Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ram Air

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    At legal speeds its best asset is that it acts as a cold-air induction (unless it has a valve to block it off according to engine vacuum)...above ~60mph the air pressure starts to create a sort of low-level supercharger effect.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123
    At legal speeds its best asset is that it acts as a cold-air induction (unless it has a valve to block it off according to engine vacuum)...above ~60mph the air pressure starts to create a sort of low-level supercharger effect.
    Long time no see .. how was the location change?

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    On the mach1 if you add a bigger cold air intake you pick up about 20hp it just helps because cold air is ramed into the shakerhood.
    thats the same set up i have on my 99 (mach 1 shaker scoop ram air) doesnt help too much but it does a little and damn does it ever look cool.

the 70 GT500 has ram air too. supposedly the ram air 428's made quite a bit more power than the non ram airs but the scoop for it it is tiny. its pretty much just a hole in the hood.

my friend has an 02 WS6 trans am, which has ram air. that one is sposed to add quite a bit of power at around 45 mph. its got some big ol scoops on the hood and go straight into the intake pretty much. that one seems like a real good set up.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs
    thats the same set up i have on my 99 (mach 1 shaker scoop ram air) doesnt help too much but it does a little and damn does it ever look cool.

the 70 GT500 has ram air too. supposedly the ram air 428's made quite a bit more power than the non ram airs but the scoop for it it is tiny. its pretty much just a hole in the hood.

my friend has an 02 WS6 trans am, which has ram air. that one is sposed to add quite a bit of power at around 45 mph. its got some big ol scoops on the hood and go straight into the intake pretty much. that one seems like a real good set up.
    Could you possably post a picture of your shaker hood ive never seen one on a GT before. Did you buy it aftermarket or what? The 02 WS6 is one of my fav cars right now and it is true about the big scoops. Could they possably hold the front end of the car down at higher speeds?
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Long time no see .. how was the location change?
    Long and arduous. We still aren't really finished, although we're finally getting the rest of our stuff here next weekend (it's been about 9 months...yikes). But we have the house more or less furnished, I've started school, and we've started to re-do the fences (there's over a mile of them around our property, and all of it needs to get replaced...*sigh*)
    Last edited by jcp123; 02-08-2006 at 08:02 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

One interesting question though, how do you justify the gain of Ram air on a Dyno, when the car is sitting still.....unless you dyno in a windtunnel or something...

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac
    One interesting question though, how do you justify the gain of Ram air on a Dyno, when the car is sitting still.....unless you dyno in a windtunnel or something...
    Depends what you're comapring.
    if it's ram air to a stock header then usually ram air systems ahve higher flow rates. So that provdes improvement at all speeds.
    SOME dynos will run with BIG hi-speed fans to try to (a) get the cooling sorted and (b) increase the air-flow to closer to what road run will encounter.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    Could you possably post a picture of your shaker hood ive never seen one on a GT before. Did you buy it aftermarket or what? The 02 WS6 is one of my fav cars right now and it is true about the big scoops. Could they possably hold the front end of the car down at higher speeds?
    sure thing...here it is...sorry about the low quality its the only picture i have right now. yes its aftermarket. its sold by CDC at www.classicdesignconcepts.com they have more pictures on there i am sure.

if you like WS6's you should see my friends. its an 02 collectors edition. what makes it really valuable tho is that it was the FIRST T/A made in 02 with t-tops, and i believe 4th or 5th off the line for all T/A's that year. it was an official pace car featured at the daytona 500 i think and it one of 3 that had that job and one of those cars has since been totalled making it a 1 of 2 car. its beautiful yellow with the black rims like all collectors editions have. all leather interior fully loaded. its got graphics on the sides from the race it was at. its a real slick car. ive got to drive it a couple times...for being completley stock its very quick. oh and he is the original owner too.

edit- i forgot i have another picture of under the hood thats higher quality so you can see the scoop better...added it in there
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Juggs; 02-11-2006 at 03:06 PM.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Thread Information