Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Best sounding car?

Going back to Japanese cars...

Honda S800. I expected it to sound more like bees, but it's actually somewhat throaty.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9WvY9kyw0w&feature=plcp"]HONDA S800 - YouTube[/ame]

And the Honda McLaren MP4/5

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hiTkg1tHnk"]McLaren HONDA MP4/5 Strip - YouTube[/ame]

Two Japanese engined cars from NSX?! Whodda thunk it?

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Last but not least...perhaps my favourite vid on YouTube... the aforementioned Ford rod running a 'charged Packard straight 8. He used to have a better vid but YouTube dicked with his account. The whine you hear is actually not the supercharger, but the straight-cut trans gears.

Packard inline 8 powered hot rod. - YouTube
    Excellent choice! Staying on this theme, a beglasspacked Flathead is among my favorite noises.

Back to your video, though. I remember seeing this somewhere on the net a while back; it's good to see someone in the hotrod community doing something different. While the current low and ratty trend is much more visually appealing than the horrible dayglo Chip-Foose awfulness of the '90s, I feel like the scene is stagnating. It's becoming formulaic, and really, no one's impressed by a small block Chev in a deuce. Also, I don't like airbags (the suspension), which are becoming a lot more popular. If you want to customize a car, why do the exact same thing as everyone else? That said, I like flatties because they have period charm that most more-modern engines do not.

I think it'd have been cool if rather than switching to a V8 in '55, Packard had made an OHV inliner.

EDIT: Kitdy is just mad that his supposedly-quality German machine spits out head gaskets like sunflower seeds.
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 11-05-2012 at 03:42 PM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErWin76 View Post
    here is nice sounding Ferrari 250 SWB.

Ferrari 250 SWB Tour Auto 2003 - YouTube
    Nice. Watched it the whole way through. He moves gears smoothly, and he had bawlz driving on that race in snow-laden area that he was.
    Last edited by jcp123; 11-05-2012 at 08:31 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Excellent choice! Staying on this theme, a beglasspacked Flathead is among my favorite noises.

Back to your video, though. I remember seeing this somewhere on the net a while back; it's good to see someone in the hotrod community doing something different. While the current low and ratty trend is much more visually appealing than the horrible dayglo Chip-Foose awfulness of the '90s, I feel like the scene is stagnating. It's becoming formulaic, and really, no one's impressed by a small block Chev in a deuce. Also, I don't like airbags (the suspension), which are becoming a lot more popular. If you want to customize a car, why do the exact same thing as everyone else? That said, I like flatties because they have period charm that most more-modern engines do not.

I think it'd have been cool if rather than switching to a V8 in '55, Packard had made an OHV inliner.

EDIT: Kitdy is just mad that his supposedly-quality German machine spits out head gaskets like sunflower seeds.
    I agree. One reason I love a good straight six or straight 8 in one. Even a Ford flattie 8, good as it sounds, is almost as run out as an SBC. I fantasize about one of the Aussie hemi Mopar sixes or a Ferrari Colombo v12 (a combo I have seen at Steve Moal's shop in California before) also for this reason. The old school rods should be a vessel for personalization, not another mainstream to join.

Hell, be a little bit original and at least run a y-block v8 or one of those great running Lincoln 430" units...unique would be one of the GM 215ci V8s they sold to Rover. Aw I could go all day on the subject. Many more motors and transmissions have bounced around in my head. But you already know what I mean.
    Last edited by jcp123; 11-05-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Guys, if you can imagine it, its been done before. Their is no "new" or unique idea in hot rodding. I've seen everything from lincoln v12s, a couple ferrari v12s (Hot Rod published one in the 60s!), rover v8s, sixes of all kinds, four bangers are so old they predate the title hot rod. I've yet to see a five banger in a rod. I've seen viper swaps. I have seen FWD hot rods which were basically an Olds Toronado front end. I've seen Rear engined rods with tornado front ends inverted. I could go on and on. the engines themselves are only one part of the customization. You could have some engine right out of butt**** nowhere in your rod, but what makes a rod truly unique is dozens upon dozens of customizations...

I'd like to make a twin engine FWD and RWD Bug based car sometime, just to see if I could....
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    I agree. One reason I love a good straight six or straight 8 in one. Even a Ford flattie 8, good as it sounds, is almost as run out as an SBC. I fantasize about one of the Aussie hemi Mopar sixes or a
    i had an opportunity drive a chrysler centura with a 245 hemi six in it - what an unsuspecting rocket..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Now that we're done playing games, here's Colin McRae's 1993 Legacy:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jiBF2mGxdw"]Colin McRae Subaru Legacy RS - with pure engine sounds (Tour de Corse 1993) - YouTube[/ame]

Start up:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLwGMewPQQI&feature=fvwrel"]555 SUBARU LEGACY RS Gr.A BOXER SOUND!! - YouTube[/ame]
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum9987 View Post
    Guys, if you can imagine it, its been done before. Their is no "new" or unique idea in hot rodding. I've seen everything from lincoln v12s, a couple ferrari v12s (Hot Rod published one in the 60s!), rover v8s, sixes of all kinds, four bangers are so old they predate the title hot rod. I've yet to see a five banger in a rod. I've seen viper swaps. I have seen FWD hot rods which were basically an Olds Toronado front end. I've seen Rear engined rods with tornado front ends inverted. I could go on and on. the engines themselves are only one part of the customization. You could have some engine right out of butt**** nowhere in your rod, but what makes a rod truly unique is dozens upon dozens of customizations...

I'd like to make a twin engine FWD and RWD Bug based car sometime, just to see if I could....
    Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Two Japanese engined cars from NSX?! Whodda thunk it?
    And they happen to be both Hondas!

What a coincidence?

Kingofthering, I've seen those videos before, but nice addition anyway!
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 11-07-2012 at 05:53 AM.

Porsche carrera GT

no one said no, so I'm putting up some motorcycles
    Board Track racers sound truly amazing!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfEZyCccKTs"]Indian 1915 8 valve boardtrack film.wmv - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZawh_6oyqc"]1928 German tuned Harley 8- valve on Dyno - YouTube[/ame]
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

I think it's generally considered to wise to strap into a dyno, especially with no front brake.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

The 1st video isn't on a dyno, just a roller/s so no resistance to make it want to drive forward.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Since you went to motorcycles, all gloves are off.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_s7rrG7oGw&feature=relmfu"]Honda RC181 [1967] - TRACTIONS MOVIE 20 - YouTube[/ame]

Any vehicle that requires an engine to start has got to be pretty awesome.

Thread Information