Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Fiber go Kart

Carbon Fiber go Kart

I've got a project in mind thats still 2-3 years away, but I wanted to make a go kart thats as minimal as possible while still being somewhat safe. It'll use composites everywhere it can since I get free carbon fiber, aramid, and fiberglass. I wanted to power it with a motorcycle engine somewhere between 50 and 100 hp and use a manual sequential shifter, but I wasn't sure what sort of clutch that uses. I also know very little about aerodynamics and how important they are in something that small. It'll be used strictly on flat paved surfaces so ground clearance should be very small.

So small, light, fast, and stuck to the ground are the goals of this project, let me know if you've got any ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

sammo law: its a waste of money!
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

most of it'll be free

Why go carbon fibre fiberglass is alot cheaper. Ive had the sam idea but have suspension like an indy car on the inside of it with rezzie shocks of a quad or a snowmobile and a Hayabusa engine. You wont really need to worry about aero if you got that much power and your aiming for a kart that looks like that. Good luck!
    UCP biggest mustang lover

I like carbon fiber better because it seems that people recognize it better than fiberglass and it'll be a school project showing what we can do with composites, but more importantly, it'll be really fun to drive.
    I want it to be the Atom of go karts, so as small/compact as possible - like a skateboard with an engine

The frames made out of metal if im not mistaken so only the front and side peices will be made out of cf?
    UCP biggest mustang lover

What you are describing sounds like a Formula SAE car. If you want it to perform as well as you say, design, dynamic analysis, stress analysis, CFD, etc will take a team of 15 around 9 months to design, build, test and tune. And thats using a previous car as a model. Going this route, assuming you have all the software, it can easily cost you more than 30-40k, even with donations. Of course, if you just want to throw some metal together and slap some CF on, it will be a lot cheaper, but won't be near the weight or performance you desire.

100hp go kart?

Google gixxer kart if you haven't seen it already. It will be faster than he would ever be able to control.

There is a guy in germany that has already installed a gsxr engine to a Kart. Check www.ringmini.de. He has some sick videos.

IMHO it may be fast, but it's not that practical for racing. For one, the weight distribution must be crap with that engine on one side. Brakes might also prove a challenge with that power.

Regarding aero, check 250cc superkarts, they have pretty big fairings and rear wings.

edit: hoot hoot post wasn´t there when I checked, its the same kart
    Last edited by magracer; 03-06-2006 at 05:47 PM.
    Zag when they Zig

stick on a Honda VTEC motor, or Ferrari motor, engine on wrecked enzo came off, mabye you can use it to build a ultra-kart
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Use a big engine and sit on it...just attach some wheels.....The whole frame hould be the engine.....LOL
    Aint Nothin' Lika A Benz....

Attach a jet engine to a skatebord with duct tape, it can't go wrong.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Believe me, a few years ago I saw an advertisement on some car magazine, and it showed a yellow go kart with a huge wing, and it says 0-60mph in 3.2 seconds with a top speed of 150mph. Try that.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    Why go carbon fibre fiberglass is alot cheaper.
    Because carbon fibre is a LOT stiffer, so you end up with (if well designed) a smaller, lighter, stiffer part.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Here is a picture of a drag kart. Here is information.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information