Thread: The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System

The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System

This is an article I found interesting about brake myths:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...akedisk.shtml#

I thought it would be of use for those attending track days. There are other interesting articles on the subject.
    Last edited by magracer; 03-26-2006 at 04:44 PM.
    Zag when they Zig

Interesting article there. If it's true that 'steel' brake discs aren't really steel at all, why is it that they are commonly referred to as steel? Bit of a strange one.

The article on that site about brake balance is also quite a good one. Some of the others look interesting if you have a heard for formulae and maths, but they were a little too much for me on a Sunday night!
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    Interesting article there. If it's true that 'steel' brake discs aren't really steel at all, why is it that they are commonly referred to as steel? Bit of a strange one.

The article on that site about brake balance is also quite a good one. Some of the others look interesting if you have a heard for formulae and maths, but they were a little too much for me on a Sunday night!
    Most road brakes are made from grey iron. For example, Holden's brake discs made in Port Melbourne are made from grey iron.

Grey iron is technically a steel since it contains both austenite and graphite. This is why people in the industry sometimes refer to grey iron as steel with graphite inclusions.

Thread Information