Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: drafting to save fuel

drafting to save fuel

simple

200+ km trip from my house to london ontario

10l of gas consumed

average speed around 120-130 km, following 2 seconds behind a a pickup truck for half the distance

same trip (backwards) that night without drafting, av speed around 130-140 km, atleast 70% more fuel consumed (reading from gas guage so it's not exactly accurate)

btw the car was a 2001 corolla rated at 8l/100km
    but we've never hit that mark in the history of the car

The bottom half of fuel as displayed by fuel gauges always seems to decrease faster. You should experiment using the topping-off method for better consumption calculation.

Also, I think following 2 seconds behind at 120 Kms would be too much distance, so outside the draft zone.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

A pickup truck isn't going to punch a hole in the air big enough for a Toyota Corolla to draft it at 2 seconds gap. Maybe... And I stress maybe... a tractor trailer. But even then, I think at lower speeds you'd have to be really close.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Behind a lorry there is a 4-6 seconds large gap,so not too hard to stay in there. I used it a few times with lorries overtaking me on my bike, it really increased my speed with 10-15 km !!! Not undagerous though...

So you tailgated someone driving way over the limit for over 200kms? Wow, smart.

Personally I've found the best fuel consumption is generally at around 105km/h, at least in my old 944 and Jetta. Above that aerodynamics and revs take a serious toll. You could easily get that 8 liter/100km mark in your Corolla if you found the "ideal" speed.
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 05-06-2006 at 01:58 AM.

2 seconds is nowhere near enough of a safe gap at 120-130kmh. If the pickup truck hit the brakes suddenly you'd be in the back of it. Drafting is one of the least safe things you can ever do on the road, especially behind large vehicles as you can't see round them to give yourself more time to stop potential hazards. Oh, and 200km, with 10l consumed, is 5l/100km.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    2 seconds is nowhere near enough of a safe gap at 120-130kmh.
    The reason the "2 second rule" is promoted is because it works INDEPENDANT of speed. So at faster speeds their is a BIGGER GAP.
    As long as you're not day-dreaming the 2 sceond gap is fine for a decent car and driver IN THE DRY !!!!
    An original Mini on drum brakes is another issue
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I understand how the X-second gap idea works, but I was always taught at least 3 seconds, more at higher speeds. Either way, it's quite a stupid idea to draft other vehicles
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

The 2 (3) second rule is for an average car with an average driver. It shouldn't be the same for a capable driver in a capable car. I know the rule is for the general public, but I don't consider it craazzyy tailgaiting. Just MHO.

Not that a Corolla is at Porsche levels, but if you have proper tires and brakepads, being at 2 secs from an average car shouldn't be much of a problem. Furthermore, most probable is that the pick up will have a longer braking distance than the car which gives extra margin. If you were behind a modern sports car you could be in trouble though...
    Zag when they Zig

From what I've experienced the 2-second rule is almost impossible to follow, as some one will merge into that open space. The only place you could maintain a 2 second gap is inter-city driving, on the open road. On the freeways around where I live, about a ONE second gap is all you get, very dodgy when someone slams their brakes.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    From what I've experienced the 2-second rule is almost impossible to follow, as some one will merge into that open space. The only place you could maintain a 2 second gap is inter-city driving, on the open road. On the freeways around where I live, about a ONE second gap is all you get, very dodgy when someone slams their brakes.
    Same where I live. If you don't tailgate, you get cut off. It's just the way it is.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    The bottom half of fuel as displayed by fuel gauges always seems to decrease faster. You should experiment using the topping-off method for better consumption calculation.

Also, I think following 2 seconds behind at 120 Kms would be too much distance, so outside the draft zone.
    for the first trip i did, thats why i know the exact amount consumed, it was actually like 9.46 l or something

for the return trip i didnt refuel thats why i dont know exact amount, but my sister took it to st catherines and back and the total trip from last refill was 588.5 km, i filled up today and only put in 35 litres on the 2nd click

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    So you tailgated someone driving way over the limit for over 200kms? Wow, smart.

Personally I've found the best fuel consumption is generally at around 105km/h, at least in my old 944 and Jetta. Above that aerodynamics and revs take a serious toll. You could easily get that 8 liter/100km mark in your Corolla if you found the "ideal" speed.
    well not one person, switched every once in a while
    just so i dont lose concentration

on the return trip i followed someone for about 20k, at first he was really aggressive but near the end he prolly thought i was a cop or serial killer or something n he took an off ramp, the look on his face was priceless, expecially after he saw i had a bike tied to the boot

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    2 seconds is nowhere near enough of a safe gap at 120-130kmh. If the pickup truck hit the brakes suddenly you'd be in the back of it. Drafting is one of the least safe things you can ever do on the road, especially behind large vehicles as you can't see round them to give yourself more time to stop potential hazards. Oh, and 200km, with 10l consumed, is 5l/100km.
    dude i said 2 seconds not 2 car lengths

n im not tryin to brag or nething but i have pretty good reflexes, plus i was in an empty corolla which weighs like 1.2 tonnes, there's always a hard shoulder too if the braking distance required was actually greater then what i had, i may be aggresive but im not retarded

Thread Information