Thread: Camera help wanted.

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally

Camera help wanted.

Right, I don't have much time so I'll jump straight to the point. Some will know I have a Sony DSC-W7 that I bought off my cousin for a very big bargain after she came from the US, used it for a few days ONLY and decided she wanted a thinner one (girls will be girls). She didn't even use it that much, just propping it on Auto mode and flash, and taking pics, that's ALL. Now this was at about the beginning of January. Basically for me it's been a whole month and 6 days of heavy duty awesome photo taking, which I know the camera can handle.

BUT about three days ago I switched it on and it said "Switch off and on again", so I did that and everything went fine, and I forgot about it. Lo and behold last night it was being a real pain, telling me to do the same for about twenty times when I was just about to capture a beautiful wheel. After those twenty times it started working OK again, but I now have one big problem on my hands: the lens shutter won't close. At all. The lens will close into the camera, the aperture will shut itself, but the shutter covering the lens just won't close. Whatever I do. Either put it on "picture preview" mode and let it close by itself to save energy, or just simply switch it off, it won't do. This is worrying me as if it's not working then I'll have to send it back all the way to the States.

Does anybody have any solutions or might know what the problem is?

Send it back the lens has a problem.

Had this with the first Kodak ... They replaced it with a later model as it was a "known problem".

Either the camera was switched on with something preventing the lens opening at some time or something has got into the lens assembly. The uP was recognising that the lens motor was meeting an obstruction each time it was giving you the error message. It's either burnt out one of the motors or (more likely) stripped a gear/broken a pivot or the crud has gotten deep in the mechanism.

Rather than stripping it and trying to blow it clean with an air gun ( would void warranty ) then you have to send it for repair. Local Sony repair centre should be able to help as warranty is usually world-wide. Call them.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Any tacks on how long it'll take to possibly repair and/or replace?

Probably not a camera fault as no reviews I've read have mentioned anything about the lens cover, good and especially bad ones.

That's aquestino the Sony repair centre are able to provide.

NOBODY spends time doing warranty repairs any more as it costs too much. If they can't do it in a simple swap out then it will be a replacement camera.
    Shipping and handling time will far exceed shop time

As said first time around --- call Sony Centre !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

That's unlucky mate... Hope you get it fixed!
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

i have the same problem, but the damn lens dosent come out!!

Fuji A345, sont buy one!

Thread Information