Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homework questions...Aussie pricing...

Homework questions...Aussie pricing...

Im doing a problem solving mini-assignment for Maths. I have to work out the cost of buying a car.
    I was hoping some of you could help me...
    Off the top of your heads, could you state some approximate prices for the following?
    Thanks.

Regular Servicing (That is, servicing per year, assuming it needs to be serviced twice.)
    Registration and Third Party Insurance
    Other Insurance (State which type)
    Price of a basic stereo upgrade...
    3 year licence (18 years old, first car)
    Minor accident (lights, grill, bumper bar replaced)
    And replacement of two tyres.

Second resort is to find it all out myself, but I figured maybe some of the guys here might have it as general knowledge, and would be much appreciated.
    Thanks again!
    All about the t-tops

Do you know why they're called your problems? Cause they YOUR problems. Enjoy
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Where does it say "Your problems"?
    -.-
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING
    Regular Servicing (That is, servicing per year, assuming it needs to be serviced twice.)about $120 per service depending on type of service and type of car
    Registration and Third Party Insurancerego - $600 depending on number of cylinders, insurance about the same
    Other Insurance (State which type)
    Price of a basic stereo upgrade...stereo itself about $300
    3 year licence (18 years old, first car)
    Minor accident (lights, grill, bumper bar replaced)completely dependant on car and availability of parts
    And replacement of two tyres.$250 dependant on brand
    don't you have parents that can tell you this kind of stuff
    edit: all this stuff is very variable
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

My mother is busy packing (we're moving house) and making tea...and my father lives far far away (10 minutes).
    Thanks for your help.
    If you could revise...Its supposedly, an $8000, 4 cylinder.
    Might go and research Insurance and Licence. It should only take a sec.
    All about the t-tops

Red P's are $40 for license, $40 for test

Not sure for green's though.

Accident wise, grille's and bumpers are dead cheap from wreckers, lights would be a bit more.

I got stuck paying the rego on mums V6 Camry today, that was a bit over $300 for the green slip and just over $250 for rego. Not sure about comprehensive and full comprehensive, but typically full comprehensive for an 18yo you might expect over $1000 a year.

2 new tyres, you might get lucky and pick them up $70 each somewhere like Beaurepairs.

Servicing? Learning to rotate tyres, free. 5L oil and new oil filter, under $50.
    I am the Stig

What are green P's?
    Yeah I found that. Apparently it got raised 1 dollar to $40. Lol...

It says I need another type of insurance. What other types are there than "Third Party" insurance? I dont even know what that is! Different to comprehensive?
    All about the t-tops

green P's are a stupid license thing they have in NSW after you get your license, restrict you to 90km/h's i think (may be red P's?)
    alternatively green P's are a common vegetable please kill me for that horrible pun
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Youve got 3rd party (green slip), comprehensive and full comprehensive. Any sort of comprehensive insurance is optional, and its full comp thats typically known as insurance.

Pretty sure 3rd party covers injury to other people, comprehensive covers vehicle damage to others, full comp covers yourself. Neither comp or CTP is your personal insurance, thats full comp.

Green P's are what youre stuck on after red P's. Red P's last 18 months but you can get off them after 12. Greens last 30 months but you can get off them after 24.
    I am the Stig

How does math come into the equation (pun intended)?
    Seems like its just a bunch of research into car ownership...

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyperl
    How does math come into the equation (pun intended)?
    Seems like its just a bunch of research into car ownership...
    gasp! its a conspiracy! TVR is trying ot get free info out of us!!

What on earth are you talking about..therse no conspiracy <_< >_>
    Lol its a free site. If I want free info, I ask for free info

Well, I have to work out all the costs. First it was how many weeks till Im 18. Then I had to use that to work out how much I would have to save per week to reach $8000 by the time Im 18. Turns out, if I save $63.50 every week, I will turn 18 with $8001.
    Then it presents us with our cars fuel usage, and how much we drive per week, and we have to work out how much fuel will cost per week.
    Maths anyone?
    50km per day, apart from 100km per day on weekends. (50x7)+(100x2)=550km per week. Fuel costs $1.28 Per Litre, car uses 8 Litres per 100km. $1.28 times 8 Litres per 100km times 5.5 hundred km equals cost of fuel per week. (1.28x8)x5.5=$56.30 Per week for fuel.
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by TVR
    50km per day, apart from 100km per day on weekends. (50x7)+(100x2)=550km per week.
    How many days in your weeks? 9?

Quote Originally Posted by TVR
    car uses 8 Litres per 100km
    What? Not much in real traffic
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Is this a trick question?

If you have third party insurance with full coverage and you have no driving history, you will not be elegible for any discount. As a result you will not loose anything if you ask your insurance to repair any light accidents.

In some cities parking expenses is also an issue when owning a car, so you should check on that.
    Zag when they Zig

IN the UK at least "third party" means just that.
    YOU have no coverage in an accident , only the other person --- the "third party"
    Assie "full coverage" likely means being buggared by a 'roo
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information