Thread: TVR Blackpool Factory Shutting down :(

TVR Blackpool Factory Shutting down :(

Fresh uncertainty surrounds the future of sportscar manufacturer TVR after it said it would quit its Blackpool factory within six months.

The firm - which has temporarily laid off more than a quarter of its 260 staff - said it was unable to guarantee the future of its remaining workforce.

However, TVR insisted that it would not close and said its Russian owner was committed to the company's future.

Union officials said the news was "devastating" for workers.

Established in 1947, TVR is Britain's largest independent sportscar owner and was bought by Russian tycoon Nikolai Smolensky in 2004
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4939224.stm

A great, great shame. I giggled that BBC News could not spell Smolenki though

Wow, quite a shock... I guess the wrong russian tycoon bought it...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

It will be beneficial for the company. At least that is the target. I would prefer better TVRs from a different factory than poor TVRs from the Blackpool factory.

I presume that the reason for laying off people is because they have equipment that is not labour intensive.

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight
    It will be beneficial for the company. At least that is the target. I would prefer better TVRs from a different factory than poor TVRs from the Blackpool factory.

I presume that the reason for laying off people is because they have equipment that is not labour intensive.
    But the period where they are making the transition from the factory to a new factory will have the ability to break the marque completley. Afterall, there will be no money coming in and a lot being spent on development for the new factory. I won't be surprised if this is what ends TVR. They'll be back, but not anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    But the period where they are making the transition from the factory to a new factory will have the ability to break the marque completley. Afterall, there will be no money coming in and a lot being spent on development for the new factory. I won't be surprised if this is what ends TVR. They'll be back, but not anytime soon.
    Any company investing on new equipment has increased cash flow requirements. It's nothing strange. That's why loans exist, to help companies undertake new invetments.

TVR management believes that the investment will pay off and the future will be better.

One thing is for sure. TVR must update its cars, as they are all differentiated versions of the same chassis. As much as I like TVR, I don't want them to end up like Marcos. Before the TSO, they had the same chassis for 20+ years.

I hope that TVR can survive this, I was hoping I could see them make a return to the US.

Any company investing on new equipment has increased cash flow requirements. It's nothing strange. That's why loans exist, to help companies undertake new invetments.

TVR management believes that the investment will pay off and the future will be better.

One thing is for sure. TVR must update its cars, as they are all differentiated versions of the same chassis. As much as I like TVR, I don't want them to end up like Marcos. Before the TSO, they had the same chassis for 20+ years.
    But there is no problem with TVR's current chassis. This is clearly evident in the Sagaris, which corners amazingly and handles the power just fine.

Hey, Morgan is using chassis from the 15th Century and they have like 2 year waiting lists!

As for now, it doesn't sound that bad. The 30-year leasing period for the Blackpool factory has finished, and they chose to move to a new place rather than renew the lease. That Russian guy probably has enough money to secure such a move.
    What bothers me more is that they had to lay off 1/4 of the workforce because od decreasing demand. I wonder why that's happening. They're building probably the best cars in their history, and a quite extensive range of them, even if they're all just derivatives of one car. (At least that's my impression, I did'nt look into technical details that much).
    Oh, BTW:
    Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    I giggled that BBC News could not spell Smolenki though
    His name is Smolensky. Of course it's a matter of transliteration into latin alphabet, it could as well be written as Smolen'ski, but it ends with "ski" ("sky" for you used to english pronounciation).
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel
    As for now, it doesn't sound that bad. The 30-year leasing period for the Blackpool factory has finished, and they chose to move to a new place rather than renew the lease. That Russian guy probably has enough money to secure such a move.
    What bothers me more is that they had to lay off 1/4 of the workforce because od decreasing demand. I wonder why that's happening.
    not many people buy rear wheel drive sports cars in winter in Britain !!!
    There is also lots of competition in the market and fuel costs are perhaps affecting ALL sales of performacne cars ?? ( We're back at £1/gall in Scotland )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    not many people buy rear wheel drive sports cars in winter in Britain !!!
    why not? wouldn't that be the best time to get a good deal? sort of like people here getting a pool installed over winter?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    why not? wouldn't that be the best time to get a good deal? sort of like people here getting a pool installed over winter?
    Yeah but if you were insane enough to drive it ( and how do you get it home ? ) then chances are on the first ice/slush/crappy road that it woudl spin out Then it sits itn teh garage saygin "drive me" every day that you can't. .... Bound to cave adn go take it out with hte resultant risk of an off
    We dont' tend to see swings in price in the UK. So for example nobody every really TRIES to sell a convertible in winter, they'll hold on to it till Spring. Might be a cultural thing.
    Selling cars below costs is NOT a clever idea -- as GM still seem not to realise.
    Sometimes it's better NOT to sell with no profit and use other ways to manage the business.
    Small volume manufacturers have always run "flexible staffing".
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information