Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holden Astra SRI Traction Control

Holden Astra SRI Traction Control

Hi guys im asking a question for a friend to save a bit of time....
    Basically we want to turn the traction control system off and don't know how. Weve done the obvious and looked for a fuse for it but there isnt one. Does anybody have any idea how to disable the traction control.
    Im thinking its programmed on the ecu of course and just wanted to ask if anybody knows how to switch it off
    Any help would be much appreciated !

Im judging there isnt a dash mounted switch, which puts it in the same boat as the old Barina SRi.

If you did find the fuse its likely its doubled up on the ABS, so you dont want to pull that.

Otherwise your choices seem to be through the ECU, or unless you do find a fuse, see if an electrician etc can check it over and fit a switch etc.

Thats all i can think of
    I am the Stig

what sort of traction control is it?
    does it fiddle with the engine or the brakes?
    If you can figure out what it does then I can tell you a way to disable it without damaging the car.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

It'd be through the ABS i'd say
    I am the Stig

could be both. can't it? but traction control is good to be able to turn on and off.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220
    could be both. can't it? but traction control is good to be able to turn on and off.
    Not in a powerful FWD in the hands of an idiot !!!
    The Saab 99 Turbo was wicked for going off road if an untrained driver floored it mid corner !!!!!
    Addition of lots of power in FWd mid corner == MASSIVE understeer ending in a little cross country or crash testign ARMCO
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Not in a powerful FWD in the hands of an idiot !!!
    The Saab 99 Turbo was wicked for going off road if an untrained driver floored it mid corner !!!!!
    Addition of lots of power in FWd mid corner == MASSIVE understeer ending in a little cross country or crash testign ARMCO
    On a similar note, though, traction control can cause havoc with any attempt to climb snowy/icey hills, or so I'm told. So imho, all TC fitted cars should have a switch of some sort, though I guess it's open to abuse and injury, like you say.

(On a side note, using an old saab turbo is pretty much the most extreme end of the scale possible, I'd say. Didn't they actually coin the term 'turbo lag' after the initial test drives in those? )

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    On a similar note, though, traction control can cause havoc with any attempt to climb snowy/icey hills, or so I'm told. So imho, all TC fitted cars should have a switch of some sort, though I guess it's open to abuse and injury, like you say.
    That's the reason for my fender bender. The traction control thought it was helping me while braking on ice, when in reality.. it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    (On a side note, using an old saab turbo is pretty much the most extreme end of the scale possible, I'd say. Didn't they actually coin the term 'turbo lag' after the initial test drives in those? )
    yes. It was HUGE and could spin up the tyres in third on the motorway when it came on
    Neighbour had one of the first and wanted to have them fit the EMS quick-ratio rack for better handling. He ended up having to go to the UK HQ to discuss with their technical expert on why he should NOT do it. They took him round the back of the depot and showed him THREE written of Turbos ( the car had been out for a couple of months ) !!! Advised him that making the rack require MORE force to control the torque steer was a bad idea. Alastair did get what he wanted tho' but it took some convincing
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

The Holden Astra isn't the same car as teh Vauxhall/Opel Astra is it?

Its exactly the same
    I am the Stig

That thing has Traction control?!! How old is it?

The traction control works by cutting out revs. its stops the car from revving when it detects slip. Its really F**ing annoying.. actually it has to be on the ecu because the accelerator is electronic too
    Any ideas hightower99 ?
    Last edited by KeRmIt; 02-26-2006 at 10:43 PM.

Well if it is in the computer then you need a system that can "read" what is in the computer (the software is what you are after) It should be a simple task of deleting some code but on the other hand it could be a major Beatch to do.

Also if you can figure out how the computer gets the info that the wheels are slipping? does it use a sensor or a mechanical link?

when you say the accelerator is electronic do you mean to say that it has a fly-by-wire throttle?

I would have guessed that if it cuts revs then it has something to do with the ignition system or the fuel system (or both) and not the throttle. If that is the case then you may have to get a stand alone ECU to take over the fuel and ignition control (An opportunity for gaining power)
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99
    Well if it is in the computer then you need a system that can "read" what is in the computer (the software is what you are after) It should be a simple task of deleting some code but on the other hand it could be a major Beatch to do.
    not how it's done.
    But the essence of needing to get INSIDE the ECU control gets the point over
    Also if you can figure out how the computer gets the info that the wheels are slipping? does it use a sensor or a mechanical link?
    Most modern cars will drop into "safe" mode when they find sensor faults.
    If youre' tempted to follow this advice make sure you do it in a way that can be restored
    I would have guessed that if it cuts revs then it has something to do with the ignition system or the fuel system (or both) and not the throttle. If that is the case then you may have to get a stand alone ECU to take over the fuel and ignition control (An opportunity for gaining power)
    Watch out you may also find that you lose dashboard controls and many functions as modern cars use the ECU for more than just the "engine". You have to "program" the Mini to tell it what switches are in the dash before it will let you do anything> A real bummer as you have to get the driving lights from BMW to get it "programmed"

Don't go messing with ECU functions on modern cars based on hearsay> Get it from a dealer or reputable tuner.

Thread Information