Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Public Calling: To boost the reputation of users with under 20 reputation points!

A Public Calling: To boost the reputation of users with under 20 reputation points!

Just looking over the members list recently, I discovered that there were only a couple dozen members who can actually rate other users, and a few aren't even active. As of posting this, there are 3,256 members.

So, to those of us who can: Let's make a difference. Whenever you see a user under 20 points post something worthwhile, let them know how you feel, and bump them up a notch. Soon enough, we'll be rid of this exclusive club, and we'll have a few more of us in the fray

I'm not saying that we should rate just anybody, because obviously there are going to be a few idiots who just flat-out don't deserve it. I'm saying that there's quite good users out there who need a voice.

Start the revolution. Let's get to it!
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 03-02-2004 at 05:36 PM.

That sounds great Egg Nog, I've been trying hard to earn some points, I want to become a good member and well known in this forum. If you or some mod could check since when I have been in this web page's mailing list would be awesome, it's been many months since I visit this page, I'm a hardcore fan and from not long ago I became a forum member. I usually post pics and try to come up with original and good threads to grow up in this forum. I also give rep points many times but I'm under 20 so it doesn't work (I found that out like a week ago).

But well, good post and thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Let's make a difference. Whenever you see a user under 20 points post something worthwhile, let them know how you feel, and bump them up a notch. Soon enough, we'll be rid of this exclusive club, and we'll have a few more of us in the fray
    Start the revolution. Let's get to it!
    I don't usually go for 'positive discrimination'.
    If someone posts interesting, useful or funny I'll give them a rep point regardless of how many they have.
    Why isn't that working out ??
    Maybe it's just lethargy in folks not bothering to post points.
    Dont' we want to encourage more people to vote and not just more of the high-ranked folks ?
    Sorry I don't have a proposal how to achieve that whicih wouldnt' be taken advantage of
    So, you've the only proposed 'solution' on the table and I'm happy to give it a try.
    How will those on mid-range rank feel at new 'usurpers' overtaking them ?
    It doesn't bother me as I like to give the feedback rather than just the rep point.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    How will those on mid-range rank feel at new 'usurpers' overtaking them
    Well, presumably, they have already been able to get themselves to that point without anyone encouraging people to be proactive. If the cycle continues, they should continue to excel.

Keep in mind I'm not trying to be an advocate for blatant (pardon the language) reputation-whoring... I'm just calling to encourage those of us who can to support the handful of deserving people under 20 rep. points when they otherwise (for whatever reason) might not. Once they reach that point, they're "on their own", so to speak, but until then, they deserve a voice.

Thanks for the support

let me just say straight off the bat i never liked the reputation system, too fussy and to open to interpretation, if i say something someone doesn't like i could lose any number of reputation points, silly boys/girls/idiots with something to prove can wipe me out within the night. I never look at someones reputation before questioning them on certain issues. i find it pointless, too easy to unsurp and a poor reward system.

now, i do agree that the handful of people who have something decent to say, but only under 20 rep points to do it need a leg-up, as it were, but even then that will only bring the number of people ranking others to about 25-30. we would do better to try and eradicate people who are inactive, or do not make a post on the site for more than 6-months. that way we get a level playing field as people who are actually intrested, rather than just people signing on so that they can access mat's pictures or the TG videos.

i guess theres no stopping you Egg Nog, so i'll be in behind you, but just to let you know there must be a better way.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    let me just say straight off the bat i never liked the reputation system, too fussy and to open to interpretation, if i say something someone doesn't like i could lose any number of reputation points, silly boys/girls/idiots with something to prove can wipe me out within t
    Don't Worry, silly boys/girls/idiots never make it over 20 points only people who actually cares about the forum and respects other people's opinions do.
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 03-02-2004 at 09:57 PM.

are you sure? even R34_296 managed to score a few rep points before his demise, some people listen to what they have to say, and some ven agree, and give them a +1, like i said thought. never liked the system.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

i'll say it again . never used it and probably never will .. i don;t think a forum needs reputation and stuff .. and i don;t need stimulation with reputation points to post interesting stuffs . and no one should...
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

As I've said before, I'm not really a fan of the system either. I don't even know if this was such a good idea, but at least it could work a little with the system in place.

The most ideal solution would be to abolish the system. We tried it, it didn't really work, so let's get rid of it. I'm all in favour of that...

I dont think it should be taken too seriously. It can be a bit of fun and as I have said previously, a way of getting some members to tow the line. I beleive it has contributed in a small way to the overall quality of this site. R34_296 may have got some points from equally misguided persons however I dont think that sort of thing has much of a lifespan. I know Ive got over 50 and it may sound as if I want to maintain it for that reason but in fact I find it a little embarrasing as I believe there are people who make better posts than I. If it is dropped, I dont really care but I do enjoy the interaction it generates and it is just one more thing that makes this site interesting. I dish em out, good or bad anyway so in a way I am on Egg Nogs mission already. I do find it somewhat vexing when I am restricted from giving people points until I "spread the love" a little. I would say there would be a couple more over 50 if that hadnt been the case.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

I say keep it because it gives new users a guide as in who to trust and who to not trust. Just give it to who deserves it and take it away from people who do not deserve it. The whole reputation system seems like a good idea to me if used properly.

R34 probably got most of his points from when the system gave out 10 times as much points as it does now. im trying to get more active in the game of rep points as im able to give out 4 points per rating.
    I am the Stig

I'm in favor of boosting ratings up to the 20 point mark and if they reach that point I would expect them to continue if not improve their post quality. What I mean is they should genuinely earn their points and strive to keep that rating.

On a side note I think all ratings should be worth only 1 point, I don't think the value of your opinion should be based on how many posts you have made.

Why is my rep only 8.
    What am i doing wrong?
    I try to not affend any one,and try to give my best opinions.
    Why does no one like me

I'm a newbie here at this forum and the reason I'm here is because I love cars! I don't really care about how many points I have but I do care about how I behave

I am with Spastik & Matra. We are here (at least I am) because we all love cars and that we want to share our "love" with one another.

Just my $0.02.

Thread Information