Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I Right,in my assumptions.

Is there anybody who really looked at Ali's first post. It's really easy to throw mud at somebody who's English skills aren't 100%, but I haven't seen any serious answers to the questions (except for my own). Now come back to classic cars and go for the subject!

The questions are:
    The 1st assumption that I have is that anyone interested in classic motor vehicles is also somewhat of a preservationist (probabyle meaning that he/she is into collecting / preserving old stuff)
    2nd) some (like me for instance) are interested also in modern or prototype motor vehicles.
    Now here's the 'BOMB" (the basic, most difficult question in the post)
    3rd) Would anybody be interested to join MR X's efforts, to create an International documentary museum about motor vehicles of any kind,make and model? Of course we need money to make this possible, but also ways to build up the collection! (Originally: remember no.1 priority is MONEY,then the rest.)

Quote Originally Posted by J.J.Horst
    The questions are:
    The 1st assumption that I have is that anyone interested in classic motor vehicles is also somewhat of a preservationist (probabyle meaning that he/she is into collecting / preserving old stuff)
    2nd) some (like me for instance) are interested also in modern or prototype motor vehicles.
    3rd) Would anybody be interested to join MR X's efforts, to create an International documentary museum about motor vehicles of any kind,make and model? Of course we need money to make this possible, but also ways to build up the collection! (Originally: remember no.1 priority is MONEY,then the rest.)
    Wow, our own alibabian-english translator Mind you, I'm not trying to offend anyone. I simply find the idea of one guy posting and then another guy translating those posts, amusing.
    I didn't answer his questions because I simply couldn't understand them, what I think is clearly stated in my previous posts. Now, that I know what he's asking about, I can answer.
    1. But of course! When someone's interested in classic stuff, it's understood per se that he's preserving that stuff. After all, that's his object of interest. Nothing particularly shocking in this assumption
    2. I'm also interested in modern cars, prototypes etc. because what now is modern, as the time passes will become classic. Today is the future history By paying attention to what's going on in the automotive world nowadays, in the future I'll have better knowledge about what will then be considered as classics.
    3. Would be great, but somehow I don't see it happen. There are already such institutions, and I don't think another one is necessary. Maybe a virtual one? That might've been more useful and more possible. Then again, I agree - problem no. 1 is money.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Translations are common to me: I sometimes post in a French Forum (My posts in English) which then are translated by other members. Sometimes I've seen even 2 translations of 1 post!

I'm really sorry to write this, but I'm truly disapointed with most of our long-time forum members who wrote in this thread.
    As many of you may know, I run a portuguese automotive forum, for portuguese enthusiasts and sometimes I find it harder to understand some members there who write in my native language than it is to understand Ali Baba.

There are two behaviour problems in this forums, and they are both very clear in this thread:

1st one: Lazyness

Everyone here seems to hate minimal efforts. There are those who don't like to read horizontal posts, there are those who prefer to post links to links instead of copying the original adress and finally, there are those who are too busy to read a post 2 times to understand it's meaning.
    If I were the only one to get the meaning of Ali Baba's questions, I woulnd't bother writting this, but there were ate least 2 more members who understood the intention. Not easy to understand him? Sure, I totally agree and I believe he can and will improve his writting has his vocabulary is not poor. And Ali Baba should mind that and try to better it. But that's no reason to flame him and to write childish posts.

2nd one: The joy of flaming.

It's been discussed here many times and even more on the Mod Forums. Everyone here who has more than say, 1.000 posts, thinks he's gained an authority to speak to newcomers as if they were a lesser species. Sure Ali Baba likes to play around a bit with us. But this is not even about him. It's about every new member that happens to make a clumsy first thread. After that, this looks like a kindergarden with a non-stopping row of laughing stone throwers in an exercise of masturbating humour, with jokes to friends and harsh words to the recent arrivals, never minding the possibility that behind the new nickname, there may be a nice person.
    Wich one of us here as never wrote a stupid comment or wrote a statemment that wasn't exactly true? So can we blame those who happen to have a bad first thread?
    I've seen Ali Baba creating nonsense threads like the one with his car project. But I had a laugh, and did not "bookmark" the member so I could flame him on a second thread.
    You guys have to be objective. He may have had some nonsense posts, but he has a point here. And although I can't imagine that documentary museum idea being build up here, the thread has a point. And a good one.

We need to grow up. If possible, together. The principle of a good web-based relationship, is to act like if you're facing the person to whom you're writting to. You guys should try that exercise every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Baba
    The Idea of creation of Motor Vehicles documentary museum,is more acceptable to other type of forum&forum audience,as You may've been noticed from other replies,too many are immature folks.From such,one can't anticipate much.
    I don't know how serious you are with that idea, but it would be a fantastic one. But one that I can only imagine being rased by some sort of foundation and with the help of many contributors uninsterested in profit. If there was such a place near me, I would be glad to donate the hundreds of magazines I own, to be able to share them with other enthusiasts. It's a very interesting idea. But, as I said before, I think it would only be possible with the help of uninterested donors.

But good ideas generate good ideas, and this is what I thought: It would be possible and interesting for us to make a documentary section in UCP forums, using scans of magazines we own with articles of common interest, about classic or special cars. We could even fill it like we do with the Hi-res: someone asks for an article about a certain car and we try to find it in our magazine or book collection.

I'd like to know your oppinions.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali Baba
    1st assumption that I've is that anyone that interested in classic motor vehicle is also not only preservationist(if 've the financial means to do so),
    2nd) some(like me for instance) are interested even in up to date&futuristic motor vehicles.
    Now here's the 'BOMB"
    3rd)Admittedly I could be wrong!,I tell it'up front' as I'm extremely skeptical.could anyone be interested to join MR X's efforts ,in an effort to create an intl. documentary museum about motor vehicles of any kind,make and model?,remember no.1 priority is MONEY,then the rest.
    Goddamn guys, he tries to start over and you make trouble. If you can't understand, the least you CAN be is polite.

Translation:

"Alright, I've looked around and I think that some people, who are classic motoring fans, aren't ONLY classic motoring fans but aer also interested in the concepts, futuristic stuff and what not. So I could be wrong, I'll admit. Anyone want to join me in making a huge car database (to be sold), with every single make and model? Remember, my first priority is the $$$, then anything else."

My answer: Um, we already have UCP for that...

There is a 'gang mentality' that forms, even in cyberspace, where certain members feel they need to protect the territory from newcomers. What you've said is correct; hopefully we can be a little more welcoming or at least accommodating of newcomers. Much like the 'egg-nog' requests issue.

I didn't know what to make of Ali baba's threads, so I just kept out. His vocabulary is above average yet the posts seem senseless. Was this intentional? If so, why? To flame? And then the multiple languages. OK, maybe he is trying to say that he's literate and just not very good at English, but it just came across as confrontational, at least insincere.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    But good ideas generate good ideas, and this is what I thought: It would be possible and interesting for us to make a documentary section in UCP forums, using scans of magazines we own with articles of common interest, about classic or special cars. We could even fill it like we do with the Hi-res: someone asks for an article about a certain car and we try to find it in our magazine or book collection.

This is an interesting idea. Maybe a sticky thread for iconic cars; (i.e. BMW 2002, Corvette) where scans of special material and articles can be collected.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

ok, like other Ali Baba post, it's a bit hard to read, and if you don't speak english, i recommend going to one that speaks your 1st language.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Welcome(Markhaba in Arabic)

Is there anybody who really looked at Ali's first post. It's really easy to throw mud at somebody who's English skills aren't 100%, but I haven't seen any serious answers to the questions (except for my own). Now come back to classic cars and go for the subject!

The questions are:
    Dear Mr.Horst.(Sehr geherter Herr Horst,Cher Monsieur Horst):
    You're among the most mature responders here,and You just got it right,notice the change,that you crated(or helped Me to achieve).
    Poppies.popies.Popayan!

Uma casa Portuguesa!(a Porto).

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    I'm really sorry to write this, but I'm truly disapointed with most of our long-time forum members who wrote in this thread.
    As many of you may know, I run a portuguese automotive forum, for portuguese enthusiasts and sometimes I find it harder to understand some members there who write in my native language than it is to understand Ali Baba.

There are two behaviour problems in this forums, and they are both very clear in this thread:

1st one: Lazyness

Everyone here seems to hate minimal efforts. There are those who don't like to read horizontal posts, there are those who prefer to post links to links instead of copying the original adress and finally, there are those who are too busy to read a post 2 times to understand it's meaning.
    If I were the only one to get the meaning of Ali Baba's questions, I woulnd't bother writting this, but there were ate least 2 more members who understood the intention. Not easy to understand him? Sure, I totally agree and I believe he can and will improve his writting has his vocabulary is not poor. And Ali Baba should mind that and try to better it. But that's no reason to flame him and to write childish posts.

2nd one: The joy of flaming.

It's been discussed here many times and even more on the Mod Forums. Everyone here who has more than say, 1.000 posts, thinks he's gained an authority to speak to newcomers as if they were a lesser species. Sure Ali Baba likes to play around a bit with us. But this is not even about him. It's about every new member that happens to make a clumsy first thread. After that, this looks like a kindergarden with a non-stopping row of laughing stone throwers in an exercise of masturbating humour, with jokes to friends and harsh words to the recent arrivals, never minding the possibility that behind the new nickname, there may be a nice person.
    Wich one of us here as never wrote a stupid comment or wrote a statemment that wasn't exactly true? So can we blame those who happen to have a bad first thread?
    I've seen Ali Baba creating nonsense threads like the one with his car project. But I had a laugh, and did not "bookmark" the member so I could flame him on a second thread.
    You guys have to be objective. He may have had some nonsense posts, but he has a point here. And although I can't imagine that documentary museum idea being build up here, the thread has a point. And a good one.

We need to grow up. If possible, together. The principle of a good web-based relationship, is to act like if you're facing the person to whom you're writting to. You guys should try that exercise every once in a while.

I don't know how serious you are with that idea, but it would be a fantastic one. But one that I can only imagine being rased by some sort of foundation and with the help of many contributors uninsterested in profit. If there was such a place near me, I would be glad to donate the hundreds of magazines I own, to be able to share them with other enthusiasts. It's a very interesting idea. But, as I said before, I think it would only be possible with the help of uninterested donors.

My dear Porttuguese Friend:
    Your reply show some insight,many times,I was delibrately presenting a cofrontational& controversial views,in order to see the hypothetic outcome,May be You even noticed that I 'fabricated' aq new extremely humble'Identity',it's all for sake of thesis in Psychology/psychoanalysis,and I was right,As You may understand,regardless of race,nationality,etc. human beings are alike in many ways,best way to describe it,it's the various steps on the ladder,known in psychology as:cognitive development of maturity,some folks,in spite of age,stay fixed in a lower lever of maturity of the cognition ladder(lower rungs of the ladder),Typically they're the 'bullying type', Here in cyberspace it's known as 'cyber bully',,Versus that,There are fokls like You&Mr. Horst,that are more mature,Therefore on a higher rung on that proverbial ladder's rung.Such folks are usually high achievers,as they get along humanely with folks around them,even in real life.
    As You may notice since this thread,I put more emphasis,about my matutity aspects,and often for the fun of it...sprinkled some'salt' for the'fishes' to'bite' on(as a bait),Which they did!,however,Now We came up with a mutual help to an higher level of a more civilized exchange.
    By The Way,I'm extremely serious about creation of the"Intl.transport vehicles documentary museum",And You offer it's a kind one,I must admit however,that realistically speaking,since it has to be stored,storage cost money,and here in Southern california prices are not only uncontrolled legally,but 'skyrocketing to the stratosphere'("Stratospheric"),The facts are thatb the local capitalists are so greedy,that their greed for more money,de evaluate the buying power of the currency.So I hope,That I don't soung greedy,but realistic,And among other humanitarian projects that I started,that's9as strange as it may sound) it's the very least of my intended contribution for humanity.(And I'm not bragging about my deeds,just try to make folks aware of the facts).
    And thank You for your support!.
    Poppies.popies.Popayan!

Ali;

When you say dollars are your 1st prioity do you mean that you need dollars to set it up, or that you intend to produce a big profit from it?

If the later, is there a solid business plan or is it still at the Underpants Gnomes stage?
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Wrong 'recommendation'

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    ok, like other Ali Baba post, it's a bit hard to read, and if you don't speak english, i recommend going to one that speaks your 1st language.
    This kind of post is utter nonesense,So far We all communicated very well.
    Poppies.popies.Popayan!

Isn't it logical?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    Ali;

When you say dollars are your 1st prioity do you mean that you need dollars to set it up, or that you intend to produce a big profit from it?

If the later, is there a solid business plan or is it still at the Underpants Gnomes stage?
    Logic dictate,unfortunately,that any action as such requires financial background,I'm not greedy,and have no interest,or needs for others money,I'm well set,However,If I start a humanitarian project/s,it's logical to appeal to humanity to pitch in,as I'm not a"millionaire",besides it's project for humanity,I do have a plan,but plan without money(or Funds)'s useless.
    Poppies.popies.Popayan!

Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    Goddamn guys, he tries to start over and you make trouble. If you can't understand, the least you CAN be is polite.

Translation:

"Alright, I've looked around and I think that some people, who are classic motoring fans, aren't ONLY classic motoring fans but aer also interested in the concepts, futuristic stuff and what not. So I could be wrong, I'll admit. Anyone want to join me in making a huge car database (to be sold), with every single make and model? Remember, my first priority is the $$$, then anything else."

My answer: Um, we already have UCP for that...
    I like to congratulate you,about your progress,I really,not 'dstarting over',but
    'evolving' or My posts are evolving,but Your supportive attitude this time,shows that You're evolving upward at long last,so i like to say:Congratulations!.
    Poppies.popies.Popayan!

To some extent You analyzed it right!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    There is a 'gang mentality' that forms, even in cyberspace, where certain members feel they need to protect the territory from newcomers. What you've said is correct; hopefully we can be a little more welcoming or at least accommodating of newcomers. Much like the 'egg-nog' requests issue.

I didn't know what to make of Ali baba's threads, so I just kept out. His vocabulary is above average yet the posts seem senseless. Was this intentional? If so, why? To flame? And then the multiple languages. OK, maybe he is trying to say that he's literate and just not very good at English, but it just came across as confrontational, at least insincere.

This is an interesting idea. Maybe a sticky thread for iconic cars; (i.e. BMW 2002, Corvette) where scans of special material and articles can be collected.
    To some extent You analyzed it right!,There was a gang mentality in play here(The dynamics of 'us against him'),but You noticed maybe,that I was in total control...almost,About My English,realistically speaking,while we all need to constantly improve,it never been the issue,unless some 'flamers' decided to dwell on it,I never failed to acknowledge the fact that I'm not a person,who
    make his living from writting,while it's important to write well,it's never been more important then the topic(subject)at hand,So way make an issue out of it?.With limited knowledge of many languages,I lived in many countries,and I survived.So now admittedly,My English is only the excuse that folks on different forums on the internet uses,in order'to flame' someone,who expresses (or:Expressed)unpopular opinion/s.So please don't let it distract You.
    Poppies.popies.Popayan!

Bedanke!

Why not go back to the original question. We all know Ali's language is not 100% corect (intentional mistake) but I got the picture. Maybe because I;m no native English speaker either.

Classic Car enthusiasts tend to preserve all old, odd parts they can find, and put it in their garage (some also fill the rest of their home with it, I know of somebody where you have to climb over a couple of motorcycles to reach the kitchen, engine blocks being stored in the toilet!). The rest of their house often is filled with books, brochures, parts catalogues, magazines and the likes. Some also have an additional collection of miniature cars. So, maybe preservationalist isn't the right word, but these guys really keep what they lay their hands on!

About your museum: It's logical to want to share all literature etc. you have with the rest of the wordl in some sort of museum or study centre. There are already several, for example the Bugatti Trust in England, where they have a few cars and parts on show, but the most interesting part of the collection is all paper!

Than there are collections as part of a car museum. In the Netherlands we have NCAD: The National Collection of Automobile Documentation: http://www.ncad.info/site/

So: Ali's question about such a museum is a good one, though maybe a little difficult to understand.

Of course, an other perfect place to share your collection and other info with others is on the internet!

http://www.BugattiPage.com
    Heer Jaap Horst van het Nederlads!:
    Bedanke!(You're the cleverest one)!,I also visited Your Bugattipage,website,I was lucky in My lifetime to see many Bugatti cars,as well as other classic French cars,like Hotchkiss(ex Tank mfr.)"delahaye,etc,I think that some models of Voisin looks like Bugatti(I suspect that'voisin' is body mfr.).
    Poppies.popies.Popayan!

Thread Information