Thread: What's the American version of "The Office" like?

What's the American version of "The Office" like?

I've just finished doing my "The Office" marathon - watched every episode of the British series on DVD back to back, and I just found out the Americans did a remake of it. They don't show the American remake on New Zealand TV, so I'd like to know from anyone who's seen it - is it as good as the original?

I'd be very doubtful that the Americans could do it as well as Ricky Gervais and co as the original British series was just so damn good. However, it is directed by the same 2 guys, and it does have Steve Carrell (Anchorman, Bruce Almighty, The 40 Year Old Virgin, Saturday Night Live) as the boss, so I'd be very interested to find out how good it is compared to the original.
    I am a New Zealander, and I hate Greg Murphy. Yes, we exist.

It is pretty good but extremely adult orriented

I think its hilarious and its my favorite show. I haven't seen the British version but my friend told me its the same type of characters and stuff. So sounds to me like its a good successor to the British one.

I liked the Christmas one a lot

Yeah, the American version is hilarious...ever heard of Steve Carell? He was in Anchorman, 40-Year-Old Virgin, etc. Very funny guy, plays the clueless boss extremely well. Great show.
    Signature? We don't need no steenking signature

I find the show to be great. I'd bet a British viewer of the American version would find it stupid, and American viewers of the British show probably wouldn't understand it.

The American version died a horrible death here (4 eps) while the British one is loved.

The American one isnt as nasty, has no ugly people, and the manager isnt played as harshly.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

i can only watch a few eps of the british eps before switchin it off, i hate watching people be idiots and the manager just drives me insane. I' d have punched him out long ago.
    The Datto will rage again...

According to what I've heard, the American version is an exact copy when it comes to characters and plot. Two of my favourite characters from the original series are Tim and Gareth and they are the ones that share a desk playing pranks on eachother all the time. In the American series, who plays these two?

Also the idea of Steve Carrell playing the boss cracks me up - I've liked all his previous movies, especially the weatherman he played in 'Anchorman'
    I am a New Zealander, and I hate Greg Murphy. Yes, we exist.

The basis of the US "Office" is the Ricky Gervais character and the first 2 (IIRC) were word for word the same script.

The UK "Office" is harsh insight into human nature. Funny and painful at the same time. It is genius and having watched the US versions (thank you bittorrent) it is good but not as the original. The painful parts are less sever, the stupidity then doesn't come over as strongly and the characters aren't as stark - all the things that make the original very funny.

I didnt' watch "Office" the first time round as after the first couple of episodes I found other things to do. I ended up watching the following series and the first and loved it. I liken it ot "MASH", it took a while to understand the mix of negative and positive emotions.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Compared to the UK version, the American one isn't as good. The British one just has that extra something. (Originality possibly?) Or maybe I just like the humor better. The Uk one just seems more harsh, probably due to some stupid American broadcasting rules. I saw the British one when I was living in Japan. Friend of mine was really into it and introduced me. As soon as I saw the first episode I knew it was gonna be hilarious.
    Last edited by cp01ae; 01-30-2006 at 05:57 AM.
    Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.

Thread Information