Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Vista

Microsoft Vista

I don't know if it's out yet but it looks cool . MS are thinking about bringing out a new OS called Windows Vista, good for multimedea freaks apparently. Sounds good lol . Heres a link: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/
    <-- (Basil the cat doesn't mind it. But generally runs away when it comes to windows)
    Last edited by hercmostar; 02-12-2006 at 09:08 PM.

I believe it will serve as a step above Windows XP media centre edition

I like that external memory device thing, thats real ingenuity! Instant performance upgrade!

Vista is Microsoft's all-new XP replacement, apparently it's the biggest change Windows has gone through since the jump from 95 to 98, or something like that. http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/...a_beta1_01.asp is a good review of the current beta.

It seems they've borrowed a few concepts from Apple, but overall I like what I've seen so far. Definitely a lot nicer looking, let's just hope the security has been beefed up enough.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Better yet: write your own review.

I'm not gonna bother to get it until it's in its final phase.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

You'll have to get this if you wanna play Halo 2 on PC

I erm, *cough* aquired a Longhorn beta.

Was uninstalled within 20 minutes, im back to MCE now.

I found the layout really crappy, with no taskbar at the bottom, and a big ass blob on the right hand side of the desktop, with a clock, and a taskbar. It just looks so out of place. Then there arte all the damn bugs...

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin
    It seems they've borrowed a few concepts from Apple, but overall I like what I've seen so far. Definitely a lot nicer looking, let's just hope the security has been beefed up enough.
    If Apple is meant to be inferior, why's that then?

Every new version of Windows looks more and more like the OS I use.

I think I'll stick to my PowerBook after using the Windows at college.

Quote Originally Posted by adamfraser
    I erm, *cough* aquired a Longhorn beta.

Was uninstalled within 20 minutes, im back to MCE now.

I found the layout really crappy, with no taskbar at the bottom, and a big ass blob on the right hand side of the desktop, with a clock, and a taskbar. It just looks so out of place. Then there arte all the damn bugs...
    Longhorn was a release for develoeprs to start testing their drivers, applications and review for roll-out.

It was NOT meant for general release and anyone taking an MS Beta should read teh EULA VERY CARFEULLY. MS tell you up front what is and isnt' included and the MSDN gives a support environment for legitimate testers.

usign it in any comparison woudl be like taking the bare chassis mule for a new engine and usign it to judge the seats and interior of the final intended car

BTW it DOES have a taskbar at the bottom, so dont' know what you were running But jsut liek Media Centre it has a "dumbed down" interface for home appliance use - I'll never touch it and usually show users how to NOT use Media Centre and still use their computer
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 02-13-2006 at 04:18 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    You'll have to get this if you wanna play Halo 2 on PC
    Classic Gates manipulation of a "free market"

MS are assisting in the port of Halo2 to the PC.
    So what does an OS need to increase it's sales ?
    A "must have" and no amount of glossing up / dumbing down a UI will convince users to do that !!
    Halo2 was written to run on a 700MHz Celeron on DirectX8.
    LOTS of games are written and run exceptionally well on XP.
    So, by inference, MS are tying Halo2 to Vista to ensure sales of Vista to the kiddies for Christmas !!!!

hmmm, jsut wait till the EU competition commision reviews this one nearer the time Coudl lead to an even BIGGER fine than the previous record one of $600M in 2004
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

And of course this will work. Honestly I don't have a problem with it, microsoft are just trying to be successful in what they do and it works... isn't that the goal of thriving in the business world. I don't understand the fines, its stupid.. its like punishment for being successful.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

And of course this will work. Honestly I don't have a problem with it, microsoft are just trying to be successful in what they do and it works... isn't that the goal of thriving in the business world. I don't understand the fines, its stupid.. its like punishment for being successful.
    NO.
    It's punishment for being a monopoly.
    Every Stock market in the world has rules that attemtp to curb the excesses of a monopolistic venture.
    Gates has been called on it in the US a few times adn as far as I remember they all backed down.

For the same reasons cartels are banned too.
    "Free" business needs to also be FAIR business

Guest Guest
    Vista is Microsoft's all-new XP replacement, apparently it's the biggest change Windows has gone through since the jump from 95 to 98, or something like that. http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/...a_beta1_01.asp is a good review of the current beta.
    after the 95 they were going to make a second edition of it called 95B, however development went slowly, and the expected release date was 96, then more slow development meant an ETA of 97, eventually it came out in 98, yes thats right, 98 is 95 with a few minor bugfixes!

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    NO.
    It's punishment for being a monopoly.
    Every Stock market in the world has rules that attemtp to curb the excesses of a monopolistic venture.
    Gates has been called on it in the US a few times adn as far as I remember they all backed down.

For the same reasons cartels are banned too.
    "Free" business needs to also be FAIR business
    And still MS have earned their money (through Windows) pretty much off Apple's back seeing as they "copied" the "Look and feel"* of Mac OS.

*In the words used in the original court case. Apple need to keep trying!

Vista is just a repeat of this (AGAIN!!!) copying Tiger's features.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey
    And still MS have earned their money (through Windows) pretty much off Apple's back seeing as they "copied" the "Look and feel"* of Mac OS.
    no, let's stop this cointinuing in the "young minds".

Point and click interfaces were designed at Rank Xerox research centre - Xerox Parc.

EVERY mouse driven interfaces since then is a copy of THAT.

It's the reason why NOBODY has been able to fight patent ownership on windows/Apple look-and-feel and only can go for trademark points.

Some folsk will cite the 95 Apple patent - commonly called the '540 patent - but it has been turned down in court AND appeal and frankly shoudl never have been granted if the patent inspector had actually done his job and investigated the actual prior art in teh industry

*In the words used in the original court case. Apple need to keep trying!

Vista is just a repeat of this (AGAIN!!!) copying Tiger's features.
    Which "features" do you think it's copying ?
    sidebars ?
    Media Centre ?
    Integrated dsitrubited media servers ?
    right-mouse-button usage ?? (oops)

Cite the court case where the said it was a copy ????????
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 02-13-2006 at 03:11 PM.

Thread Information