Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone rember Group B?

Anyone rember Group B?

Does anyone here rember the old school Groub B racing? The reason ive put this post up is because ive never seen a post talk about Group B and also that i think it had and still does have some of the fastest rally and LM racers ever made.

P.S. feel free to talk about any cars from the Group B era.

Group B factoid: The Delta S4 was so fast around the Estoril GP circuit that it would have qualified in 6th place for it's homologation year GP if it had been allowed to enter!
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

yeh well shit happens mate. Have u seen the prototype ferrari 288 gto rally racer.

Yeah, it was never going to be a rally car though - just a cunning way to get from the 288 to the F40 whilst creating a bit of PR in the process. Still gorgeous though!

Quote Originally Posted by Markie Boy
    yeh well shit happens mate.
    Wow - what an incredibly mature reply *claps*

I don't know about 'mature' - certainly confusing though!

lol! yeh but the 288 evo was f ing kool.

ey did u ever see the porsche 959 moby dick that car was nuts it would blow the doors off any other car today easily it would beat an f1 car in a straight line and i saw a video of it getting pretty far ahead of a porsche gt1 which is very impressive since it has no computer assists.

The 959 was NEVER a serious contender for GroupB rallys it was developed with the proposed GRoupB RACING regs but as rallying took over the formula entries then it was misplaced.
    Porsche did run modified 911s to 959 spec in rallying to save face and did well. But nevere as serious winning formula and not worth the investment it woudl have taken to be competitive in GroupB world stage.
    Likewise the Ferrari. It was OK for tarmac but all wrong for forest.

But to return to the main topic of GroupB touring car RACING, I'd like to see more pics and results if anyone has them
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 04-18-2006 at 04:23 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Markie Boy
    ey did u ever see the porsche 959 moby dick that car was nuts it would blow the doors off any other car today easily it would beat an f1 car in a straight line and i saw a video of it getting pretty far ahead of a porsche gt1 which is very impressive since it has no computer assists.
    There is no 959 Moby Dick; the Moby Dick was a 935.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

959 did good in the Dakar though. 1,2 and 5. If the third car did not act as a service car (it picked the spare tyres, and repairment kits for the other two), it could have finished 3rd, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento
    959 did good in the Dakar though. 1,2 and 5. If the third car did not act as a service car (it picked the spare tyres, and repairment kits for the other two), it could have finished 3rd, apparently.
    The Dakar cars were modified 911s with 959 running gear and definately done to "save face" having invested so much in the program (imho)
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

There were 911 Dakar racers, but they were replaced by the 959.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    Group B factoid: The Delta S4 was so fast around the Estoril GP circuit that it would have qualified in 6th place for it's homologation year GP if it had been allowed to enter!
    The myth has always been there but facts rarely adds up.....how likely it is that for a car with less horsepower, more weight and makes no downforce be as fast as a F1 car on qualifier rubber back in the 80s.....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Thread Information