Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aston Martin DB4 GT 1959-1963

Aston Martin DB4 GT 1959-1963

Aston Martin DB5 #5
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't bother me, I'm probably working while posting...

UCP's biggest...oh man...i got nothin'

Aston Martin DB4 GT 1959-1963

One year after the DB4's debut, Aston Martin launched the DB4 GT competition version. Designed to break Ferrari's GT-racing stronghold, the DB4 GT was built for both the works teams and privateers. Outwardly, subtle changes distinguished the the GT from the standard DB4. Under the Touring styled body various modifications were carried through that really turned the DB4 into a racer.

Weight reduction was one of the objectives in the GT's design. Most weight was saved by the wheelbase reduction of just over 12 cm. For the body construction the 'Superleggera' principle of body panels fixed on a tubular frame was used. The alloy panels of the DB4 were replaced by 18 gauge magnesium aluminum alloy panels on the GT. Most distinguishable features of the GT were the large air scoops and the cowled front lights.

The DB4 was the first road going Aston Martin to be equipped with the all-alloy 3670 cc straight six engine, designed by Tadek Marek. In stock form the engine produced a decent 240 bhp, sufficient for road use but not enough to face the competition on the track. Power was increased to a factory claimed 302 bhp by fitting a twin-plug head, 3 Weber carburetors instead of the two SUs and twin distributors.

As mentioned before, the DB4 GT made its public debut at the London Motorshow of 1959, but earlier in the year the prototype made an impressive competition debut in the hands of Stirling Moss in the International Trophy meeting at Silverstone. Moss took the victory in its class from a mediocre field. In the remainder of the season the DB4 GT proved fast and on pace with the less powerful long wheel base (LWB) Ferrari 250 GTs. Ferrari, however, were already working on a more powerful and short wheel base (SWB) version of the 250 GT.

Production started in all earnest in 1960 and at the end of the year many DB4 GTs were raced by privateers in Great Britain with considerable success. Although it was intended as a competition car, quite a few of the 74 DB4 GTs constructed were used as road cars. Unfortunately, on mainland Europe the DB4 GT was outclassed by the considerably lighter Ferrari 250 GT SWB. At LeMans in 1960, Aston Martin was humiliated with 250 GT SWBs taking the first five places in class.

Drastic measures were needed to bring the DB4 GT up to 250 GT pace. Aston Martin commissioned Italian coachbuilder Zagato to design and construct an even lighter body. Zagato had earned quite a reputation with their lightweight bodies, mostly fitted on competition Abarths and Alfa Romeos. Lighter and more powerful than ever, the DB4 GT Zagato was still not able to beat the Ferraris. The final DB4 GT constructed was fitted with a Bertone styled body and was shown at the 1961 Geneva and Turin Motorshows. The passing of the DB4 GT in 1963 meant the end of the factory competition effort.

Although the DB4 GT was not the success Aston Martin hoped for, it holds a special place in Aston Martin history. The rare Zagato bodied version is considered by many as one of the best looking cars ever constructed. Many DB4 GTs are still competed as seen in the image gallery above, with pictures taken at the 2002 LeMans Classic and Spa Six Hours and the 2003 Tour Auto. - Wouter Melissen

General specifications
    Record last updated...... Before 12 / 01 / 2004
    Country of origin........... Great Britain
    Years of production....... 1959 - 1963
    Introduced at............... 1959 London Motorshow
    Numbers built.............. 74
    Body design................. Touring

Engine
    Engine......................... twin-spark Straight 6
    Engine Location............ Front , longitudinally mounted
    Configuration............... alloy block and head
    Displacement............... 3.670 liter / 224 cu in
    Bore / Stroke............... 92.0 mm (3.6 in) / 92.0 mm (3.6 in)
    Compression ratio........ 9.0:1
    Valvetrain................... 2 valves / cylinder, DOHC
    Fuel feed.................... 3 Weber 45 DCOE4 Carburetors
    Aspiration................... Naturally Aspirated

Drivetrain
    Chassis/body.............. magnesium alloy body on steel platform chassis
    Front suspension......... unequal length wishbones, coil springs, telescopic dampers, anti-roll bar
    Rear suspension.......... live axle, coil springs, parallel trailing links, Watt linkage, double acting lever-arm shock absorbers
    Steering..................... rack-and-pinion
    Brakes....................... Girling discs, all-round
    Gearbox..................... David Brown 4 speed Manual
    Drive......................... Rear wheel drive

Dimensions
    Weight...................... 1265 kilo / 2788.8 lbs
    Length/Width/Height.. 4362 mm (171.7 in) / 1676 mm (66 in) / 1321 mm (52 in)
    Wheelbase/Track........ (fr/r) 2362 mm (93 in) / 1372 mm (54 in) / 1372 mm (54 in)

Performance figures
    Power........................ 302 bhp / 225 KW @ 6000 rpm
    Torque....................... 366 Nm / 270 ft lbs @ 5000 rpm
    BHP/Liter................... 82 bhp / liter
    Power to weight ratio.. 0.24 bhp / kg
    Top Speed................. 245 km/h / 152 mph
    0-60mph Acceleration. 6.4 s

More Pics here: Aston Martin DB4 GT UCP Database

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Another Aston beauty.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Aston Martin DB4 GT #2

Now that UCP decides to work again, here's the rest which I didn't get the chance to put up.

Aston Martin DB4 GT #3

Aston Martin DB4 GT #4

Much nicer than the Zagato version IMHO.
    Last edited by Coventrysucks; 02-01-2006 at 01:33 AM.
    Thanks for all the fish

Yep,

there's the original
    "It's better to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow"
    - ...?

Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

I gotta question on the color scheme on the Aston's. Both in the history as in the current racers you see the green (I believe it's called English Racing Green, so that's explained). But what with the red edge at the front? Is there any special meaning for that or is it just to distinguis the cars from eachother?
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    I But what with the red edge at the front? Is there any special meaning for that or is it just to distinguis the cars from eachother?
    yes...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    I gotta question on the color scheme on the Aston's. Both in the history as in the current racers you see the green (I believe it's called English Racing Green, so that's explained). But what with the red edge at the front? Is there any special meaning for that or is it just to distinguis the cars from eachother?
    As Pieter already said yes it was done for distinguishing two cars from the same team, and it was quite a common practice in the 50's sports car racing and even F1.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

And it's British Racing Green, or BRG.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    As Pieter already said yes it was done for distinguishing two cars from the same team, and it was quite a common practice in the 50's sports car racing and even F1.
    of course we all remember the different colours for the side mirrors of the Sauber-Mercedes cars...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    of course we all remember the different colours for the side mirrors of the Sauber-Mercedes cars...
    And even on the works DBR9s... Altough I was thinking more in terms of works Maserati 250Fs when I wrote my previous post.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information