Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 81

Thread: On the subject of Marijuana "addiction"...

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4,032
    The term 'Canadian style' is news to me

    Lots of ostensibly unaddictive things can be 'addictive' to certain people. Eg sex, or exercise, buying shoes to excess or being in an abusive relationship. So addiction is not purely related to a substance

    I've seen/known plenty of people who abused and overused cannabis enough that you'd categorise it as dependancy (this without tobacco) while other users go through life unaffected. So I guess its down to the individual user and how susceptible they are (or make themselves vulnerable to) addiction - whatever that may be

    There are some very interesting discoveries currently being made about genes, in particular 'addiction genes' which make certain people vulnerable to various addictions. So its not all just psychological. Some people through their genes are physically at greater risk of being addicted to alcohol, or to nicotine, and there might be a particular gene that makes some of us especially vulnerable to a combination of alcohol & nicotine

    Btw to anyone who smokes dope but is not yet addicted to nicotine, please don't mix them. Combining the two is a sure fire way into tobacco addiction

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    For Tax Purposes, Cayman Islands
    Posts
    14,581
    The difference being that Marijuana is a depressant instead of a stimulant.

    most people with ADD (I think it's a bit of a joke myself - it's about self discipline, to be drugged up because your a bit hyper is stupid and a quick out) live normal lives. the effects of Marijuana on an individual can be devastating.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4,032
    Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    I was viewing a TV program called 'Insight' here in Australia, it's a Debate-type program where a group of people come to voice their opinion on an issue. most of the Young people in the Audience were under the impression that Weed was the least harmful of the big 4 (Tobacco, Alcohol, Meth and Weed) that affect youth today. Its right up there because it can lead to long-term side effects mentally. they spoke to a Mental health nurse (Part of the reason we were watching it - My mother used to be a mental health nurse) and she was saying how she deals daily with heavy users who have lost mental capacity because of the altering effects of the drug.
    Watching too much television can also lead to long-term side effects mentally

    Pardon me for straight talking, but anyone who believes that the personal risks imposed by Tobacco Meth or Alchohol use is as 'right up there' as using Marijuana, is 'right out there' imo. That view is propaganda, not fact

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    For Tax Purposes, Cayman Islands
    Posts
    14,581
    Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Watching too much television can also lead to long-term side effects mentally

    Pardon me for straight talking, but anyone who believes that the personal risks imposed by Tobacco Meth or Alchohol use is as 'right up there' as using Marijuana, is 'right out there' imo. That view is propaganda, not fact
    You're entitled to your opinion.

    If you seriously think a Mind-altering drug does not have equal or worse long-term effects than these proven killers, I happen to think you're wrong.

    And wheres the proof that Too much TV alters your mind? It's a channel based thing, you realise
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Rice, Virginia
    Posts
    1,870
    "canadian style" is the only way I've ever used/heard of in joint rolling...I mean, I've used a hukkah (sp?) with layered tobacco and marijuana, but never anything else

    as for addiction, I agree it's more of the life style that one becomes "addicted" to
    pondering things

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Coldenflat
    Posts
    4,557
    Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    The difference being that Marijuana is a depressant instead of a stimulant.

    most people with ADD (I think it's a bit of a joke myself - it's about self discipline, to be drugged up because your a bit hyper is stupid and a quick out) live normal lives. the effects of Marijuana on an individual can be devastating.
    ADD meds quite literally do screw people up. I for one, will say that due to personal experience. I do however, know people, for whom meds work like a dream - off it, they are ADD, and totally out of control, whatever comes to their head is what they do, but on it, they can sit down and work for hours on end, whenever they want. It really depends on how you react to meds. However, I say that if a kid doesn't respond all too well to meds, DON'T LEAVE HIM ON THEM for the next decade.....(sorry, I get worked up about this, lol)
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    5,773
    Another question:

    With this, I kinda wonder how much general social acceptance plays into the concept of maturity. Do you guys seem to notice a lot of people in your area who use marijuana totally irresponsibly? The vast majority of users I've met around Vancouver use it infrequently and are generally pretty responsible as far as things like this go. I get the impression that it's fairly similar in Holland. (Wouter, correct me if I'm wrong!).

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    hamilton, ontario, canada
    Posts
    792
    I did a project on this, with marjiuana, the main chemicle is THC (tetrahydracannibanol) (spelling?) but that substance has no properties of a physical addiction, where the addiction comes from is mental, when the user abuses the substance the become "bored" with reality and therefore find it nessisary to try and be high as often as possible
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on


    "Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    For Tax Purposes, Cayman Islands
    Posts
    14,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Another question:

    With this, I kinda wonder how much general social acceptance plays into the concept of maturity. Do you guys seem to notice a lot of people in your area who use marijuana totally irresponsibly? The vast majority of users I've met around Vancouver use it infrequently and are generally pretty responsible as far as things like this go. I get the impression that it's fairly similar in Holland. (Wouter, correct me if I'm wrong!).
    The few People I see using weed are most definately using it irresponsibly, without supervision or thought of the consequences.

    It's quite disappointing because many of them are reasonably smart people who should know better.

    The main issue is cost - when people can afford it they go all out.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    5,773
    Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    The few People I see using weed are most definately using it irresponsibly, without supervision or thought of the consequences.

    It's quite disappointing because many of them are reasonably smart people who should know better.

    The main issue is cost - when people can afford it they go all out.
    Seriously? Woah... that's an entirely different scenario than I'm used to seeing. Interesting, it does help bring to light a little more of our different perspectives. I can see how it would piss you off. I hate being around the type of people who do little else but smoke weed, but luckily I rarely see them. The one thing that's always bothered me the most is when people heavily smoke (or smoke at all) during the school or university terms.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    For Tax Purposes, Cayman Islands
    Posts
    14,581
    They do a lot else than smoke weed, it's just when they do it's all their into. for like 3 days.

    Term smoking is almost non-existant, so I can imagine it's one of those 'it's the school holidays, I'm having fun, dammit' scenario.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    670
    I have not heard the term "Canadian Style" either. For that matter, I believe that when you put tobacco in weed it could get you addicted to tobacco obviously, but not the weed. Admittedly i have both smoked weed in a joint with just weed and with tobacco. The only reason I can think of for adding tobacco is to highten the high. From experience and from word of mouth I also notice the same thing but that does not mean that tobacco has to be smoked with weed. i'd prefer not but just for the fact that I dislike ciggarettes. I also have not heard(not just me making it up, actual research on my part to know what weed does to my brain) that weed is addictive in any way physically. But yes, maybe in the case of a hard-core marijuana smoker they could feel that they 'need' it but it is NOT the same type of addiction. One is mental and one is physical, ciggarettes being the latter.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4,032
    Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    If you seriously think a Mind-altering drug does not have equal or worse long-term effects than these proven killers, I happen to think you're wrong.
    Do you happen to think that pot users are more liable to aggression and violent psychosis than meth users? Do more pot smokers die from cancers than tobacco smokers? I suppose more women get bashed by stoned partners than drunk partners, and more road deaths are caused by marijuana than booze



    Most of my schoolfriends smoked dope. Many of them have been smoking it for over thirty years now, yet this hasn't stopped them from atttaining 'high' positions (excuse the pun) within business and the public service, some in very senior positions

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    For Tax Purposes, Cayman Islands
    Posts
    14,581
    Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Do you happen to think that pot users are more liable to aggression and violent psychosis than meth users? Do more pot smokers die from cancers than tobacco smokers? I suppose more women get bashed by stoned partners than drunk partners, and more road deaths are caused by marijuana than booze

    Most of my schoolfriends smoked dope. Many of them have been smoking it for over thirty years now, yet this hasn't stopped them from atttaining 'high' positions (excuse the pun) within business and the public service, some in very senior positions
    Do they get violent? Yes.
    Do (Heavy) users enter psychosis? Yes.
    Do they Hit Women? Yes.
    Do they eventually get cancer? Anyone who breathes in harmful substances enough is bound to, why should this be any different?
    It's the same as ANY mind altering, breathed in drug - it's going to cause changes in mood which can make the most rational person do the stupidest things.

    Congratulations to your friends for moderation. I'm not trying to stop the use of Marijuana, I just happen to think that if you're going to smoke it you must first understand that it can, potentially, be harmful.

    We don't know how many road deaths are caused by Marijuana compared with Alcohol because few studies (If any) have been undertaken to find out the numbers. no doubt the social acceptability of Alcohol means more people use it, however.

    I wonder if their employers know about their drug use - My father is also fairly high up in the public service, and is entirely clean (believe me, I've checked) save for the odd beer/red wine glass. Marijuana is still illegal for a reason - because it can't be regulated to a level where the effects can be properly tested.

    That and the government still doesn't get a cut in it's sale (The Cynic in me rears it's ugly head)

    IMHO (i'm emphasising that) I don't like weed because i'm a bit of a control freak. I don't get drunk, I don't smoke and I don't take drugs because if i'm having a good time I want to be in control of it and wish to remember events the following day.

    If you (And your friends) can regulate your use thats fine, it's a free country (As i've said, I'm not going to stand in your way) but I'm not going to get involved.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    5,773
    IB4R, I appreciate your open-mindedness but I don't know where the hell you're coming from on that last post. I've never seen or heard of any users of any kind going through true psychosis, let alone getting violent or hitting women.

    What's that about? If there's one thing that smoking pot doesn't do, it's making a person violent. I've also never heard a single case relating marijuana to cancer, so while I still think it's a possibility during heavy use, I'd be interested to see some real-world proof.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Truth about Drugs
    By shr0olvl in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 04-15-2005, 06:23 PM
  2. What is your worst/hardest subject?
    By spi-ti-tout in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 12-13-2004, 06:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •