Thread: Ever got one of those "MSN will delete you" emails?

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally

Ever got one of those "MSN will delete you" emails?

Somewhat true ... take a look:

Microsoft is reportedly planning to start charging surfers for the improved services of its MSN internet portal.
    The site receives 200 million visits a month worldwide, and is the UK's most viewed website.

We will build extra services into MSN and start monetising this within a year

Neil Holloway
    Microsoft UK
    Microsoft's UK managing director told the Independent on Sunday that fees could be introduced within 12 months.

Any move by MSN to start fee-charging would pave the way for its competitors yahoo.com and aol.com to follow suit.

Consumer mindset

But it has yet to be proved whether the public likes the internet enough to actually spend hard-earned cash on it.

"The consumer mindset is that the internet is free," Rebecca Ulph at Forrester Research told the paper, while other analysts also express doubts that consumers will decide to make the transition to become paying subscribers.

It is clear that the online advertising won't generate enough revenue

Neil Holloway
    But Mr Holloway told the paper that he thinks people will be prepared to pay about £60 a year for extra services.

Microsoft stresses that the site's core facilities including Hotmail will remain free.

Fees will be demanded for extra services that are now under development, such as an advanced filter system to protect email accounts from junk mail.

Advertising blues

The need to start charging is becoming pressing because of an expected downturn in advertising revenue this year.

"It is clear that the online advertising and the click-through model alone won't generate enough revenues. We will build extra services into MSN and start monetising this within a year." said Mr Holloway.

MSN is already thought to be running at a loss at the moment, and an advertising squeeze this year would deepen losses.

Microsoft launched a $1bn programme to upgrade the portal in October, saying that it wanted MSN to become as well known as its Windows software.
    I'd pay for teh UCP subscription even but not for msn, it's the last thing you want to worry about after a tiring day when you want to talk to your mates.

Id move straight to GMail. And if i had to pay for that, erm, um,

Hope it isnt true, but then it is from the BBC.

And yea, i had all the spam

there are alot of these letters they all say the sorts of things mentioned in the first post... just SPAM
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Sorry shoulda mentioned it came from the BBC website

Originally I believed them...But they arnt true I am quite sure.
    I think if you have to pay for MSN, everyone will stop using it. I will
    All about the t-tops

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

I think you've missed the point.

If MSN starts charging for access to emails and the Messenger service they'll probably loose most customers to someone who offers the same srvice for free.

Can't people read? They said it was the WEBSITE they were going to charge for some advanced features, and that core parts of MSN like hotmail would remain free.

60 pounds seems like a ridiculous amount! Absolutely stupid. If it was maybe 10 pounds I expect nobody would mind too much, but 60 friggin pounds?! jeez..

Thread Information