Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 teams for 2008?

22 teams for 2008?

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=35448

22 teams apply for 2008 entries
    Friday, 31, March, 2006, 17:54

Twenty-two teams have submitted entry applications for the 2008 Formula 1 world championship, the FIA revealed on Friday.

With only 12 slots available, 10 applications will be rejected.

“The FIA has received applications from 22 teams wishing to compete in the 2008 FIA Formula One World Championship,” the governing body said in a statement.

“All applicants have been invited to a meeting in London on April 10, 2006.”

Among the applicants are all 11 existing teams, former Minardi owner Paul Stoddart and former BAR and Benetton boss David Richards.
    I am the Stig

Sod that, let them all go qualify
    Will certainly make it LOTS more interesting if folks are actually going to miss the grid rather than just be at the end of it if they're pish.

Thoughts .... how many UCPers remember when F1 used to have more teams than Slots and qualifying MEANT qualifying ?? I thought not
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Glad to know they recieved my application! I plan to race 1974 Lola Fords with a 2008 rule compliant aero package.

Seriously. 22?!?! All of the ex-F3000 guys must have submitted an application, or we must be on the verge of recession if that many people are bullish about being able to find $100+ million in sponsorship.
    Zag when they Zig

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    how many UCPers remember when F1 used to have more teams than Slots and qualifying MEANT qualifying ?? I thought not
    I do...

Quote Originally Posted by magracer
    Glad to know they recieved my application! I plan to race 1974 Lola Fords with a 2008 rule compliant aero package.

Seriously. 22?!?! All of the ex-F3000 guys must have submitted an application, or we must be on the verge of recession if that many people are bullish about being able to find $100+ million in sponsorship.
    Well Stoddart and Prodrive have confirmed their application and theres the likes of Penske that are highly rumoured. If McLaren still want a B team under Direxiv or however they were going to do it, thats another.
    I am the Stig

it would be preetty interesting to see Lotus come back.... and porsche... even if its not even close to happening in my dreams.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

From Grandprix.com:

Who are the new teams?
    The announcement that the FIA has received 22 entries for 2008 is not really a surprise as there is no real commitment necessary at the moment. The various dossiers need now to be examined by the FIA in order to see who is really sensible - and who is not.

The confirmed applications come from Prodrive and from Paul Stoddart. In addition we believe that Craig Pollock and Eddie Jordan have put in entries and we expect that Eddie Irvine has also made an application. In addition there are a number of GP2 teams which would like to move up into F1. The most likely of these are Racing Engineering from Spain and DPR Direxiv, both of which are believed to have very decent budgets for an F1 programme. The other entries are probably more speculative with the likes of BCN Competicion, ART Grand Prix, Arden International, DAMS, Carlin Motorsport, FMS International and Piquet Sports likely to have taken a punt. Whether or not these organisations can find the money to compete is quite another matter but it will certainly be useful for the FIA that so many teams have tried to join in, as it will allow the federation to show that F1 does not need the car manufacturers.

With just one slot available, it is always possible that the FIA might consider that MF1 Racing to be a less convincing candidate than one of the proposed teams. The most likely candidate to succeed is probably Prodrive, although there is no evidence of any money, but we also suspect that one of the Spanish teams will be able to find the money on the back of Fernando Alonso's success in recent years.

As I thought a bunch of GP2 teams filed applications.
    Zag when they Zig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Well Stoddart and Prodrive have confirmed their application and theres the likes of Penske that are highly rumoured. If McLaren still want a B team under Direxiv or however they were going to do it, thats another.
    Paul stoddart (!!) has also sent in his application. He can have a car ready in two weeks he said in an interview

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Paul stoddart (!!) has also sent in his application. He can have a car ready in two weeks he said in an interview
    The old Minardi PS04B

I like that idea, letting all the teams qualify. Then you'd really be fighting for a spot, and a points finish would be a really big deal to the mid-fielders.

As for Stoddart, I think Richards may beat him out, we've already seen the fruits of Pauls labours, and they weren't very quick. But I've no idea who else is lodging an entry, so you never know I guess.
    Last edited by cp01ae; 04-01-2006 at 11:11 AM.
    Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Sod that, let them all go qualify
    Will certainly make it LOTS more interesting if folks are actually going to miss the grid rather than just be at the end of it if they're pish.

Thoughts .... how many UCPers remember when F1 used to have more teams than Slots and qualifying MEANT qualifying ?? I thought not
    I do as well. Late 80s/early 90s. Love to see that again.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

what would be the objection to have 30 cars at the grid? Limitations in the number of pitboxes?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Well at the moment they get 3 garages per team since the T-car has to be "ready to go", so for a grid of 30 cars, being 15 teams, would need 45 garages.

You could argue that they should keep the T-car in one of their trucks, but I don't know how much of a realistic proposition that is, seeing as the test drivers need to use it during the practice sessions, unless they intend to kill that off.
    Thanks for all the fish

I like the idea of teams qualifying for a grid spot before each race. The top runners needed worry but it's the teams that are running 2-3 laps behind by the end of the race that'll possibly be replaced, in the process making the racing more competitive. Now, these teams seem to get free runs no matter how uncompetitive they are.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    I like the idea of teams qualifying for a grid spot before each race. The top runners needed worry but it's the teams that are running 2-3 laps behind by the end of the race that'll possibly be replaced, in the process making the racing more competitive. Now, these teams seem to get free runs no matter how uncompetitive they are.
    It would be kinda like NASCAR (as much as I hate NASCAR) where there are several teams trying to qualify to get into the race. That adds excitement and like you said will up the competition.

Thread Information