Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety/Convenience features .....

Safety/Convenience features .....

Safety/Convenience features that are found on some cars but should be standard on all cars.

I was driving my wife's '98 Ford Windstar minivan the other night, uneventful other than through a series of small events, I realized that there are some small features on some cars/vans that I feel all manufacturers should have standard.

I'll elaborate: I get into the van (at night) - my hands are full, I place my coffee in the cup holder, place a stack of work-related papers down between the seats along with a few CDs and my lunch and I clumsily drop the keys, so I open the door to get the interior light back on, and I think 'why don't they just have the interior light stay on until the ignition is turned on .... my '96 Chrysler van was like that' - it would turn off after a few minutes, I guess it assumed that if the driver's door opened and the van didn't start the driver was no longer present.
    I'm driving along and my sideview mirrors are fogging up, I reach over and grab a napkin from the glovebox, roll down the driver's window and wipe it clear, cursing that I would need to stop and get out to do the same on the passenger side - I didn't bother, but I know my dad's '99 Ford Taurus has heated mirrors.

That's when I thought about making a thread to see what other members think should be mandatory safety/ convenience features standard on all cars.
    I'm not looking for contributions like "a min. of 200 bhp" or "manual transmissions", although AWD could be considered.

A few I can think of from the top of my head:

- Electric defrost wires (as used for rear windows) on bottom 2-3" of the windshield, this would eliminate potential tearing of the wipers, should be powerful enough to melt ice in vehicles with a wiper "park" position and activated when "defrost" is selected on the climate control panel.

- Heated outside rearview (wing) mirrors, to prevent fogging and the need for wiping while driving, should be activated when "defrost" is selected on the climate control panel, either timed or temperature controlled.

- Outside rearview (wing) mirror turn signal repeaters, this is such a low cost, safety feature that everyone from Kia on up should have it.

- Reverse sensors in the rear bumper, most manufacturers offer this feature for under a $1000 in some of their lineup, with the hype surrounding 5 star safety ratings and "pedestrian friendly" hoods and bumpers this should also be standard.

My mind has gone blank for now ... I'll add more later, please add your own ideas, they do not have to be original or even already in existence ... just reasonably viable.
    Last edited by NoOne; 03-22-2006 at 02:17 PM.

Cost
    had cars with some of these -- including the Ford heated front windscreen
    More things to go wrong too !!
    M-B learned the lesson that less means more reliable
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I quite like the heated windscreen, makes scraping easier in the morning. Only thing with it is that any stone chips kill the whole line, so you stripes of mist. Most annoying.

I'd like a boot that pops up when u press the button on the keyfob, I know some cars do it. Mine doesn't, it just unlocks. Dead useful when you have full hands.

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    I'd like a boot that pops up when u press the button on the keyfob, I know some cars do it. Mine doesn't, it just unlocks. Dead useful when you have full hands.
    my dads old xsara did it, not on the c5 though That has a button to close and open the windows remotely

The c5 also has retractable mirrors,which is really handy for close parking and general damage while parked. Also does the right mirror titl slightly down when in reverse to create more view right next to the car for poles and such.

I know some cars wind all their windows up when you lock the car, I thikn it was a Merc thing originally, that's a good one.

On the down side, I HATE the way that when you use washer jets on the windscreen, the wiper automatically swishes past 3 or 4 times. After one or two wipes, screen looks great, after that it just dries up and starts smearing.

I'd like an alcohol sensor to be attached to the ingnition. No pass, take a cab!

It would be a hassle to blow the thing every time you wanted to start the car, and could probably be easily over ridden, but it's better than nothing.
    Zag when they Zig

Quote Originally Posted by magracer
    I'd like an alcohol sensor to be attached to the ingnition. No pass, take a cab!

It would be a hassle to blow the thing every time you wanted to start the car, and could probably be easily over ridden, but it's better than nothing.
    this german company came up with a similar device oh, and i think that the navigation and radio and ac on cars should be seperate.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Cost
    had cars with some of these -- including the Ford heated front windscreen
    More things to go wrong too !!
    M-B learned the lesson that less means more reliable
    I did consider costs for some of these features, but as the automotive industry keeps competing for our (the consumer's) business, with drastically reduced MSRP's and financing at around 0% with cash back incentives, I believe their future lies in giving more for less and a lot of these ideas I would think are quite cheap.

Of course reliability is another big issue, but with some of the small things (IE: turn signal repeaters, trunk release key fob, etc) should be straight forward enough to not be a concern.

I'd like an alcohol sensor to be attached to the ingnition
    I like this alot, there is a few available in the aftermarket and I think in some cases where a DUI conviction has occured it is mandatory (I could be wrong on this).

The new Saabs have that feature.

A few more that I like:

- power to the power windows remains on after ignition has been turned off until the door has been opened, my parents have this in their 2000 Pontiac Montana - another cheap, effective and no-reason-not-to-be-reliable feature.

- built in baby/booster seats in minivans (Chrysler had it over 10 yrs ago) and available no cost option in family oriented sedans, I like this alot, no more excuses for not having babies/children properly and safely restrained and not giving up adult space with a bulky car seat.

- factory stereos that don't suck - with the booming ( ) stereo aftermarket, I see no reason why auto manufacturers insist on putting low power, low quality factory systems in their cars. Minimum should be AM/FM/CD/MP3 compatable 4x50 watt system with 4 speakers up to the task. IMHO.

I think they put crappy radios in so their customers can't sue them for hearing damage.

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    On the down side, I HATE the way that when you use washer jets on the windscreen, the wiper automatically swishes past 3 or 4 times. After one or two wipes, screen looks great, after that it just dries up and starts smearing.
    LOL . Same here, I'm always yelling at it "stop, just stop the wiping!". Someone should come up with a system that senses how much wiping it needs

No. Just no.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda
    No. Just no.
    Why not? Seems like a good idea to me in principle. Not sure how it would work logistically, but I can't see why you would object to it (unless you're a regular drink driver, which I hope you aren't ).
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda
    No. Just no.
    LOL! @ Lagonda and I agree with you

Thread Information