Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford Thunderbird (11th gen) 2002–2005

Ford Thunderbird (11th gen) 2002–2005

Eleventh generation (2002–2005)

After being on hiatus for several years, Ford introduced a new Thunderbird for 2002. Returning to the original formula for the Thunderbird, the latest version had a two-seat coupe/convertible layout like the first-generation Thunderbird and retrofuturistic styling to match. The eleventh generation Thunderbird was built at Ford's Wixom Assembly Plant and was based on the company's DEW98 platform, which was shared with the Lincoln LS and Jaguar S-Type. Though the Thunderbird's exterior styling was very much unique relative to its platform mates, the interior, particularly the appearance of the dash area, instrument panel, and steering wheel, was very similar to that of the Lincoln LS. The sole engine of the Thunderbird was a Jaguar-designed AJ-30 3.9 L DOHC V8, a short-stroke (85mm) variant of the Jaguar AJ-26 4.0 L V8, making 252 horsepower (188 kW) and 267 lb·ft (362 N·m) of torque. The engine was mated to Ford's 5R55N 5-speed automatic transmission. The AJ-30 V8 was replaced by the AJ-35 in 2003 and later Thunderbirds, bringing with it variable valve timing (VVT) and electronic throttle control (ETC) as well as 280 horsepower (210 kW) and 286 lb·ft (388 N·m) of torque. Complementing the extra power and torque provided by the AJ-35 V8, a manual shift feature for the 5-speed automatic called SelectShift was available as an option in 2003 and later Thunderbirds. With sales dropping off significantly after its first model year, Ford decided to make the 2005 model year the Thunderbird's last with no scheduled successor.

The last one rolled off the assembly line on July 1, 2005

Year /Production
    2002 31,121
    2003 14,506
    2004 12,671
    2005 9,220
    Total 67,518
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duell; 10-15-2012 at 11:49 PM.
    Le seul chemin vers la réussite est la persévérance et l'amour de ce que l'on fait... "Mr_Excel"

I really dilike this car, its ugly, but hey my family has a Fiat Multipla.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

i hate it

from the first time that i saw this car i have hated it more than any other car. its too ugly. i dont know what ford were thinking when they released this wierd crap on wheels. the thunderbird & the new mustang are fords ugliest cars ever.

I'm a huge fan of retro styling, but this is just plain ugly.
    Cheers,
    -Ads

"We used to come down, doing about 180mph. We take off over the bridge and change down to 4th gear in the air. Go through the righthander with the car drifting, and let it swing out through the lefthander and then slide out to the wall, where we simply stopped it with a flick of the wrists"
    -Vic Elford, on Maison Blanche in a Porsche 917

UCP's Most Hardcore Armchair BTCC Fan & Anthony Reid Supporter

Apparently you guys are not alone in that belief, the T-Bird hasn't sold very well and it's said it will be discontinued at the end of the 2005 model year.

It'll be well dead by that time!
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Ford Thunderbird (11th gen) 2002–2005

Ford Thunderbird 11th #2
    Last edited by Duell; 10-31-2012 at 02:38 PM.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Ford Thunderbird 11th #3
    Last edited by Duell; 10-31-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Ford Thunderbird 11th #4

Ford Thunderbird 11th #5

Ford Thunderbird 11th #6

Ford Thunderbird 11th #7

Ford Thunderbird 50th Anniversary Edition

(from Ford Press Release) Ford Thunderbird, a true American icon, celebrates its golden Anniversary with a special 50th Anniversary Thunderbird, limited-edition colors, and commemorative badge for all 2005 models. The 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Thunderbird will be unveiled to media attending the South Florida International Auto Show in Miami, FL.

Production of this special edition model with exclusive Cashmere color, which begins in January 2005, will be limited to 1,500 units.

"The 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Thunderbird builds upon the car's rich heritage - which began with the classic, two-seater 1955 model," said Steve Lyons, president of Ford Division. "This special edition adds to the emotional attachment that America has with Thunderbird, an attachment that has been 50 years in the making."

In addition to the 50th Anniversary Limited Edition, Ford is unveiling two surprise colors available on upcoming 2005 Thunderbirds: Inca Gold and Bronze. For 2005, all Thunderbirds feature a 50th Anniversary commemorative fender chevron.

Based on the top-of-the-line Thunderbird premium, the commemorative 50th Anniversary Thunderbird features a gorgeous Cashmere tri-coat metallic paint with matching removable top and Medium Light Stone cloth convertible top and soft boot. 16-spoke, 17-inch wheels with Cashmere accented hub ring match the Cashmere paint.

New coordinated Cashmere, Stone and Soft Gold interior packages include full leather Cashmere seats, and Cashmere trimmed lower instrument panel, floor console and door armrests. An understated Soft Gold tinted 50th Anniversary badge will be placed on the instrument panel, and 50th Anniversary insignias are embossed on the seatbacks. The scuff plates also are tinted Soft Gold. Each vehicle will feature a numbered commemorative plaque mounted on the inside of the glove box. The steering wheel and shift knob will be trimmed with high gloss Cashmere accents. Stone colored carpets with matching floor mats complete the interior.

"The 50th Anniversary special edition is very elegant and emphasizes the calm, cool and collectible nature that is Thunderbird," said Lyons.

Thunderbird Enthusiasts 'Drive-in' to Celebrate

Thunderbird enthusiasts will kick-off the Thunderbird's 50th birthday celebration at Homestead Miami Speedway on Nov. 17 in conjunction with a Ford Racing Innovation Drive. The Ford Racing Innovation Drive has been reaching consumers nationwide during a tour that features Ford's spectacular new 2005 model year vehicle line-up. Consumers as well as Thunderbird enthusiasts have been invited to attend the drive as it comes to Miami this November. After Thunderbird enthusiasts enjoy the hands-on experience of Ford's new product they will then be directed to the raceway's infield for a private Thunderbird Anniversary party.

Reflecting on 50 years of heritage for the Thunderbird, club members from across the country will enjoy a trip back to the boppin' fifties with the spirit of the classic hamburger stand and drive-in movie theater. Ford, will construct a unique drive-in theater at the race track and show one of the most famous movies to star the Ford Thunderbird - American Graffiti.

The 2005 Ford Thunderbird will have a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $37,605 and the special edition 50th Anniversary Thunderbird of $43,535, both without destination and delivery charges.

Ford Thunderbird went on sale Oct. 22, 1954 marking the birth of a new legend that would grow with each generation of Thunderbird cars. Previous special-edition Thunderbirds have proven highly desirable. In 2002, Ford offered 200 special-edition Thunderbird vehicles for sale through the exclusive Neiman Marcus Christmas Book. Those 200 cars sold out in two hours and 15 minutes and are considered highly prized collector's items.

In the spring of 2003, Ford sold 700 limited edition "007" Ford Thunderbirds to commemorate the first appearance of a Thunderbird in the 40-year history of the James Bond film franchise. A "007" Edition was driven in the Bond film Die Another Day by Academy Award-winning actress Halle Berry. One thousand Pacific Coast Roadster Thunderbirds were sold in 2004.

Ford Thunderbird 11th #9
    Last edited by Duell; 10-31-2012 at 02:41 PM.
    Fasten seat belt while seated

I think it's amazing that hey never addressed the stance of this car.
    Look at it in any angle and it always looks like the front end needs lowering by at least an inch.
    It's a pile.

Thread Information