Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rolling runway

Airplane is being pushed by jet engine which is not connected with wheels, and it doesnt matter how fast wheels spin. DAMN it took me 15 minutes to solve that, now I can go sleep . Hope its a good answer.

edit: damn you werty... at least I know I was right
    Last edited by bartski; 03-02-2006 at 05:18 PM.

you did the wrong thing werty...but still, how could that happen? could the wheels handle spinning 2x as fast as theyre supposed to?
    Don't bother me, I'm probably working while posting...

UCP's biggest...oh man...i got nothin'

No, theres no air moving over the wings. The wings need air to lift, fast air moves over the wing and slower under the wing, causing lift.
    SPEED is the only option

<<<<<The Avatar is my Tattoo

Quote Originally Posted by some guy on a different forum
    OK guys, I'll out in my two cents worth. Before I do, allow me to lend a little credibility to this particular problem. I am an Adjunt Professor of Aeronautical Science at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and I have worked in the Aerospace world for over 30 years now.
    Those who state that the aircraft would take off are correct. It does not matter how fast the conveyor is moving at toward the rear of the aircraft as that has nothing whatsoever to do with the aircraft moving forward. What causes the aircraft's wings to produce lift is "Relative Wind". This is the airflow across the aircraft from the nose to the tail relative to the airspeed and direction of flight. The propeller or jet engine produces thrust which causes the aircraft to move forward, producing this relative wind. The ground and runway are only used to support the weight of the aircraft until there is enough airflow across the wing to overcome the weight of the plane.
    The propeller is a small wing that is causing an area of lift in front of it'self and in return pull the aircraft through the air. It does push some air behind it, but because of the spinning of the propeller, that airstream actually swirls around the fuselage of the plane. Therefore, the air being blown across the wings by the propeller and the lift created is negligable. Jet engines produce thrust by not only accelerating air through the exhaust nozzle, but by internal pressures in the front of the burner area, similar to a rocket engine. Modern jets of course are of the high-bypass type that have large fan sections that are much like a multi-bladed propeller. We see thes on modern airliners with the 3-meter plus diameter intake sections.
    I am thinking that those who think that the aircraft would not take off are thinking there is more friction drag between the tires of the aircraft and the runway than there actually is. The wheel bearings pretty much negate any axle friction and the contact patch area of the tires is fairly small, so there is virtually no rolling friction.
    So again, even if the runway were moving at twice the speed of the forward motion of the aircraft. It would still fly.
    I'm sorry to ruin the thread, but it was driving me insane, like somebody was scratching a black board with their nails.....uhhhhhhh
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

I saw it before so I'm going to wait a little before I answer...

Edit: that was before I saw werty's post
    Last edited by magracer; 03-02-2006 at 05:21 PM.
    Zag when they Zig

and wouldn't the air plane run out of runway? unless its the size of a normal reunway but that defeats the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEESE-TACULAR
    you did the wrong thing werty...but still, how could that happen? could the wheels handle spinning 2x as fast as theyre supposed to?
    That would be around 300mph, considering the load they can take and the speed planes land at they might.

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    That would be around 300mph, considering the load they can take and the speed planes land at they might.
    lets say its a Boeing 747 (everyone know what that is) and its fully loaded with the top floor and luggage and no one ate their peanuts yet.

so could all its wheels handle moving at a pace eqivalent to that of about 640mph?

This is truly one of the best idiot tests around.
    Any one who says the plane won't fly is an idiot.

no, engine would probably blow under such stress, no speed is gained
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

king, What stress?

yes it would take off, because the plane get acceleration force from the jet engine, not from the wheels... imagine pushing a toy car on a conveyor belt under the same condition...
    it's a different story if it's the wheels that's accelerating the plane

I am so going to make a conveyor belt runway one day.

i figure if you feed jelly into the engines they will be able to overcome all obstacles.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Guest Guest
    well, first answer was no, read the link, and although pretty much all of it went over my head, i now know it is possible!

Thread Information