Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The LS7 is amazing - LG Motorsports' latest results

The LS7 is amazing - LG Motorsports' latest results - 100hp/litre

Check out this graph

With new cams, headers, exhaust port work, and a few other minor touches, LG motorsports has pushed the LS7 past the 700hp mark without too much difficulty. The figure on the dyno graph is at the rear wheels, so at the crank the figure is roughly (add 14% for average drivetrain loss) 710hp.

I'm sure many people will be shocked to see a naturally-aspirated 'pushrod dinosaur' pass the 100hp/litre mark, especially with this amount of work done to it. Apperently it's more docile than you'd think, too. LG Motorsports' owner uses this Z06 as his daily driver, apperently it idles and drives just fine.

Considering this and its weight/cost, I can't think of any other engine that comes remotely close to this level of bargain. I'd like to see one in an Ultima GTR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 04-07-2006 at 03:56 PM.

I'm impressed. I always think that it's a waste of an engine when you see a 4.6 V8 cranking out a mere 260bhp, when Opel can get that from a 2.0 I4 (albeit with a turbo).

Just wow

"There ain't no replacement for displacement."

Not a great surprise, E-N, given that the LS7 has some pretty exotic materials and constructino in standard setup. It amazed me how little it got for an engine with forged crank, pistons, titanium rods and valves and lost of other goodies.
    Looks like LG have unleashed what it's made for
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    I'm sure many people will be shocked to see a naturally-aspirated 'pushrod dinosaur' pass the 100hp/litre mark
    Back in 1970 Ford Aus built a couple of 5.8 litre 'Super Falcon' GTHOs. Ex-factory those 351 Clevelands made 620hp, revved to 9600rpm and produced 296km/h

Seen this a while back, very nice.
    And for the hp/l fanboys, notice its making the magic figure without having to rev past 7000RPMs...

Mmmm, torque...

VTEC WHAT
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    "There ain't no replacement for displacement."
    Well there is compression..
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Seen this a while back, very nice.
    And for the hp/l fanboys, notice its making the magic figure without having to rev past 7000RPMs...
    The boys from allan engineering have been getting 650hp @ 6000rpm from a sr 20(2 litre turbo) 325hp/l without titanium and all that exotic stuff, So us fanboys arent really impressed There going for over 800hp next for a marque sports race car
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 04-08-2006 at 01:26 AM.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by charged
    The boys from allan engineering have been getting 650hp @ 6000rpm from a sr 20(2 litre turbo) 325hp/l without titanium and all that exotic stuff, So us fanboys arent really impressed There going for over 800hp next for a marque sports race car

yeah and lets see that motor still be a daily driver and be reliable. and i bet the vette gets better gas milage too!! you fanboys should be impressed.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Never mind turbocharging. Import fanboys always go on and on about naturally-aspirated cars which get 100hp/litre. It's just great to see it finally happening from a solid, lightweight, and power-efficient (pushrods or not) V8. I'm sure you could get thousands of horsepower with turbocharging, but that's not what this thread is about. The fact is that this engine is streetable and makes this kind of N/A power without all too much fuss.

I'm not bashing any other engineering, it's just that this is very impressive.
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 04-08-2006 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs
    yeah and lets see that motor still be a daily driver and be reliable. and i bet the vette gets better gas milage too!! you fanboys should be impressed.
    Bang.

Hit that nail on the head!

There's no way that a turbo that's been forced that much will stand a chance as a reliable driver- Mitsubishi knew this, hence why they cranked "only" 400 bhp from the Evo MR-FQ400. They wanted it to still be reliable.

A nicely naturally aspirated engine won't suffer other induction-created problems, i.e. turbo lag- the Audi Quattro was slower in top from 20mph to 60mph than a 900cc VW Polo of that era

A natuned engine will never have those problems to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    Bang.

Hit that nail on the head!

There's no way that a turbo that's been forced that much will stand a chance as a reliable driver- Mitsubishi knew this, hence why they cranked "only" 400 bhp from the Evo MR-FQ400. They wanted it to still be reliable.

A nicely naturally aspirated engine won't suffer other induction-created problems, i.e. turbo lag- the Audi Quattro was slower in top from 20mph to 60mph than a 900cc VW Polo of that era

A natuned engine will never have those problems to worry about
    A gear stick fixes that problem, or cant you comprehend down changing gears

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs
    Juggs,we race in a class called ipra the turbo motors are a lot more reliable than highly tuned V8's. The Torana V8 (green car) was rebuilt twice last year at great expense and isn't near the front of the pack. The yellow car (lap record holder & national champ) runs a sr20 det makes over 370hp witha 36mill restrictor on the turbo hasnt had its head of in 4 years of racing and testing, go figure Juggs. The ricer fanboys dont hold a candle to you V8 fanboys . The blue car in the picture was built by Allan engineering makes between 400-650 hp depending on tune and is a DAILY DRIVER

The engine in the blue stanza has been in the car 3 years, who gives a toss about fuel economy when you have over 600 hp
    Last edited by charged; 04-08-2006 at 03:05 AM.

it IS impressive, that finaly someone decided to take advantage of such potential.

but i think that some performance in terms of displacement/power is held by imports, purely because power can be so high from such a small engine.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

A gear stick fixes that problem, or cant you comprehend down changing gears
    Sometimes you don't want to, when cruising, for example. You need to get past the shitty Datsun in front of you, and don't really need to change down when you have so much torque and accessible power at your disposal.

See the Holden/Vauxhall Monaro for a great example of that.

Thread Information