Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: `Toyota to indroduce "TRD" performance division`

`Toyota to indroduce "TRD" performance division`

Toyota announces the name under which its next-gen performance models will emerge...

By MARTON PETTENDY 9 May 2006

FIRST we had Mercedes’ AMG and BMW’s M division, then came Holden’s HSV, Ford’s FPV, Mitsubishi’s Ralliart and even Chrysler’s SRT performance vehicle brands.

Now it’s Toyota’s turn to enter the ranks of bona-fide performance car brands available Down Under.

To prove how serious the Japanese giant is about matching its performance car-making rivals with hot versions of models like the forthcoming Aurion, Toyota Australia has announced it will establish Toyota Racing Development (TRD) as a separate vehicle franchise from Toyota for the first anywhere in the world.

TRD is a division of Toyota Technocraft – the company’s global motorsport and high-performance motoring arm for more than 50 years – and will be headed by Greg Gardner.

It will be charged with producing performance variants of just about everything in Toyota’s vehicle range, starting with the locally designed Aurion large sedan due on sale in November.

Toyota says its high-performance Aurion variant will be launched in the second quarter of 2007, and it’s expected to carry the Sportivo name.

If its supercharged 3.5-litre V6 and the styling concept that previewed it this year’s Melbourne motor show are any indication, the hottest Aurion should – for the first time – give Toyota an opposite number to local tuning houses like HSV and FPV.

The Chrysler Group recently ramped up its SRT performance brand with the 300C SRT-8, which will be followed by SRT versions of Jeep’s Grand Cherokee and the upcoming Dodge Caliber.

Mitsubishi is also expected to give its Ralliart brand some serious clout with a hot version of the 380 sedan and Colt coupe-cabriolet.

But it’s the financial and marketing might of Toyota that will make TRD a formidable force on Australia’s performance car stage.

With styling by Toyota Style Australia and engineering input from TRD, Toyota says the locally-developed Aurion flagship will be unique in the Toyota world.

According to Toyota, it will "offer a complete package with the accent on refined power and athletic driving dynamics".

In a press release issued on Monday, Mr Gardner said TRD was the natural choice for the company’s new range of Australian-developed Toyotas because it has a history of creating race-winners for the brand in motorsports ranging from world rallying and Le Mans sports cars to Indianapolis and Champ Cars in the US.

TRD will also be behind Toyota’s US Craftsman Trucks series campaign and the company’s foray into NASCAR racing in 2007.

"In the market research we conducted, the TRD brand was well recognised, despite the fact that it has never been directly marketed here," he said.

Mr Gardner said TRD Australia would be unlike its counterparts in Japan and the US, where the brand is known for producing performance components.

"TRD Australia will be a complete vehicle range, rather than just an aftermarket parts business," he said.

Beyond the Aurion Sportivo, Toyota is expected to release a Sportivo version of the next-generation Corolla due on sale this year (the current Corolla Sportivo was discontinued this year because of new emissions regulations), while models like Yaris, July’s all-new Camry and even HiLux will also be on TRD’s agenda.

"The Aurion definitely won’t be the only local Toyota to wear the TRD badge," said Mr Gardner. "Vehicles like the Corolla and HiLux are also under consideration," he said.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Neil Bates mentioned this on RPM on sunday, with the Toyota ARC team coming under the TRD banner. When asked about TRD, he mentioned the Aurionand seemed to allude to something coming from the ARC car or the Super2000 car they're building. A new Corrolla GT4 would be nice
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by MARTON PETTENDY 9 May 2006[/I
    FIRST we had Mercedes’ AMG and BMW’s M division, then came Holden’s HSV, Ford’s FPV, Mitsubishi’s Ralliart and even Chrysler’s SRT performance vehicle brands.
    Sorry to single this quote out but does anyone else get annoyed from reading innacurate claims like this? It makes me as its yet another historically incorrect statement from an obvious non-expert who doubles as a professional AU journo. Our Martin has obviously forgotten about Holden/HDT & Ford's old SVO from almost 40 years previous. Nissan's later SVO outfit rates no mention either

Toyotas strong marketing ey? So they'll produce an XR6T competitor and try sell it to us as if its an F6 competitor?

TBH Toyota will really be fighting to open up a new market by releasing TRD locally, although it might not be so hard. Fords biggest issue with their 6 cylinders was getting the clutch to last....

As long as they can make something desirable, that isnt obviously tacky aka Y series HSV's, they should have what it takes.
    I am the Stig

You all know how I love my rollas, but seriuosly Toyota Aust are drawing a long bow comparing their TRD Avalon to a HSV or FPV products. The Aurion will be in the same ballpark as a NA xr6 or sv6, the xr6t or ss let alone a Clubby or f6 would absolutely pants it.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Oh you got to be kidding me, oh well, the more the merrier aye? To be honest, I dont see TRD as a huge threat to mainstream HSV and FPV, but more so, as Charged just pointed out, the in house Ford and Holden products such as the NA XR6 or SV6. Forking out 60K + for a Toyota sedan doesn't sounds like my cup of tea to be honest - the Aurion doesn't look anything flash either, even that concept was shit. Black headlights? Paper cutout brakes and puny rims with a not so inspiring kit - I don't see them advertising something like that agasint the like of the balls against the wall GT, performance car king F6 or the rip roaring Clubbie. All of the beforementioned are imbedded deep in Aussie culture, save for teh F6, but people love it.
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

It'll probably get 16 inch wheels like the current Sportivo lol
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

Bring it on! make it AWD and itll sell.
    The Datto will rage again...

I'll wait till they really do it before i believe it.
    Holden might go Turbo with VE. Ford already has Turbo. So if anything they will compete with the high po 6's and 8's of ford and holden not FPV and HSV.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    Bring it on! make it AWD and itll sell.
    If they give the Avalon twin turbos and AWD it would be a genuine performance vehicle, but a low blow supercharger and 17in wheels just doesnt cut it. Just have to wait and see.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

"The Aurion definitely won’t be the only local Toyota to wear the TRD badge," said Mr Gardner. "Vehicles like the Corolla and HiLux are also under consideration," he said.
    The only cars that come out of Altona are carmy and Aurion. I wonder what other "local" Toyota's he is refering to.

I think TRD will be a good thing in Aus. Especially since the JDM Camry (And Aurion for that matter) have many more features than Aus. If TRD can introduce some of those options, Charged comments might not be too far off.

It would make sense to take overseas models and rebadge them as TRD's, like Ford did with the Focus ST and HSV have with the OPC Astra
    I am the Stig

If there only after the market of Focus and Astra then how can they ever get to FPV and HSV??
    They need AWD to counter there RWD-Less selfs in large-sedans.

Must admit i love there dum ad's Toyota right now, They are going to change the big Aussie 6, Because theres is based on F1, And the others on Touring cars, Last time i looked no Ford or Holden 6 was Touring car based or developed.

I'm not sure how an open-wheeler inspired sedan is supposed to work? So it's going to have inboard, pushrod actuated double wishbone suspension?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

And F1 inspired wings.

Thread Information