Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New Layout

Quote Originally Posted by NoOne
    For me, the quality of the forums makes the vertical/horizontal layout immaterial.
    That said, I do prefer the old color scheme for the forums, but I really like this scheme for the balance of the site.
    an example of the vocal Majority
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I will reiterate my original post, from which you very selectively quoted and subsequently accused me of telling lies.

I hope you understood what I meant. The relevance of two threads dealing with the same subject is limited. If Eggnog will be in a position to post more regularly his opinion is more than welcome here. This is not a matter censorship in any way, it is just a matter of keeping discussions co-ordinated.

You may not know that Eggnog is currently travelling in South East Asia and that his access to computers is limited. I am sure that Eggnog will repeat his comments in this thread as soon as he is aware that it exists. Obviously you are not clever enough to understand that having the same discussion in two threads is very unproductive. PerfAd made the same points in the deleted thread as he made here, so nothing of the arguments has been lost.

It has been a very long time ago that somebody called me a liar, and I can tell that did no go down very well.
    That was, I can assure you Sir, summarization not "selective quotation." I do infact know that Egg Nog is travelling and it's the fact that he's not here to defend his comments being deleted is what has me incensed. As for having two threads, I agree completely, it's not productive. But deleting rather than closing or merging a dissident thread draws suspicion of unneccesary censorship. This suspicion is validated particularily in your phrase "so nothing of the arguements has been lost." What about Egg Nogs's viewpoint? You don't want to acknowledge anything but glowing praise. That would be censorship, no?

As for calling you a liar, I retract that statement.
    Liars are people who people don't say the truth while knowing otherwise and you have convinced me in your sincerity. But your hipocrisy in defense of these actions is on par with blatant lying.

-Matt

an example of the vocal Majority
    It is however through differing voices that we reach a consensus.
    Otherwise, what surfaces may be just be a result of a silent majority.
    NoOne pretty much summed up well.
    Nice, NoOne's representing the majority.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PBB
    That was, I can assure you Sir, summarization not "selective quotation." I do infact know that Egg Nog is travelling and it's the fact that he's not here to defend his comments being deleted is what has me incensed. As for having two threads, I agree completely, it's not productive. But deleting rather than closing or merging a dissident thread draws suspicion of unneccesary censorship. This suspicion is validated particularily in your phrase "so nothing of the arguements has been lost." What about Egg Nogs's viewpoint? You don't want to acknowledge anything but glowing praise. That would be censorship, no?

As for calling you a liar, I retract that statement.
    Liars are people who people don't say the truth while knowing otherwise and you have convinced me in your sincerity. But your hipocrisy in defense of these actions is on par with blatant lying.

-Matt
    no need to Sir me, these are not the US forces, and rest assured that as soon as Eggnog reports in again he will be asked to repeat his position in this thread. Do I have to understand your post in this way that I have been promoted from a liar to a blatant liar?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

No, hypocrite.

No, hypocrite.
    if you call trying to have a discussion in an origanised way, where all argument supported voices can and will be heard hypocrite, then be it.

if you call trying to have a discussion in an origanised way, where all argument supported voices can and will be heard hypocrite, then be it.
    Well, this has been like nailing Jello to a tree. All the evidence of your hipocrisy has already been presented and if you don't understand it, then be it.

I'm done.
    -Matt

I'm in agreement with NoOne, but it still doesn't make a difference... what boss wants, boss gets.

I'm coming in to add my approval of the new look, I don't find scrolling over the users name adds any noticeable time to my eye finding the start of the next message text after the end of the former one.

PBB: I fail to see how deleating a new thread in which it was expressed that the author did not search for an exsisting thread due to time constraints and added nothing (other than his, Egg Nog's, singular post) to an existing thread is hypocrtical.
    Last edited by Cyco; 03-13-2006 at 04:32 PM.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Ther eis only one colour issue with the site, but it's not a major one.

it's the layout as it breaks the eye from scanning effectively when spead reading/perusing. That makes reading more effort. That measn there may be times when memebers can't be bothered to come because subconsiously the effort is deemed too much. So missing the opportunity for input and more importantly the chances of ads beign seen and clicked-through
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree
    i don't see the point in argueing. the website is run by people who have put a lot of time and effort into making it how THEY want.

its fair enough to put feedback that you don't like it, but demanding that it be changed or extra features added is just wrong.

suppose someone came into your hosue and started moving round your stuff jbecasue they thought it looked better or demanded that you do it.
    Think of it in another way:
    You live in a small apartment. You really like the place for many reasons.
    One of which is that you have a really nice forest view, with pretty trees as far as the eye can see.
    Of course you don't own any of the forest, but you enjoy watching it.

One morning when looking out the window you notice the land owner has decided he wants his trees to be horizontal instead. Now what do you do?

Of course everyone with power can make anything under their control look like THEY want, but taking it too far may just perhaps lead to vacancies in the apartments.

Now what's that movie slogan again, "the people shouldn't be afraid of their leaders, the leaders should be afraid of their people"
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Unfortunately there is no possibility of a Forum Revolt. I guess the old adage comes in handy - If you don't like it there is always other parts of the internet.

But again if we're all that worried about what it looks like instead of post quality we'll be turning oursleves into my school - a Bunch of shallow idiots.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Pando
    One of which is that you have a really nice forest view, with pretty trees as far as the eye can see.

One morning when looking out the window you notice the land owner has decided he wants his trees to be horizontal instead. Now what do you do?

Of course everyone with power can make anything under their control look like THEY want, but taking it too far may just perhaps lead to vacancies in the apartments.

Now what's that movie slogan again, "the people shouldn't be afraid of their leaders, the leaders should be afraid of their people"
    as every analogy there are some flaws in this reasoning
    Firstly the forest owner will need a permit to cut those trees. The issuing of such permits is governed by institutions that (theoritically) are people controlled (I cannot cut a single tree in my garden without permission from the municipality).
    Secondly, what will replace the forest that has been removed? Also will it open a view on a beautiful lake, hidden before behind the trees?

Quote Originally Posted by Pando

Yeah I don't like vertical trees. That is so 2001.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

No, hypocrite.

It's a shame that you broke the low-profile you've managed to keep through almost 1500 posts in such undignified way.
    You could have kept this discussion without bringing it to the insult level.
    I may be an oldfashioned guy in some points. However, believe me, I don't respect people for being older or younger. I respect people who keep a respectable position on conversations or even discussions. And you may know as well as me, that Henk4 is, and always, was a polite, sincere and reasonable member (and I'm not trying to please him with this words since he knows me better than that). So, even if you were covered with reason, calling the men a hypocrite and a blatant liar, serves only the purpose of making a fool out of yourself, no matter your arguments.

I'm starting to think that being reasonable is probably getting out of fashion.
    This conversation about the new layout isn't being bad mannered except from PBB posts. But you guys should know that insisting on something for too long, may become a bit unpleasant. What I mean is that this is a public forum ruled by people who put much effort and passion into their work. If they, after thinking long about the best solutions to use, decide to know our opinion, that's a bonus. A sympathy we should be thankful of.
    Wouter could always decide something without consulting us. He would keep his work going, and we could bark together for 2 or 3 days but then the discussion would simply die.
    What happens here is that Wouter has the annoying habit of being a nice guy. He wants to know if you guys are happy, he wants to have your feedback and he wants you guys to have his explanation. We already got through that part.
    What he never said, and you guys just can't demand, is that he would always try to please every single member and that every move of the forums would please each one of us. Sometimes that doesn't happen. And even if it didn't please a single member, it's always him who should have the power to decide. Although Wouter runs it like if it was, UCP is not necessarily a democracy,since I can't see a constitution. Our opinion is a bonus

This forum has hundreds of active posters, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'cant see more than 8 persons saying this layout will never serve as well as the other. Some prefer the old one, but they just let it go, because they are here for the forums. Instead of being stubborn, they post along, they play, they got to CAR issues because, that's why we came here in the first time.
    Horizontal, vertical or obliquous, this will always be the best place of all to chat about cars.

Before this last change into the horizontal shape, Wouter had tried this move twice, if I remember well. So, I guess it's been his ideal of shape for a long time.

Wouter is the guy that makes things happen. He was the men who presented us with this pleasant space that became part of our lives and that is part of our everyday enjoyment.

So, why not making him happy this time, and let him do as he wishes and as he thinks it's best? Doesn't he deserve that? Don't we owe him that?
    Last edited by McReis; 03-14-2006 at 01:22 PM.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Thread Information