Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bizzarrini 5300 GT Strada/Corsa 1965–1968

Quote Originally Posted by Gt1Street
    which one ? the over contrasted pic ? (probably not) or the one that looks greyish ?
    edit: and why wont you let me have my moment......you....you....you thunder thief you !
    Neither one of those pictures are mine, but I do have my own pictures of it.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Bizzarrini 5300 GT Strada

By QV500 :

By August 1965 and with A3/C production having barely reached thirty units, the relationship between Renzo Rivolta and Giotto Bizzarrini had gone sour. Largely due to Bizzarrini building almost the entire run of A3/C's with his own rather than Iso's emblems, the Tuscan engineer had also registered Grifo as a trademark himself. When you consider the A3/C's had been raced and marketed at the expense of Iso, Renzo Rivolta was understandably a little disgruntled. The two split and Rivolta acquired the rights to the Grifo name while in return, Bizzarrini was given enough component parts to construct fifty vehicles and the sole rights to build the A3/C.

So by late summer of 1965, Bizzarrini was in charge of building and marketing the A3/C himself, one of his first acts being to construct a development mule (chassis IA3 0332) on which new competition and production mods were tested. Come the autumn, the factory were offering their re-named Bizzarrini 5300 GT in either Strada or Corsa trim although customers could have some degree of cross-over if they so wished. Strada's began to dominate production as ever fewer Corsa's were commissioned, the new 5300's featuring a number of interesting differences over the old Iso A3/C's. While chassis's and engines remained much the same with the 5300 GT similarly available in 365bhp or 405bhp trim, these revised versions did feature some subtle aesthetic changes. No longer fabricated by Drogo’s Sports Cars of Modena, Bizzarrini shifted production of the 5300's aluminium bodywork over to Carrozzeria BBM just a few miles down the road. The new car got paper thin indicator lenses located beneath each headlight (to replace the A3/C's pods) while a decorative bumper strip now ran the width of those distinctive nostrils. Most Strada's still featured chrome-rimmed headlight cowls although Bizzarrini did make some changes to the engine-cooling arrangements. Giotto chose a variation based on the A3/C's side-mounted vents, his 5300's getting a smaller but more distinctive chrome-trimmed item ahead of the door and a five-louvred bank behind each front wheelarch

Further back, the A3/C's door handles were deleted in favour of push button releases whilst Bizzarrini had also been experimenting with the tail. The twin roundels either side were replaced by single lghting pods while there was also an attractive new two-piece rear bumper. Inside, the slightly haphazard A3/C cabin remained all but unchanged for the timebeing although some changes would be introduced before production ended. Corsa racing versions got lightweight glassfibre bodywork with a myriad of supplementary engine cooling scoops, plastic headlight covers, leather retaining straps for the hood and perspex side and rear windows.

Engine-wise, the competition-spec Chevy motors had their compression dropped to 10.5:1 to reduce detonation symptoms while four twin choke Weber 45 DCOE sidedraught carburettors were used. Corsa engines also featured polished ports and combustion chambers, high carbon connecting rods, hot camshafts and free flow exhaust systems, all of which meant 405bhp at 6000rpm. Cabins were much more basically trimmed and this helped reduce weight to just 1190kg. While the general specifications of these competition cars remained fundamentally unaltered, we're fairly sure Bizzarrini only built one customer car and another for the works, both of which were made in late 1965. Soon after though, some of the original components for those first fifty cars were beginning to run short and thus Bizzarrini began making a few changes here and there, the most obvious coming inside. A boxy new walnut facia dash, a smaller diameter wood rimmed steering wheel and more luxuriously padded seats were all phased in in an attempt to attract more clients from Ferrari, Lamborghini and Maserati. However, as a manufacturer in his own right, Bizzarrini always struggled to make money and by the middle of 1968, the firm went into receivership, closing down for good in 1969 after producing 67 5300 GT Strada's and probably no more than two Corsa's. However, a handful of these 5300's were completed as GT America's although at the present time we are unable to quantify exactly how many.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Why isn't this in the hideout?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Dunno, I figured it matches here better
    and I have loads more pictures...

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    because it is a classic car, and it has a story attached to it.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Yes but so are and have many cars in the hideout.

It isn't that important though, just as long as we can enjoy it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

more pics for your enjoyment

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    yea no press text eh
    12 cylinders or walk!

last batch

To be honest, both the Iso and this are stunning cars. However the Iso has IMO a bit of a plus. I guess it is "emotional value" for me because i've loved it since being a toddler.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    To be honest, both the Iso and this are stunning cars. However the Iso has IMO a bit of a plus. I guess it is "emotional value" for me because i've loved it since being a toddler.
    Exactly how it is for me and this beauty...

This car looks simply amazing... I'm not really into classic cars, but I can look days at cars like this.

Does anybody know the dimensions of this car? Somehow it looks like the car is very low.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo View Post
    This car looks simply amazing... I'm not really into classic cars, but I can look days at cars like this.

Does anybody know the dimensions of this car? Somehow it looks like the car is very low.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame....php&carnum=49
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    When someone wants to do one of these presentations, what are required? Can I go look up a bunch of interesting information and pictures and do one myself if I think the car warrants it? As long as I check to see if it hasn't been done before?
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    When someone wants to do one of these presentations, what are required? Can I go look up a bunch of interesting information and pictures and do one myself if I think the car warrants it? As long as I check to see if it hasn't been done before?
    sounds about right, aslong as the facts are facts and the story has relevance...

BTW can someone move this thread to the Hide-Out, I think it'll be more appropriate...

Thread Information