Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Formula 1 Entrants Decided

2008 Formula 1 Entrants Decided

The 12 teams that will fill the grid for the 2008 F1 season and onwards was announced today, and it held no real suprises. There was only one spot up for grabs and that has been filled by David Richards' ProDrive outfit. This means disappointment for the likes of Paul Stoddart and Eddie Jordan. They had been hoping to return to Formula 1 with their own outfits, but that door now seems to have been closed.

David Richards has been boss at Benetton and more recently BAR-Honda so his experience and expertise is not an issue, and his company ProDrive have been at the pinnacle of motorsport in numerous guises. Most notably ProDrive masterminded Subaru's World Rally Championship successes in recent years, and also prepared class winning Ferrari 550 Maranello Le Mans cars.

2008 Entrants:

RENAULT
    Based: Enstone, Great Britain and Viry-Chatillion, France.
    First F1 start: 1977.
    Wins to date: 55 (27 as Benetton).
    Titles to date: 5 (Three as Benetton).

McLAREN
    Based: Woking, Great Britain.
    First F1 start: 1966.
    Wins to date: 148.
    Titles to date: 19.

FERRARIBased: Maranello, Italy.
    First F1 start: 1950.
    Wins to date: 184.
    Titles to date: 28.

TOYOTA
    Based: Cologne, Germany.
    First F1 start: 2002.
    Wins to date: 0.
    Titles to date: 0.

WILLIAMS
    Based: Grove, Great Britain.
    First F1 start: 1973.
    Wins to date: 113.
    Titles to date: 16.

HONDA
    Based: Brackley, Great Britain.
    First F1 start: 1964.
    Wins to date: 2.

RED BULL RACING
    Based: Milton Keynes, Great Britain.
    First F1 start: 1997 (as Stewart).
    Wins to date: 1 (as Stewart).

BMW-SAUBER
    Based: Hinwil, Switzerland and Munich, Germany.
    First F1 start: 1993 (as Sauber).

MIDLAND
    Based: Silverstone, Great Britain.
    First F1 start: 1991 (as Jordan).
    Wins to date: 4 (all as Jordan).

SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO
    Based: Faenza, Italy.
    First F1 start: 1985 (as Minardi).

SUPER AGURI
    Based: Leafield, Great Britain.
    First F1 start: 2006.

PRODRIVE
    Based: Banbury, Great Britain.
    First F1 start: n/a.
    Wins to date: n/a.
    Titles to date: n/a.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

A big shame they didn't let others enter Wasn't the point of the reformations to attract more teams and not just one ?

All the british based teams are based in a 40 mile radius from my house...
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

This would imply that Renault is staying for 2007 and that most certainly Alonso's decision to switch to McLaren will come bite him where the sun don't shine.

Drivers, start your lawyers, as I declare the silly season for Renault seats wide open!!!
    Zag when they Zig

Why did they cap the number of teams? Makes no sense, I thought they wanted more competition and money?

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver
    Why did they cap the number of teams? Makes no sense, I thought they wanted more competition and money?
    Grid size is limited by some of the tracks for safety.
    Pre-qualifying is now not considered a good idea -- it takes up more precious track time with no real interst for viewers ( so no revenue ).
    There won't be any more money in running EXTRA sessions.
    You couldn't start a quali session on an F1 circuit with 60 cars trying to get through Never mind find the pit space !!!!!
    I'd like to see it return but I guess Super-Aguri, Torro Rosso , Red Bull Racing and even BMW and Toyota wouldnt' be happy if they didn't make the grid for the race with their big sponsors
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Grid size is limited by some of the tracks for safety.
    Pre-qualifying is now not considered a good idea -- it takes up more precious track time with no real interst for viewers ( so no revenue ).
    There won't be any more money in running EXTRA sessions.
    You couldn't start a quali session on an F1 circuit with 60 cars trying to get through Never mind find the pit space !!!!!
    I'd like to see it return but I guess Super-Aguri, Torro Rosso , Red Bull Racing and even BMW and Toyota wouldnt' be happy if they didn't make the grid for the race with their big sponsors
    Super Aguri's only sponsor is Honda

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    Super Aguri's only sponsor is Honda
    Super Aguri's main sponsor is actually "Samantha Kingz", which is apparently some kind of fashion brand. They also have a couple of minor ones scattered about the bodywork too, and I'm sure if they can prove they're in it for hte long haul then the Japanese sponsorship money will come rolling in.

uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    Super Aguri's main sponsor is actually "Samantha Kingz", which is apparently some kind of fashion brand. They also have a couple of minor ones scattered about the bodywork too, and I'm sure if they can prove they're in it for hte long haul then the Japanese sponsorship money will come rolling in.

I would have known that if there was a little more coverage on the Aguris.

Direxiv see to be trying to make next years grid now rather than 08, meaning theyre up for the $48mill bond, and the knowledge Prodrive will take their place in 08. Maybe they'll try take Midlands spot if they get entry, as they still dont seem to be taking it seriously. Infact theres alot of doubt around Toyota in general continuing if their investment doesnt start showing results, so thats 2 potential teams that could be targeted.
    Last edited by fpv_gtho; 04-28-2006 at 10:17 PM.
    I am the Stig

If Midland can get some more results and a bigger budget I am sure they'll be in F1 for a while

And thats a good thing? I'd much rather see one of the 10 teams knocked back like Direxiv, Penske or Carlin Motorsport
    I am the Stig

Good to see that Prodrive is serious about this and waiting till 2008. Should be good to see what they can do. Does anybody have info about how far along their F1 program is, or have they yet to start anything?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Theyre waiting for planning permission for their new factory. Other than that i dunno whats going on. If they cant build the new factory, they'll work out of their existing one
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Direxiv see to be trying to make next years grid now rather than 08, meaning theyre up for the $48mill bond, and the knowledge Prodrive will take their place in 08. Maybe they'll try take Midlands spot if they get entry, as they still dont seem to be taking it seriously. Infact theres alot of doubt around Toyota in general continuing if their investment doesnt start showing results, so thats 2 potential teams that could be targeted.
    That seems like a fairly outlandish risk to be taking, spending $48million on the bond and then god only knows how many more millions developing a car when you don't even know if you'll be allowed to race for more than one season. I know it has been strongly rumoured in the past that the Direxiv project would effectively be a McLaren 'B' team helping develop new talent etc, but it doesn't seem in McLaren's nature to do something so bold and risky.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Thread Information