Thread: AutoExpres UK 2006. Honda S2000 top of the chart for second year.

AutoExpres UK 2006. Honda S2000 top of the chart for second year.

from http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/65...p_10_cars.html

Driver Power 2006: top 10 cars

hese are the top 10 cars from Auto Express's Driver Power 2006 survey. The survey's 46,000 contributors generated over three-and-a-half million pieces of data, independently verified, to create the most comprehensive and impartial overview of the motoring industry.
    Shocked isn't the word! The top 10 cars are produced by only four manufacturers: BMW, Lexus, Skoda and Honda. Clearly they know something the others don't...
    10 BMW 5-Series (new)
    "Generally good, although many minor niggles when compared with the previous 5-Series. I have an M Sport model, and the internal aluminium trim is very tacky."
    Colin Hursell, Hampshire
    9 BMW X5
    "The X5 is a fantastic motor. It's very practical, while still being fun to drive and fast enough to surprise most other cars - mine is the 4.8iS version, and I love it."
    Edward Ramsden, Buckinghamshire
    8 BMW 5-Series (old
    "Awesome car. I'm a big fan of the 5-Series and I've owned five. The 1999 model I have now is good for what it cost, but I've got my eye on the latest version."
    Mohsin Ali, North Yorkshire
    7 Lexus IS
    "Even though it's the old model, it still looks good and has great road presence. I really love my IS200 - it makes my daily commute much more enjoyable."
    Chris Reay, London
    6 Skoda Octavia (old)
    "Absolutely excellent and far better than Ford and Vauxhall equivalents. Underrated by most people, although the laugh is on them, because I know my car is far better."
    Andrew Dalziel, Aberdeen
    5 Skoda Fabia
    Stephen Brown, Hampshire
    project manager Stephen has been hugely impressed by his Fabia's abilities. Not that he gets to drive it too much any more, as cheap insurance and 50mpg economy have also made the car the perfect transport for his son, Greg (right). "With Greg going to university soon, we are considering an Octavia," Brown senior says. "The Fabia's been so good, I'd be happy to look at the larger model."
    Philip Brown, Lincoln
    Opting for the versatile estate version, Philip can't fault the Skoda's practicality. "The Fabia's boot isn't much smaller than the new Octavia estate's," he explains. He previously owned a Vauxhall Meriva, which he'd chosen only as a dealership was nearby. However, he urges others not to be put off if there isn't a local Skoda sales centre: "I travel 50 miles to the Skoda dealer, but the service is so good, it's worth it."
    4 Honda Accord
    Richard Mullans, Middlesex
    If there's one man who's well qualified to say what makes a good car, it's Richard. He works as a full-time delivery driver, regularly pounding up and down motorways in a variety of different cars. "I've driven everything in Honda's range countless times," he explains. And needless to say, the Accord is one of his favourites. "I love these cars - they're just such an absolute pleasure to drive," he says.
    Steve Hill, West Midlands
    When Honda added a diesel engine to its Accord range, it opened the model up to a massive market of cost-conscious company car drivers. Steve, a technical manager in the IT service industry, was keen to cash in, and got hold of his oil-burning Honda 16 months ago. He appreciates the interior gadgets, but would like a firmer steering feel and believes the vehicle definitely needs a heated windscreen.
    3 Honda Jazz
    Shelley Treble, Middlesex
    She'S yet to spend much time behind the wheel of the Jazz, but Shelley is already smitten. The school teacher has to shift plenty of books and folders as well as bulky display work, and loves the model's practicality. "The way the seats fold is just so easy, and the flat load floor is great for sliding things in and out. I'm used to driving older cars, so the Jazz's light controls and precise gearbox are a revelation," she explains.
    Simon Gittus, Staffordshire
    If you spent your student days driving a rust bucket, prepare to be jealous. Simon studies at Nottingham University, where Honda is the envy of all his friends. "It is an unusual car for a student - everyone else has Corsas, but the Jazz is much better," he tells us. "I went to art college last year and I fitted in all my equipment easily." Proof that Honda might be meeting its target of appealing to a younger market...
    2 Skoda Octavia (new)
    Dan Walton, Nottingham
    Sales representative Dan is used to fighting his corner when it comes to his Octavia. "People get fed-up with me going on about the ride and handling, but it really is absolutely excellent," he says. And has he been bothered by the Skoda image? He tells us: "When I chose the car, people started asking me if I wasn't doing so well with my sales. But once they've been in it, they soon change their mind."
    Malcolm Wilton, Surrey
    Drivers probably don't come much more demanding than Malcolm, but he's met his match with an Octavia. The office manager covers 20,000 miles annually and has always struggled to find cars up to the job in the past. "The Skoda is basically a VW, but much better value," he points out. "I opted for the 1.9-litre model because of its economy, and I've always preferred diesels, anyway."
    1 Honda S2000
    What a record breaker! It's the S2000's second year at the top of the Driver Power chart, and the thrilling roadster has posted the highest score yet in the history of the survey.
    With a set of results that seems scarcely possible, the Honda has managed an overall average rating of 92.59 per cent. You tell us this is as close to perfect as a new vehicle can get, with your only complaint being a lowly 87th place ranking for practicality. It's no shock that fitting everything into an S2000 on a day-to-day basis has left owners frustrated.
    However, in every other respect, the Honda is among the most satisfying four-wheelers on the planet. The model has managed to scoop three gold medals and an incredible eight top five placings. So how has it managed it?
    Thanks to a mighty 237bhp race-bred powerplant, the roadster's high-revving performance provides a thrill a minute. The brakes are also first class, while the front-engined, rear-wheel-drive layout gives great handling balance. In Issue 852, we said: "We can see why owners love their Honda S2000s so much. The Japanese drop-top still looks good, and the manic performance of the VTEC engine and the thrilling handling impress." Less predictable is the Honda's fine cruising ability. You point out that once you've selected sixth gear on the motorway, the sports car soon becomes a relaxed mile-muncher, with a smooth ride and comfortable seats.
    What's more, drivers don't find the roadster intimidating. While there's no doubt that if you push the two-seater hard it will easily break into a slide, the short-shift gearbox and accurate steering inspire confidence.
    It's hard to see how the firm could improve the S2000 in its customers' eyes. An amazing 98 per cent of drivers said their car had lived up to expectations, but even better news for the Japanese marque is that 99 per cent said they would definitely buy another Honda. Ben Lyon, East Yorkshire
    Having owned a Renaultsport Clio 172 before buying his S2000, Ben is no stranger to performance cars. When the systems engineer took delivery of his Honda, one of the first things he did was take it to the Cad-well Park circuit in Lincolnshire. "I did a track day to get used to how a rear-wheel-drive car handles on the limit," he says. He's now got the bug, and the next stop is Germany and the Nürburgring circuit Tim Hewis, Lincolnshire
    As he's already made his pilgrimage to the Nürburgring, Tim is after only one thing from his S2000 - driving thrills. The factory worker is a member of the S2000 owners' club and a devoted fan of Honda's high-revving two-seater, covering 12,000 miles a year in it. In fact he's such an adrenaline junkie, he now wants something even more extreme! "A Lotus Elise would be even more focused," he says.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Interesting, MOTOR (an aussie Performance car mag), isn't really that keen on it. Don't like the handling, they reckon it's too taily. And it's the only car they ever spun doing speed testing (0-100kmh, 0-400m, Standing K, and top speed) at Avalon airport
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

The AutoExpress isnt' from journos.
    It's from real owners using their cars daily.
    Funny Oz comment as when the rear goes it's well blanced and easy to us the throttle to steer it. LOTS of feedback that the rear is going. Takes good throttle control to keep it fast and in line
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Congrats to the S2000 then! Shows how great Honda, BMW and Lexus are as automakers. I've never seen any cars from Skoda but I guess their quality would be pretty good too. I've always liked the S2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    The AutoExpress isnt' from journos.
    It's from real owners using their cars daily.
    Funny Oz comment as when the rear goes it's well blanced and easy to us the throttle to steer it. LOTS of feedback that the rear is going. Takes good throttle control to keep it fast and in line
    I'll scan the article if I can find it, but the comment they made was that the fastest way to corner it was slow in fast out, which was the complete opposite to the feel of the car
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information