Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tamiya Con/2006

I was thinking that too... but thanks for correcting me, i wasnt too sure.

Nismojames15

to PERFADV

that orange nissan R390 is nothing short of a masterpeice,the paintwork is amazing,I wonder if anyone could help me with how to get my paint job looking like that, I have recently purchased a nissan R390 kit(tamiya) and a Nissan R89C (tamiya)but I can never seem to get the amazing paintjobs others get..how?and there are mold lines in my paint work,which are on the bare plastic.whats with that?(I am referring to my previous models,do not worry,I have not butchered the R390)

I have only recently started competition modeling,and am not going so well, I have started to make extra details.....such as braided hoses and intercooler piping(make braided piping with shoe-lace's,paint it silver)
    the only thing I dis-agree with is the fact that the nissan is missing the roof.........why?the roof gives the car a flowing look and just looks betta with a roof,but aside from that its a great model....oh yeh,whats that brown bit on top of the motor,im prety sure they didnt have that normally?

any help is appreciated

Hi

You can get loads of tips at this link...including preparing the body for paint and polishing techniques:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=215864

NismoJames, the link Dino_Scuderia suggested is a treasure trove of how-tos...

I don't have a lot of experience and my cars don't turn out anywhere as nice as the ones at this contest and some of the other posters right here are far more knowledgeable than me but here's what I do.

For the mold lines, I've had some success by prepping the car for painting then first spraying with primer. Tamiya has what they call Surface Primer, I get it in Gray. Then sand the entire surface lightly. The high spots and mold lines will appear and you can then concentrate on them until smooth.

One of the mistakes I use to make was being rushed, which caused small imperfections in each step, adding up to a less then stellar job at the end. Be methodical and patient, always let primer/paint/clear-coats dry completely before sanding/wet sanding/polishing.

Although it's nice to pay a lot of attention to a complex model, I've found the most difficult part is the body painting. Complete more simple kits rather than a few complex ones and your expertise will develop quicker...
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Thread Information