Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: PS3 price.. and more

"CELL" is NOT state-of-the-art.
    You've fallen for the Sony PR BS
    It uses ideas developed 20 years ago and seems to have forgotten the lessons from then.
    The CELL is an "assymoetric" processor , ie different bits do different things and have different capabilities ... so THAT measn that to write software to run on it the developer HAS to consider WHAT to do, WHERE to do and WHEN to do.
    So the PS3 is going to be the equal nightmare the PS2 was.
    THAT means that it will take a couple of years before we see the REAL power of those THEROETICAL 219GFlops showign up. ( Just like with the PS2 )
    By then Gates will have extended the inter-operability of the PC-based architecture to all areas ( He's seemingly said that teh PC is going to be included in teh XBox Live arena -- THAT woudl suggest games are going to be equivalen ton XBOX and PC , it's only commercial reasons stopping it )

So the prediction is that Sony will have a souple of headliner games for launch and a whole raft fo developers who have medicore gfames. After 1-2 years those medicore games will be the equal of hte launch titles and will be showign the performance of the CELL ... BUT in the meantime, Uncle Bill can drop the next generation Intel processor into the architecture and get a cheap speed-up AND can introduce the grapshics assist chips as supported in DirectX )

Sony are going to have to realise it is SOFTWARE and not hardware that wins.
    Shame they teamed with IBM ( a died in the wool hardware developer ) and not Apple ( a smart software developer )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

First off I hate debates.
    Second I would like a source for this:
    Well let me see. Its been shown the specs by sony are at the dev kit running with all cores at 100% activity. During normal gameplay this will never, ever happen. Furthermore, IGN had run a legitemate comparison on the latest ps3 dev kit vs. the 360. Guess what, suprise suprise. Very close comparion, with the 360 excelling in some area's, and the Ps3 in others. Overall, the ps3 was 5% more powerful.
    Third,
    I laughed for so long, one of the greatest rant's from a fanboy i've seen in a very long time, its as if you've found comfort in bullshitting from point to point without any consideration for the truth. Firstly, the specifications you have released are truly misunderstood and mis-interpretated.
    Here's the OFFICIAL Playstation 3 specs:

http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2005/5/16-74

enjoy

As for your bit about about Cell Processors
    Oh and your spec's about the Cell, they are wrong, much wrong. There are 6 individual processors, not one single "cell" that is 3.2Ghz. I think you should check your sources next time
    I never actually said there was 'one single' processor...there is, in fact, Seven working collectively as a synergistic processing engne

For revolution and innovation the Wii is miles ahead - cheaper, sleeker, an insane controller and a full back catalogue of games.
    Well if you really want to get literal and talk about Nintendo, were't they a little UNPREPARED at the previous E3 with just an obvious BOGUS name ('revolution') and a supposed 'black' unit that was the system. What an embarassment. They were like those kids in grade school who never did there assigned projects that they were expected to finish. In fact, I sure hoped they brought something to the 'table' this year that could face the competition. If not, they would have failed in my book being a FULL YEAR LATE. Well actually, they sort-of did. I am not going to buy a system based upon the size and the controller. If anyone is that ignorant they must be 5 years old or retarded. THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE A VIDEO/GRAPHICS CARD CHOSEN YET. And I am sorry, they are not innovative at all nor revolutionary until you have a finished spec. Then and only then can a proper sound decision be made.

http://wii.nintendo.com/hardware.html

The controllers are not all that they are cracked up to be either. They WILL become annoying if it is not played on a big screen 75" television and not on some 20" in the corner of some room.

As for your debating question:
    The ball is in your court, I have countered everything you have said in a appropriate and orderly manner, lets see if you can do the same.
    I do not revel in these acts, I, in fact, try to avoid (as I have mentioned above in my previous post) debates.

As for the Sony Playstation 3 being innovative and revolutionary...well it just is and the specs alone prove that point. Everything inside of it is state-of-the-art technology which has yet to flood the market. As a simple question I pose to anyone, how many systems do you know of can play 200gig game discs? Have High Definition Capabilities-480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p (even though right now the resolution looks high but will end up being low-end when televisions progress)? I think the only thing on the new Sony Playstation 3 that will be outdated upon release is the Dolby 5.1, but even then you have other options.

And as for the rest of what you had said about Sony delivering what they promise...well we have to OBVIOUSLY wait and see if they are lying.

I think Matra has hit the nail on the the head there with basically 2 important points. 1) No game devs can even begin to be exploring the full extent of the PS3's capabilities, especially with all it's "new" fancy tech. This also goes for the 360, though, looking at its specs, to me it's just a more powerful version using the latest (when it was designed) graphics engine technologies, so it should be easier for devs to take it to its limits.

And 2) DirectX. This is the software (I spose thats how its described) that basically pushes forward all the developments in graphics engine technology. On PC, devs make their games to utilise DirectX capabilities. Microsoft developed/s this. Microsoft makes the 360. Hmmmm.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Oh, those 200gb discs. How cheap do you reckon they'll be? Bloody expensive is what they'll be. TDK (who is developing the 200gb discs) is estimating a 50gb R disc will be about $50USD. Imagine how bad the price of a 200gb disc will be. And the PS3 may not neccessairly support them.

And I think you'll find Blitz did give a source, IGN, a major online gaming/tech site. Who I believe a lot more than you unfortunately.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

well that's useless if no current TV or monitor supports that kind of resolution
    i'll think i'll get a 360 and a Wii for the same price as one PS3 thanks...
    1920x1080i High Definition can be played on almost any HD TV...if not the Sony Playstation 3 will scale the picture down, condense and maintain perspective on almost any other tv/monitor

Quote Originally Posted by .M.
    1920x1080i High Definition can be played on almost any HD TV...if not the Sony Playstation 3 will scale the picture down, condense and maintain perspective on almost any other tv/monitor
    ah ok sweet
    As for the Sony Playstation 3 being innovative and revolutionary...well it just is and the specs alone prove that point. .
    lmao. its not how big it is but what you do with it and so far sony has done jack all except promise the world.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Oh, those 200gb discs. How cheap do you reckon they'll be? Bloody expensive is what they'll be. TDK (who is developing the 200gb discs) is estimating a 50gb R disc will be about $50USD. Imagine how bad the price of a 200gb disc will be. And the PS3 may not neccessairly support them.
    I remember reading (I can't remeber where exactly) that Sony had two options for their new Gaming Disc. They eventually chose Blue Ray. Being that they chose Blue Ray, the entire market will subside the price of it on its own. So the price will eventually fall. That being said, the price will eventually be like the now and soon to be defunct resolution restricted DVDs. Hollywood and so forth are also changing over to this new trend in the future so the price will not stay the same.

And I think you'll find Blitz did give a source, IGN, a major online gaming/tech site. Who I believe a lot more than you unfortunately.
    What I was referring to was the link to the page whereas this comparison took place.

so far sony has done jack all except promise the world.
    I know, but I believe them.

I know, but I believe them.
    thats what makes you a fanboy
    i've wieghed it all up and frankly the 360 and the Wii offer me more leaning towards the 360 for the simple fact that it's been released, with the Wii as a second console.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I think Matra has hit the nail on the the head there with basically 2 important points. 1) No game devs can even begin to be exploring the full extent of the PS3's capabilities, especially with all it's "new" fancy tech. This also goes for the 360, though, looking at its specs, to me it's just a more powerful version using the latest (when it was designed) graphics engine technologies, so it should be easier for devs to take it to its limits.
    Well, if the PS3 is coming out in November then devs have to have already taken a crack at the system and the specs cannot be flawed or falsified. Remember games don't just happen overnight, they take sometimes 6 to 10 months or even a year to complete depending on the complexity. And if Sony wants to release the new Playstation 3 with, what I assume will be Gran Truismo HD, in the form from which we see it in the presses then it has to be just about finished, and a game like that takes an extreme amount of time to create. I predict that they must have a Gran Turismo Playstation 3 already designed and conceptualized in a box.

You don't measure TV resolution in pixels wide x pixels high, you measure it in lines, i.e full HD is 1080 lines of resolution. You've been reading too much promotional guff if you end a resolution size in "i"
    – Hunter Thompson

1080 interlaced...no guff

the resolution that was displayed was 12 times better than GT4...that being said GT4 was not a game in HD

"CELL" is NOT state-of-the-art.
    The current version is, the concept is not.

the resolution that was displayed was 12 times better than GT4...that being said GT4 was not a game in HD
    but if the textures, lighting and effects aren't as good, then there's really little point in having better resolution, and DirectX applies to all those things.
    – Hunter Thompson

but if the textures, lighting and effects aren't as good, then there's really little point in having better resolution, and DirectX applies to all those things.
    Better Resolution or not, we are all going to have to change into HDTV. I am pretty sure there is a huge change over scheduled sometime between 2007-2009. It was predated for 2004 then moved to 2006. Also, I think we have to keep in mind that even if we see mario bros. 1 in HD it won't change unless the developers change it (if the picture is in HD it is better pixelated for a bigger Television...if not HD then the game will look like a non-HDTV channel on a big screen TV...and there is no worry about an HD game signal to your TV...the PS3 should convert it automatically over because it handles multiple resolutions)...I personally see a difference from GT4 to the new HD. To me it seems more fluid-like...but the finished product will be refurbished and carbon copy-ish as with all games...like I said don't expect to see top-end graphics right away. The only time you will is when the Playstation 3 starts to become obsolete.
    Last edited by .M.; 05-12-2006 at 05:47 AM.

Thread Information