Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M3 and Skyline engines

M3 and Skyline engines

The M3 and Skyline both have an Inline 6 engine, that's what the websites say. I really don't know what Inline 6 means but that's what they say but I know it's capable of a lot of power. The most power output out of an M3 that I saw was 450bhp with turbo and possible to go to 550 with more boost, that's what I heard. The most I saw out of the Skyline is over 1000bhp.
    I have 3 questions.

Since they both have the same engine or the same engine design why isn't the M3 capable of more power?

Why do people supercharge an M3 instead of turbo charging? Is it because it's more reliable or does the M3 engine not like turbo?

What is the most power output ever recorded out of a street legal 1999 M3 and the newer one?
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6FBCAADF-B7CB-432C-B938-01EB06BD83CE.htm

inline 6, same layout as your normal inline 4 jsut with two extra cylinders.

Likely reason for the differences is the Nissan block will be heavier and stronger and thus capable of takign higher compression thus getting more power.

"Ricers" play "Fast and Furious" fanboys cars with the Skyline. The BMW traditionally was tuned for race conditions.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

www.howstuffworks.com search for engines & turbo/superchargers and start learning how an engine works.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne
    www.howstuffworks.com search for engines & turbo/superchargers and start learning how an engine works.
    yeah, that website is really kickass... wikipedia.org has lots of interesting info as well
    "It's better to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow"
    - ...?

can't forget the Toyota Supra with its 2JZ 3.0 I6 engine that also pops out 1000 if done right. but since the skyline and supra come turboed they're made stronger. M3 is made to rev high. its made for high compression ratio. others are made for boost. its like an Evo 4 banger vs a honda 4 banger.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

So the M3 has a weaker, lighter engine block because the car is made to turn corners on a track while the Skyline and the Supra are "drag" cars.

The Skyline can also take corners fast if tuned right if not faster than a tuned M3. So why would someone chose an M3 over a Skyline for the track? This is a Skyline here on a track. Looks faster than any M3 I've seen. http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...1358852BEC.htm

I love both cars, I'm not biased to one or the other.
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6FBCAADF-B7CB-432C-B938-01EB06BD83CE.htm

Quote Originally Posted by QBridge
    So the M3 has a weaker, lighter engine block because the car is made to turn corners on a track while the Skyline and the Supra are "drag" cars.

The Skyline can also take corners fast if tuned right if not faster than a tuned M3. So why would someone chose an M3 over a Skyline for the track? This is a Skyline here on a track. Looks faster than any M3 I've seen. http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...1358852BEC.htm

there are thousands of variables that contribute to potential power output, handling, strait line performance, and overall performance

there's no reason why an M3 engine can't make 1000hp, its just the number of modifications to strengthen the block, crank, pistons, lower compression and boost needed would be more then what's needed with a skyline or supra engine, as these engines already have alot of the strength required for such applications and little modification is needed to strengthen the motor

you have to know that even though both skyline and M3 engines have the same configuration that they're 2 drastically different machines with different doctrines of engineering applied to them during design

one final word ... an NSX-R will obliterate both skyline and M3 without breaking a sweat

Quote Originally Posted by QBridge
    a connection I did NOT say
    The Skyline and Supra blocks have been PROVEN to be exceptionally strogn and capable fo increased compression and torque/power stresses.
    The BMW block is a known light block.
    The INFERENCE i offered was that these were the possible reasons you saw the end results of tuning.
    THere's a difference, just clarifying they are "inference" -- NOT KNOWN FACTS.

You can't compare two videos and two examples to make a conclusion about an ENGINE or even a chassis.
    You can only do so if you compare them in equal formula regulations in equal trim for the same circuit. THEN it can be as cut and dried. The Skylines AWD system will be advatageous on some circuits and the excessive weight of that drivetrain will be a drawback on others.

I don't doubt the Skyline would win in any open format, for the reasosn stated before about the excellent engineering of the original car. Would it win under European or British saloon car racing formula ? Not a chance !

I love the skyline for it's capability in the same way I always liked Bentleys and muscle cars. Putting even more power and technology in to make up for the drawbacks of those items. The classic M3 for it's finesse of balance of engineering. No part is out of place or exceeds that necessary.

The fact that a tuner can make a faster version of a car I tend to avoid because in theory with enough investment you could get excessive powers from any engine layout and "manufacturer". For me it's a so-what argument

If you're wanting to compare tuned Skylines and tuned M3s then the Skyline wins BECAUSE of the vast investment in the Japaness after-market to tune theses things to the limits. Something the M3 doesn't benefit from.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    one final word ... an NSX-R will obliterate both skyline and M3 without breaking a sweat
    thats nice
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    thats nice
    i just had to say it

i just had to say it
    And well said it was... but obviously trying to follow an Elise
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

NSX is dead, get over it.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

If only that were the case...http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/powerlaps/index.shtml

Yes, I know the bone stock M3 finished beind the NSX-Type R but keep im mind, the NSX-R is way more money, Is not practical on the street, Is only 2 tenths of a second faster. If your going to compare the NSX-R to an M3, atleast compare it to the spiced-up M3CSL. (Which kicked the shit out of the NSX)
    Last edited by M3GTR33; 02-09-2006 at 05:12 PM.
    NASCAR = REDNECK

The current E46 M3 engine isn't as strong as the Skyline RB26 or Supra 2JZ because it is an aluminum bock/ aluminum head engine which is inherantly weaker. But the Supra hasn't been made in 8 years and the Skyline with the RB26 hasn't been made in 5 years. So to compare these cars realistically, you'll have to consider the E36 M3 which did have a iron block/ aluminum head engine like the Japanese cars. Here's an E36 M3 with ~1,100 bhp. The M3 actually has greater power potential than either of the Japanese car since the M3 is 3.2 liters in displacement versus 2.6L in the Skyline and 3.0L in the Supra.

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    PBB thank you, i was going to say everyone just answered and no one bothered looking, just cause the guy couldn't find a 1000 hp M3 doesn't mean it didn't exist even though everyone seemed to assume he was right..so the tip of the day, do some bloody reaserch b4 answering
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

Thread Information