perhaps my favourite vid on YouTube... the aforementioned Ford rod running a 'charged Packard straight 8. He used to have a better vid but YouTube dicked with his account. The whine you hear is actually not the supercharger, but the straight-cut trans gears.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9F5t7JLbY0"]Packard inline 8 powered hot rod. - YouTube[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    is that the model with the gm V6?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    is that the model with the gm V6?
    Yes, it is.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

here is nice sounding Ferrari 250 SWB.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEWgxCGQhoU"]Ferrari 250 SWB Tour Auto 2003 - YouTube[/ame]
    "There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games"
    -Ernest Hemingway

Thread Information