Thread: Tamiya QD (Quick Drive) R/C cars

Tamiya QD (Quick Drive) R/C cars

Does anyone have any experience with these ready-to-run R/C cars from Tamiya?

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/cat...p?sub-id=29000
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

I havent had experiance with them but I imagine that there a little slow and youd probably get bored with it soon. But of you want one
    eat cicada

From what I've read they aren't really slow but they aren't customizable, I should say readily customizable.

They're just a great deal, around a $100 for car and radio. So I was wondering if they are pretty much disposable? The better R/C stuff from Tamiya, almost each piece is replaceable. Not so with the QD...

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    If you want a RC car that is fast for its size and good for the price, I recommend the Kyosho Mini-Z, I have the Corvette C5-R myself and customized it with carbon fiber suspension and aftermarket motor. I think it's 1:24 scale, but it runs 15mph, and it does donuts. At full throttle, it would drain all 4 AAAs in about 10-15min, very sad thing about the aftermarket motor. Also the bodies come in die-cast style, only without an interior, but I do find them very realistic compared to the real car. Kyosho just launched the new AWD Mini-Z(those are AAA batteries so you can imagine how small it is). There are F1s and offroads as well for you fanatics out there, and don't forget the Enzo.

This Tamiya RC series is a bit sloppy, and they don't look fast at all by the spec sheet. I would take any Mini-Z over this.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

It really all depends on what you whant it to do. With cars like those you'll only be able to drive on smooth roads and surfaces. EVERY bump and and obstruction will quickly drain betteries. Also motors take lots of maintence, epecially the aftermarket ones. If speed is what you want get a nitro car. They typically have longer run times anyways (depenping on tank size, engine, and tune.) Granted, fuel is pretty expensive, about $25-35 a gallon, but youd be surprised how long a gallon lasts. I've even heard of some people getting over 15 gals. on an engine. Ultimately you should probably get what you local hobby shop stocks the most parts for or whatever your wallet will alloy.
    eat cicada

NuclearCrap, the mini-Z is an interesting piece but it's a little small. I guess people must race them. The only tracks I've seen everyone seems to be using 1/10 scale. I was considering Tamiya because I live close to the Tamiya track, and the deal is if you have a Tamiya machine you can race there free.

Simpleton, the Nitro cars are very quick but I don't like the fact that they pollute and are so loud. You can use electric anywhere, whereas gas cars are so loud that you can only use in dedicated areas.

In my research I came across the Tamiya XB-series (Expert Built). These use the TT-01 chassis, which unlike the one used in the QD cars, is highly customizable. Only downside is that since it's a package I'm sure the radio is a cheapy. Still, they are good deal compare to buying everything separately.

XB: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/cat...p?sub-id=35700

Now honestly, they are not that loud. The tuned pipe kills a good portion of the noise as well as improving the performance. Pipes arent designed to be loud and the ones that are especially loud are going to be awful performers. On the pollution comment, regular cars pollute WAY more than a tiny engine displacing only a few cc's.
    eat cicada

Thread Information