Page 53 of 500 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Galah Sessions

I got E10 on tuesday night for $1.26. If i had a docket i wouldve gotten normal unleaded from Caltex as its 1c cheaper (whoopie!!) but as it turns out, E10 is 95 octane and they had a 98 octane E10 blend as well for 1.32.
    I am the Stig

They say Tuesday is always cheapest. Not this time $1.27 **** ****.
    I was thinking again of getting Vortex 98 @ $1.38 it's pretty good. I wont use E10 **** it
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Im not the biggest fan of ethanol either. Ive heard a few stories its about 25% less economical than pure blends, but lately ive also heard alot more positive stories, like the different octane rating and such. I only put $10 worth in, so i'll know by the weekend if the economy's down the drain but if it lasts i might give it another shot.
    I am the Stig

Over on the Commodore forum a guy owns a VP, He ran pretty much full tanks of just about every fuel over some time and documented them all down.
    He got bad economy on the 98's big surprise there, Best economy was ULP 91. And the E10's he felt slightly less power with slightly less economy to ULP.
    I thought a higher octane was slower to burn off?.

I think it's older model cars that will suffer with the Ethanol, They say it needs to be tunned in with the older V6's not sure about the I6's?. but there are some that run it 1-2 tanks here and there then PULP for 2 and back to E10.

The VP is too old to take advantage of the higher octane fuels and will be tuned for 91 - so no suprise in his economy results.

91 Oct in my Saab though and the knock senson keeps killing the boost - the higher compression ratios (esp with the extra boost) need the higher octane to prevent early detonation
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

i have to run 95 oct in my accord because its a bit to slugish with 91 oct i only buy 91 if a: not much money or b: they dont have 95 oct
    people like u dont need to be on this go to supid land where your mind is ass - toyota4ever

ricers suck...pasta rockets for life - sicilian973-2

But being tunned on 91 should give it a great leap in performance when ran on the good stuff shouldn't it?.

No. Cars that get high hp off high RON fuel get it because the higher RON fuel is less likely to pre-detonate and so the ignition can be advanced further to generate more powah!
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    But being tunned on 91 should give it a great leap in performance when ran on the good stuff shouldn't it?.
    Only if the car is fitted with Knock sensors. the only way a car determins what fuel it is using is by measuring the amount of knock. So in the new commodore, it has twin knock sensos. If you put in say 98 RON, there will be no knock so the timming will advance to the maximum operating offset. Put in say 91 RON, and the car will detect knock, retard the timing until there is no knock, and the car will produce less power.
    MY05 Subaru WRX
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Resonatrectomy
    127 Kw @ all 4 paws

Quote Originally Posted by mmm_aapls
    Only if the car is fitted with Knock sensors. the only way a car determins what fuel it is using is by measuring the amount of knock. So in the new commodore, it has twin knock sensos. If you put in say 98 RON, there will be no knock so the timming will advance to the maximum operating offset. Put in say 91 RON, and the car will detect knock, retard the timing until there is no knock, and the car will produce less power.
    I'm pretty sure almost 100% that it's got a knock sensor. I think this was added in the series 2 VN or maybe with the VP?.

yes the VP does have knock sensors but again they only tell the car if there is pre-detonation. So in the case of a VP, the engine cannot advance the timming as much as say an LS2. Say on 98 RON, it will never advance the timing enough for pre-detonation to occur. That is why a popular upgrade is to use different gears to advance the timing so that it uses higher octane fuel.

Another example is my Subaru. It can only run on 98 RON or higher. This is becasue the engine cannot retard the timming enough to avoid knock when using lower octane fuels. I found that out when we put some cars on the dyno using sheel optimax and a few of them started to knock.
    MY05 Subaru WRX
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Resonatrectomy
    127 Kw @ all 4 paws

Hmm, I thought Optimax was 98RON and Extreme was 100RON and Shell 95 was just called premium. My uncle always ran his WRX on Optimax and I'm pretty sure he only runs his new GT on it as well
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Hmm, I thought Optimax was 98RON and Extreme was 100RON and Shell 95 was just called premium. My uncle always ran his WRX on Optimax and I'm pretty sure he only runs his new GT on it as well
    Well this was done by the WRX club of Victoria and after that happened we sent a letter to Sheel asking them to explain why our cars were pinging. The response we got was that Sheel could not gaurentee that Optimax was infact 98 RON or higher. The only thing they could gaurentee was the MON (motor octane number). They said RON was determined by chemists, at the plant, and pollutants can reduce this number. MON on the other hand is detemrmed by running the fuel in a standardized engine with an adjustable compresion ratio. With the engine running at a standard speed and load the compression rati is increased until detonation is dectable. That is why I don't use Shell anymore, only BP. Becasue BP actually gaurentee 98 RON.
    MY05 Subaru WRX
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Resonatrectomy
    127 Kw @ all 4 paws

I dont think i'll bother with the ethanol again. Been driving fairly lightfooted lately and the needle's still alot lower than i expected.
    I am the Stig

the 200 has to have 95 or higher, i choose to put higher in even though i dont get many more kays or much more performance, its better for my engine though.

oh and it doesnt take ethanol at all. Nissan says all models prior to Jan 2004 cannot be garunteed to have no ill effects of using ethanol fuel. i just dont risk it.
    The Datto will rage again...

Thread Information