Thread: Alternate History- Would this have worked?

Alternate History- Would this have worked?

Picture this: At the height of the 1973 fuel crisis, when the US Big Three are suffering heavily from Japanese competition, a new contender for the US market appears. It offers the space of a domestic, with the economical 2-litre engine of an import. The styling is like nothing else. Yes, it's the Citroen DS.

Would it have caught on? Would it have saved Citroen? If not, why not?
    UCP's second biggest classic-car fan. Representing the 1% of kids who love REAL cars : the classics

UCP mac user #3

TN55- latte-drinking, sushi-eating, Volvo-driving liberal extraordinaire

Saved Citroen?
    Thanks for all the fish

it would certainly have made a bigger chance.However,americans,buy american and thats all there is to say really...

I was never aware that Citroen died?

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    I was never aware that Citroen died?
    well as tn hasn't put his location in !!!!!!!!!!!! then we are second guessing and I vote the USA and so little will be known how succesful Citroen have been in the years since they stopped trying to sell in teh US.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I doubt it. The other economical crisis would have caught up to it in 1990, and it would already have to start importing Renault's and Peugot's. It wouldn't have stood a chance. And 15 years wouldn't have been enough to keep it on it's feet.
    The ability for outward expression is dependent on substance...

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    it would certainly have made a bigger chance.However,americans,buy american and thats all there is to say really...

This isnt really entirely true, it would have been more true then but i think that the growth of foreign cars in the american market shows people cant ignore a good product at a good price (and i would think even more so in a time of crisis such as the fuel crisis). I dont know where you got that.
    Last edited by scottie300z; 02-14-2006 at 08:36 AM.
    You can call me scott.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie300z
    This isnt really entirely true, it would have been more true then but i think that the growth of foreign cars in the american market shows people cant ignore a good product at a good price (and i would think even more so in a time of crisis such as the fuel crisis). I dont know where you got that.
    I agree. To say americans only buy american is false, there are definitely those kinds of people out there who will only ever buy american cars but most american's do not buy only american cars.

most American's buy American cars because US Car companies make cars that most Americans want/need

I was under the impression the DS was available in the US at the time refering to one of the articles Fleet scanned... oh well.

Anyway, I don't think the DS would've made such a big difference on it's own.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Thread Information