Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porsche 989 Concept 1988

Porsche 989 Concept 1988

Porsche 989 Concept

This is all I've got.

Taken from Wikipedia:
    989 is the internal Porsche project number for a four-dour luxury sports sedan that never went into production.
    Type 989 development was initiated in 1988, and was overseen by Dr. Ulrich Bez, who was also responsible for the 993 series.
    The platform for the 989 was front-engine, rear-drive, with a wheelbase of 2826 mm.
    A new 80-degree, water cooled V8 engine with a displacement of 3.6 liters and a power output of at least 300 bhp at 7000 rpm was developed. (Various sources cite different engine displacements. According to Autoweek, the 989 V8 engine was to be all-aluminum, displacing 4.2 liters.)
    The prototype was designed by Harm Lagaay, the result foreshadowing the lines of later models such as the 968, 993 and 996. Specific design influences to later Porsche models include the control-arm suspension, which would later be used on the 993, as well as the headlight and tail-light designs which were obviously adapted for the 996. (Autoweek)
    After Ulrich Bez left Porsche AG in September 1991, the project lost momentum, and in January 1992, development of the 989 was halted. Although Porsche officials initially claimed that the only prototype was destroyed, they now contend that it still remains in storage. A rear-view photograph of the prototype (silver color, 17 inch Cup II wheels, unregistered licence plate BB-PW 989) is published in the German classic car magazine Motor Klassik, No. 4/2003, p. 28.
    The Porsche Panamera, due in 2009, can be considered as the successor of the 989 project.

If you have any high-res shots please post them. This image is slightly below 1024*768, but it'll have to do until somebody posts more.

EDIT: My 200th thread . Enjoy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vaigra; 02-15-2006 at 02:27 PM.
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Porsche 989 Concept #2

(still slightly below 1024*768 )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

The magnum opus on Porsche: Excellence was expected, by Karl Ludvigsen gives a bit more, including a pic of BB-PW989, according to Bez to the Learjey for the Road.

There were tow competing designs, one by Giugiaro and one by Harm Lagaay, who had just taken over the styling department. His was the design of the car shown. Bez: Piech and I spent half an hour in the studio alone with a model of Lagaay's design and could not find enything wrong with it.

The new engine was a 3.6 all-alloy V8, DOHC, weighing 419 pounds
    engine size could be stretched to 4200 cc, giving 344 in stead of 300 BHP (after the 989 was axed Porsche tried to sell the engine to others, but nobody wanted it).

Development of the car was done by using a Mercedes 300CE body fitted with engine, powertrain and suspension of the 989.

The cancellation of the project in January 1992 was mainly based on the horrendous cost overrun already experienced and the uncertain market chances of the car.

Ludvigsen does not mention whether the prototype still exists, but he quotes Wiedeking: We tried to something of the project (i.e. selling the engines) but we failed so we scrapped everything.
    Whether he meant this literally is unclear.

What was certain is that the project created a lot of antagonism within Porsche, with blames mostly going to Bez and Arno Bohn, who became Porsche MD in March 1990.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Guest Guest
    hmmmm, just looks like a stetched 911, oh wait, thats what it is, at least the rapide managed to keep the DB9 syle, this just lookes like a 928 had some sick affair with a 911 and then mutilated the child!

it looks stupid, porsche should not make a sedan..
    Walk down the river

- Cause the river dont run...

Quote Originally Posted by HondaNSX
    it looks stupid, porsche should not make a sedan..
    or a SUV?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    or a SUV?
    Especially not since it's only their best selling model and Porsche defintely can't use the additional capital to invest in developing new sports models.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    or a SUV?
    I think it's for Porsche one of the best desicions ever. They made some big money and can now invest in new cars and other development.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    I think it's for Porsche one of the best desicions ever. They made some big money and can now invest in new cars and other development.
    Maserati is currently being kept afloat by the QP

man that thing is UGLY

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    man that thing is UGLY
    I second that.

Good thing they never sold that ugly pile.

It is a concept...not many concepts look nice but I really think the idea of a 4-door Porsche is bad. It just doesn't feel right but then again, I can't wait to see what design they come up with.
    "To control 800 horsepower relying just on arm muscles and foot sensitivity can turn out to be a dangerous exercise."
    Michael Schumacher

not feelin it

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf03
    It is a concept...not many concepts look nice but I really think the idea of a 4-door Porsche is bad. It just doesn't feel right but then again, I can't wait to see what design they come up with.
    it was not a concept, it was really being prepared for serious production, but economic circumstances prevented that.

Thread Information