Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW's new twin-turbo Six

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    There's not so many of that on them presently. Maybe noise outside is still annoying, but vibration and harshness are gone.
    Yes but petrol engines still are more refined, have a wider usable rev range (usually), and are more exciting to trash around. For some reason we're called pterolheads...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Yes but petrol engines still are more refined, have a wider usable rev range (usually), and are more exciting to trash around.
    I doubt that this cars will be "trashed around". They don't appeal much to the potential M3 lovers. It's more a GT than a sports car. Unfortunately...
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Volvo

How efficiently the turbo charger is working inTRucks/

Quote Originally Posted by veeroo13 View Post
    How efficiently the turbo charger is working inTRucks/

i don't understand?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

The principal factors for choosing a TT design was for efficiency, emissions, and drivability. The engine feels like a much much bigger engine without actually being one. 300HP+ is NA 5L+ V8 territory and they are doing that with a 3L I6.

Its an idea that the americans would benefit greatly from following.

As JC said "How do americans get so little power out of such a big engine!?"
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    As JC said "How do americans get so little power out of such a big engine!?"
    while JC>all i think this will be contested. I dont mean to be biased in any way but i met another American today who again complained about the small roads and cars in UK, and that where she lives they would be use.
    autozine.org

Each to his own.

Variety ftw.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by perfadv
    They say here the smaller units react more quickly. Any insight into why they chose to go with the turbos separately feeding 3 cylinders each and not a sequential arrangement. Sequential twin-turbos are supposed to rid of 'turbo lag' and also provide quick reaction at low RPM, with a quick to spool small turbo and offer big power with a larger turbo for high RPM.
    They didn't want that much power, bigger number would undercut the numbers produced by the upcoming M3 and lessen it's impact.

Apparently it already produces more than is claimed.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite View Post
    They didn't want that much power, bigger number would undercut the numbers produced by the upcoming M3 and lessen it's impact.

Apparently it already produces more than is claimed.
    and like any turbo engine, power can easily be increased...
    (or should I say Torque?)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    while JC>all i think this will be contested. I dont mean to be biased in any way but i met another American today who again complained about the small roads and cars in UK, and that where she lives they would be use.
    I think this has more to do with economy then the actual specific power of the cars.

Just look at the lambo gallardo superleggera and the dodge viper.

the gallardo gets a whopping 105.24hp/l and the viper only gets 71.43hp/l (which is the same as a Fiat Panda 100HP).

But this is getting off topic...

So:

BMW 335i has at least 102hp/l according to factory specs but the real world shows that they actually make even more power than that.

I am glad that BMW is finally putting out cars with high power engines in the 3 series (300HP used to be 5L V12 territory a little while ago)
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it

the viper only gets 71.43hp/l (which is the same as a Fiat Panda 100HP).
    But the Panda costs ten times less...
    Visca Catalunya!

300HP+ is NA 5L+ V8 territory and they are doing that with a 3L I6.
    Going off-track here, but 300hp is quickly becoming the norm of a 4L engine. Even BMW's own NA V8's are getting something like 320hp from a 4.5L engine.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    Going off-track here, but 300hp is quickly becoming the norm of a 4L engine. Even BMW's own NA V8's are getting something like 320hp from a 4.5L engine.
    I think Audi is curretnly leading the way with their FSI 4.2-litre V8 which has 350bhp. That's 84,1bhp/litre.

EDIT Even more impressive is BMW's normally aspirated straight six, the 3-litre has 272bhp. That's 90,8bhp/litre.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    EDIT Even more impressive is BMW's normally aspirated straight six, the 3-litre has 272bhp. That's 90,8bhp/litre.
    BMW's R6 engine has an amazing technical development, i find it one of the most inspiring engines as an engineer.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    BMW's R6 engine has an amazing technical development, i find it one of the most inspiring engines as an engineer.
    Agreed!

Thread Information