Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No girls just my Z06.

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    Come on seriously get a cam, long tubes, corsa exhaust, and heads. Then you will have the car over 420whp. The LS1 really loves nitrous so hook some bottle to the car. Youll be so happy you modded it when you mash the pedal and run it threw the gears.
    It has a LS6. Why would I want to put a LS1 in it? As it is I'm going through tires and they aren't cheap. Don't get me wrong I love modded Vettes when they are done right and tastefully.
    I plan to keep it stock with it being a limited edition. A lot of my friends who have them have done major mods the their cars. I'm the only one that has kept it totally stock.
    Once you start modding it never stops. Most of my friends are mod addicts. It's always never enough with those guys.
    Last edited by Z06Nut; 02-20-2006 at 07:59 PM.
    WWW.TonyGPhotography.NET

What are your views on the current Z06? Do you like the design more or less the the C5 Z and would you ever trade yours in for a new Z or maybe the BD?

Quote Originally Posted by Z06Nut
    It has a LS6. Why would I want to put a LS1 in it? As it is I'm going through tires and they aren't cheap. Don't get me wrong I love modded Vettes when they are done right and tastefully.
    I plan to keep it stock with it being a limited edition. A lot of my friends who have them have done major mods the their cars. I'm the only one that has kept it totally stock.
    Once you start modding it never stops. Most of my friends are mod addicts. It's always never enough with those guys.
    Get some Michelin Pilot series tyres or some Pirelli Pzeros

Quote Originally Posted by Viper007
    What are your views on the current Z06? Do you like the design more or less the the C5 Z and would you ever trade yours in for a new Z or maybe the BD?
    I love the new Z06. The fit and finish is top notch. The power is incredible. If I could get a new Z I would but I can't right now. I really like the look of the hardtop with the smaller rear window. I was never too fond of hatch back window. Another issue is it's a new model. There are always problems the first couple of years. It'll be difficult to get rid of my first Vette especially when it was built on my daughter's birthday. I used to own a Monte Carlo Z34 years ago. It was a special order just for me. The dealer called me the day my daughter was born that it was ready to be picked up. She got to ride home in a brand my new car.
    WWW.TonyGPhotography.NET

I love the new Z06. The fit and finish is top notch. The power is incredible. If I could get a new Z I would but I can't right now. I really like the look of the hardtop with the smaller rear window. I was never too fond of hatch back window. Another issue is it's a new model. There are always problems the first couple of years. It'll be difficult to get rid of my first Vette especially when it was built on my daughter's birthday. I used to own a Monte Carlo Z34 years ago. It was a special order just for me. The dealer called me the day my daughter was born that it was ready to be picked up. She got to ride home in a brand my new car.
    Have Chevrolet build a new Z06 on your daughter's birthday

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    Have Chevrolet build a new Z06 on your daughter's birthday
    It's impossible to know exactly when a build order will accepted yet alone a build date. Some guys go over to the factory when there order comes up to be built that week. They will let them start it for the first time and put the fuel in it. Then they go across the street to pick it up off the National Corvette Museum's floor where it will be displayed. They'll do a full oriention on the car. When they are all done you ride out of the museum. This is the museum delivery package. It a really cool thing to do if you can fly up there. He's a video I made of my friends picking up there order.
    http://www.wrxfanatics.com/index.php...post&id=496549
    I made this video using the museum's web cams.
    WWW.TonyGPhotography.NET

Whats exactly the difference between the two engines? Isnt it just heads and cam?
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Whats exactly the difference between the two engines? Isnt it just heads and cam?
    There's just a few differences LOL You asked.

Aluminum Block

The aluminum block casting on the LS6 deletes machined holes in the LS1 bulkhead and adds cast-in "windows" that allow better bay-to-bay breathing. On the downstroke, the pistons push air back toward the crankcase, creating backpressure or resistance, and that translates into parasitic horsepower loss because it resists piston motion. With the overtravel windows, air is allowed to move more freely between crankcase bays, thus relieving the unwanted pressure.

New Pistons

LS6 pistons are cast from high-strength M142 aluminum alloy and reshaped with a slightly different profile than those in the LS1. In side view, the LS6 pistons have a slight barrel shape, almost imperceptible to the naked eye. The new alloy increases engine durability at racetrack operating levels, while the shape reduces internal mechanical noise.

Increased Compression

The LS6's aluminum cylinder heads are cast with pent-roof combustion chambers that are smaller than the LS1's. Compression ratio increases from 10.1:1 to 10.5:1, improving thermal efficiency and increasing horsepower. Intake and exhaust ports in the LS6 head are refined and more precisely cast, contributing to the engine's overall increase in volumetric efficiency.

High-Profile Camshaft

The LS6-specific, steel-billet camshaft contributes more than any other single piece of hardware to the LS6's horsepower gain. In simple terms, the cam opens the valves quicker and allows more air to flow into the combustion chambers. Cam lift increases from the LS1's 12.7mm to 13.3mm.

Stronger Valve Springs

To accommodate valve operation with the high lift/long duration cam, the LS6's valve springs are stiffer and sturdier. They are made from the same steel wire as those in the LS1 but are wound tighter for a higher spring rate.

Fuel Injectors

Additional air flowing into the LS6 heads would serve no purpose without an equivalent increase in the amount of fuel to take advantage of it. New injectors increase maximum fuel delivery from the LS1's 3.3 grams per second to 3.6 grams per seconds, for a 10 percent improvement.

Internal PCV System

The LS6's application in the Corvette Z06 creates additional demands on the crankcase ventilation system. The Z06 is capable of cornering at more than 1 lateral g, requiring a special high-performance ventilation system.

To prepare the Z06 for all-out driving, the LS6's PCV system is moved into the engine's V, or valley. The unique aluminum valley cover incorporates composite oil-separating baffles and PCV plumbing. All of this reduces oil consumption during high-performance driving and, as an added benefit, also reduces the amount of external plumbing, eliminating potential oil-leak sources.

Exhaust Manifolds

Thin-wall cast-iron exhaust manifolds replace the previous stainless steel manifolds to improve durability, given the LS6 engine's potential for being involved in sustained high-speed driving.

Exhaust System

To further maximize the breathing capabilities of the LS6 and significantly reduce vehicle mass, a new titanium exhaust system was developed for the Z06. This marks the first-ever use of titanium in the exhaust system of a mass-production vehicle. The titanium portion of the Z06's exhaust system starts just forward of the rear axle, then goes over the top of the axle to the muffler. The entire muffler, all of its internal parts and exterior skin, the outlet pipes, including the exhaust tips, are constructed of titanium.

The Z06 muffler is a completely new design featuring larger-diameter louver tubes inside the mufflers to reduce backpressure and provide less restriction for the exhaust gases flowing through the system. The exhaust tips are different too, with four 3.5-in.-dia. tips to visually set the Z06 apart from the standard Corvette.

Titanium offers a lower density than steel, and higher strength than either magnesium or aluminum at all temperatures. It reduces the Z06's weight by 17.6 pounds--a whopping 50 percent reduction compared to the weight of the stainless steel exhaust system used on the Corvette coupe and convertible. In addition to easing exhaust gas restrictions, reducing mass and looking distinctive, this exhaust system sounds more aggressive than that of the standard Corvette. Considerable time and effort went into the design and tuning of the mufflers to ensure an exhaust note that would be unique to the Z06.
    Last edited by Z06Nut; 02-21-2006 at 06:07 PM.
    WWW.TonyGPhotography.NET

In the simplest terms, yes, differences in the heads, cam and exhaust.

In-depth cylinder head comparison: http://corvettefever.com/techarticles/18479/

LS1 vs. LS6: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...06/ls1ls6.html

• Redesigned engine block includes quarter size slots cast into the webs underneath the travel area of the piston which reduces the amount of air the pistons pump resulting in higher rpm output.

• Redesigned positive crankcase ventilation system improves oil flow during high speed conditions.

• Redesigned air cleaner leading to reduced restriction and greater air intake.

• Redesigned camshaft profile which allows increased valve lift, therefore more air pulled into the combustion chamber which helps to increase power.

• New intake manifold and mass air flow sensor design allows more air intake.

• Higher rate valve springs and a new cylinder head design enhance the engine's breathing characteristics for increased rpm and performance.

• New cast iron exhaust manifolds are used in place of the stamped steel manifolds which improves the flow of exhaust gases. These manifolds connect to a new lightweight, titanium exhaust system which is the first ever to be used in a mass-produced automobile. This new exhaust system incorporates titanium exhaust pipes and mufflers that contain larger louver tubes which help to reduce back pressure and increase performance.

Many people put LS6 intakes on there F-bodys and regular C5's. My uncle put the Z06 head and cam in his C5 vert. I knew there was nothing major between the two engines.
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Come on we all know cars are funner when there faster. Are you not a big fan of modding cars?
    maybe when theyre busted to start off with. But when we're talking about a Z06, i dont think theres any need to be modding a car like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    maybe when theyre busted to start off with. But when we're talking about a Z06, i dont think theres any need to be modding a car like that.
    Unless your addicted to mods.
    Check this wanna be Z06 out.
    http://jayaramanmed.com/C6/corvette.html
    WWW.TonyGPhotography.NET

Thread Information